Marie Czapinski

BOA Adjudicators bios:

"Marie Czapinski

Marie Czapinski is a renowned international clinician and adjudicator and has judged and taught in

the U.S., Holland, England and Japan. She judges for Bands of America and Drum Corps

International, often as a member of the Championship panels. Ms. Czapinski was involved in the

formative years of Bands of America and was inducted into the Music For All Hall of Fame in 2008.

She has served on the board of directors for the Midwest Color Guard Circuit for the past 25 years

and was inducted into their Hall of Fame in 1996. She is a co-founder of Winter Guard International

and was chief judge in the formative years. She was inducted into the WGI Hall of Fame in 2000.

Marie is currently the project executive for New West Realty Group L.L.C., a real estate developer in

Chicago. She is the author of a book “Financial Forms for Builders, Developers & Remodelers,”

published and distributed in 2001 by the Home Builders Press, National Association of Home

Builders, Washington D.C."

http://www.musicforall.org/Programs/GN/200....Judge.Bios.pdf

Never even mentioned her waffles :thumbup:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WGI has taken over the visual caption (as a whole). Color guard people are most prevalent on panels across the board...and thusly the CG portion of the act is evaluated with great insight and WEIGHT...most color guard people wouldn't know a basics block from a toe ring. Ensemble marching is degrading in quality because of this shift...basic notions of space and line are missing even from the best corps. The cure, IMO, is a required, compulsory, routine *everyone* must be evaluated on, in addition to their field show...oh, and don't have Clarke Williams relegated to Open Class Finals...just sayin'...age is normally a great benefit to *any* profession, until the elder person fails to keep current, then it just may become a liability.

cg

One of the best posts ever on DCP.

This is at the back of my mind as well. Notwithstanding that Czapinskis have a bit of a reputation for playing favorites, what to me is more abhorrent and implausible is scores being more or less "straight lined". Apparently we are to believe that the balance among the corps is so surgically precise that every caption tends to also line up from top to bottom, as though no one ever has a particularly strong caption. It does happen but is the exception rather than the rule. The idea that Corps X has the Xth place corps in every caption is ridiculous. Vegas oddsmakers would choke the convenience of how things play out in an activity which is dependent on the performance of 150 individuals night to night.

In reality it points to an alarmingly bald faced groupthink fostered and encouraged by the fact that DCI and judging has never been independent of the individual corps as it should be. (see Lee Rudnicki) Mavericks have a very short life span in the DCI judging ranks, microscopically brief if you are goring one of the top 3 power brokers corps. This isnt suggestive of conspiracy (which is the typical strawman thrown up about this time) but self interest guiding people who like their gig to do whats likely to make sure theyre asked back.

Would truly independent judges change things radically? Probably not. But they would produce a different result and in a "sport" where missing the brass ring means taking the long dirt nap known as going inactive, the activity would probably be more diverse and healthier for it.

Maybe the current scoring system is no longer capable of drawing meaningful distinctions between performances.

Never even mentioned her waffles :thumbup:

Rumor has it that she like Corn Toasties from Howard Johnson.

Two things bother me in the world. Politicians and DCI Judging. The two, like the well-worn joke, bear striking similarities to baby diapers, and for much the same reason.

In browsing the scores from Semifinals just now I was amused to see that the 6th place Phantom Regiment was ranked 8th by Cavaliers bus mom wannabe and GE Vis 2 Judge Marie Czapinski.

Now, in Marie's defense, my old corps doesn't have a really great history of knowing how to generate Visual GE or Visual in general. At least not as measured on the Judge's recaps. 'Spartacus' was the obvious exception, and boy would I love to see if Miss Rosemont judged championships week two years ago! And the other judge in semis this year likewise ranked Phantom in 8th.

But I would like just once to see Ms. Czapinski set aside bias and rate Phantom Regiment at or above their placement in her caption. Just once, Marie. Doesn't have to be championship finals with Cavaliers sitting ahead of Rockford. Just some podunk, middle-of-nowhere show where nobody but you, me and the local town gossip will ever know. Cuz' the predictability of this particular judge's scoring is becoming mind-numbingly tedious.

Is anybody at DCI paying attention to this issue? I thought it was dealt with a few years back after Ms. Czapinski, chest heaving, said on the theater broadcast, "Cavaliers really do it for me!" Paraphrasing, of course. Remember how the next season Ms. Czapinski was relegated to Open Class and minor, middle-of-nowhere shows 23 clicks south of Podunk? I thought we learned that lesson already, guys.

Their are a lot of bias around do not pick one person The west and mid west has the upper hand on how the out come is. There is a lot of thing that need to change as business generally dose if not they are out of business in a short period of time. just my op.

Thanks, Scerpella--that's one of the most intelligent post I've seen on DCP!

Well, I am one of the grammar police. Though I like ending my sentences in 'at.' It's a Texas thing. You can correct my use of It's versus Its...can't ever get that one right either. So while not perfect, grammatically, I pay attention to some things. As others stated, "Ms." is appropriate and actually quite professional and respectful. Nothing galls me more than people calling the President "Mr. Bush" or simply "Obama." Whichever Party you tend toward, he is the POTUS--show some respect. Though I may be quite critical of Ms. Czapinski, there is no reason to be disrespectful in how I refer to her. I like to think it lends credibility to my argument, but that may be a biased fantasy. Oh, well. (that whole reply probably sounded more terse than it was intended, so... :thumbup: have one of those! ;-)

I got a great laugh out of your signature! Don't agree with a word therein, but it's a funny as heck. We have to be able to laugh at others only a little bit less than we laugh at ourselves or we're all in a big, steamin' heap!

It's - contraction of "it is"

Ex: It's nice to see you today.

Its - possessive singular pronoun

Ex: DCI has to fix its issue with horrible judges, e.g. Czapinski.

Edited by chaos001

Can't tell if OP is troll or joke. Either way: "Corps X isn't very good at Y but they deserve a high placement in Y because they are my favorite corps and the judges should know this or be fired!"

Maybe the current scoring system is no longer capable of drawing meaningful distinctions between performances.

Ding ding dinggggggggggggggggggg

WINNER!

Rumor has it that she like Corn Toasties from Howard Johnson.

That saucy minx! :thumbup: