2010 - The most BORING DCI championships ever!

At the beginning of this season, with The Cavaliers consistently losing to Cadets, Crown & 'Coats (the 3 dreaded Cs) and with BD & SCV still unknown entities, many of we Alumni & Fans were worried that our Corps was looking at a 5th or 6th Place in Indy. Personally, the way that The Green Machine never gave up, worked hard on improving and cleaning up their "Mad World" made this year one of the most exciting ever, IMO.

The advance of the 'Coats into the top 3 was equally thrilling. I view 2010 as one of the best Seasons ever. Each & every Corps that made it to Quarterfinals could have won it all in another, earlier era. Let's not forget that each of them, from Top to Bottom gave us their all & deserve to be cheered for their efforts. And while not really familiar with the "Open Class", I'm fairly confident that the above comments apply to them as well. Thank you ALL for 1 of the best years ever!

And now for something completely different...Let's stop calling them "Judges" and address them by a more honest title, "Critics"! Like Siskel & Ebert, they have differing views & opinions; how is it that we don't recognize this? Views & Opinions are NOT "Judgement" which infers non-partiality.

Better yet, why not present "Performances", NOT "Judged" where every Corps equally splits the "gate" (from my theoretical Podunk Pirates to my beloved Cavaliers)? Let's stomp the words "Competition", "Score", & "Caption" ("Woodwinds" as well) out of existence in the DC Community and shout to the World -

"Welcome back, my Friends.

To the Show that never ends.

We're so glad you could attend.

Step inside, step inside!"

Edited by AmFlag61

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Stars deserved to be in 7th place both Friday night and Saturday night. They were above and beyond better than the Santa Clara Vanguard those last two nights. A tenth of a point is little consolation on a placement that was earned and deserved. I wouldn't call it slotting so much as the judges being afraid to upset the status quo. Very unfortunate.

Overall, this was quite a boring year, period.

agreed, and did you notice how the Blue Stars' brass was placed 6th in quarters and semis? 8th in finals, I hardly think they would have gotten much worse...

the G-7 proposal has definitely influenced some of the judging this year

Boo - interesting read!

One major difference that I would propose, though, would be that the ordinals would be given without benefit of scores - just the ordinal.

Harkening back to our earlier discussion about showing captions vs performance order and where to draw the line, I tallied it up for the three Championship shows - 60% of the captions given were exactly on their final placement. Expand that to one up or one down (meaning the corps they went on right after or right before) and the number jumps up to 90%. Which suggests, to me, that the judges right now are more or less looking at the corps only in context of the one that went on before. A natural thing to do, I would submit, but in terms of total show I think it grants a natural advantage to later-performing corps.

Maybe removing the "numbers management" game would free them up to take a bigger-picture approach?

Or not... :cool: We're all talking off the tops of our heads here. (Well, those of us who haven't written books on it...)

Mike

Mike:

The ordinals must first start with scores, (unless I'm reading you wrong here). It isn't until the scores are compared that ordinals come into play. I'm guessing you mean that only the ordinals would be released?

Hey, I also rewrote a book on the history of coronary catheters. That was the surest conversation killer yet that I've come up with on dates.

Let me clarify my post.

I am only talking about the consistancy in placings from quarters to semis to finals. Places 1-17 in semis were the same as quarters.

Crossmen down 2.05 to Spirit in quarters

Crossmen down 0.55 to Spirit in semis , thats a big jump.

almost.

Blue Stars down .01 to SCV in finals

almost.....

overall I believe they got it right and that is the most important part.

This is why it's not worth it to go to DCI Finals. Hit up Allentown or one of the earlier Indy shows and you don't need to go.

for people who care that much about placements and scores, i guess.

i noticed some nice cleanup for just about every corps between allentown and indianapolis.