Blu Ray Petition

I think people are confusing streaming in HD with a one time download. I think Granny is asking for a one time download and as such it really shouldn't be a bandwidth issue for DCI. It doesn't need to come down in real time.

I'm all for it as long as it isn't encumbered with draconian DRM (digital rights management) software that will make it stop working when DCI decides to turn off its servers in a few years or locks it to the computer I downloaded it on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are confusing streaming in HD with a one time download. I think Granny is asking for a one time download and as such it really shouldn't be a bandwidth issue for DCI. It doesn't need to come down in real time.

I'm all for it as long as it isn't encumbered with draconian DRM (digital rights management) software that will make it stop working when DCI decides to turn off its servers in a few years or locks it to the computer I downloaded it on.

THIS ^^

I'm kind of surprised. I really thought all you youngsters with your fancy computers and gadgets would want your videos delivered in a format you could use in more ways and places than just your home Blu Ray player. I guess I'm just way ahead of my time.

Am I the only one who prefers renting HD movies off of iTunes? or, is it rare to keep all of your videos on a hard drive (BTW: to an earlier poster, I asked my grandson and he said he has me set up with some kind of backup system) so you can just click it and watch it on your TV?

No, I understand what you meant, but I will always choose hard copy over downloads with everything but mp3's that I get off iTunes. I used to download a lot of TV shows off there espeically since it's cheaper, but I find it annoying lately trying to watch them on my TV and they take up a lot of space on the iPod.

I think most people would rather have DCI on discs rather than just a download.

I also only have a DSL connection, and downloading HD isn't as fast as I'd like.

Edited by Kyle B

Would a solution be to send a data DVD with the files on it instead? This way you have a physical backup copy, downloads are irrelevant since you get the hard copy, etc.

I THINK some Universal or someone was actually including the data files along WITH the video on some of their DVDs recently. Hmmm. Have any of you heard of this?

Would a solution be to send a data DVD with the files on it instead? This way you have a physical backup copy, downloads are irrelevant since you get the hard copy, etc.

I THINK some Universal or someone was actually including the data files along WITH the video on some of their DVDs recently. Hmmm. Have any of you heard of this?

Many recent DVD releases have offered a "digital copy" of the movie on the disc. I think Disney does this, among others as well.

Hi Granny,

PM me and I will call and walk you through this. For downloads in High Def, that is real BluRay quality, a DVD will not be long enough to store more than 20 minutes or so. Double density DVDs can store about 40 minutes. For storing standard definition video, data DVDs are more than long enough for several hours. 2 Reasons: 1) you can use a better codec, but it will not play in all dvd players. 2) You can down-res the quality as well...

Digital copies are getting more popular with some studios, and with some content owners. It is a thing of the future. There are even standard bodies for storing digital rights in the cloud (on the net). One is headed by a Sony VP, called DECE and the other is supported by Disney...

Bottom line, you can download a hi-res movie in a day or so depending on your bandwidth. You can download a full DVD iso file in a few hours, again depending on your bandwidth. The actual DVD codec, MPEG2, is about 3-4x less efficient than the H.264 based codecs... But, older DVD players cannot decode content in the new codecs. Likely, your PC can and so can a good BluRay player.

For everyone else, the DRM issue is a pain, but solvable on a case by case basis. Best to get your rights from DCI, but I have not seen anything published by them yet. Hopefully, they will use H.264 with a flash wrapper. There are software rippers that remove the wrapper, and then you have pure H.264, which is what we want.

Best

I'm thrilled that Blu Ray is available. Yay! However...

Is there any way we can have the option of choosing between physical discs or digital downloads?

My grandson set me up with this little white computer thing (I think it's called a Mac Mini) where he can put my movies onto it and also on my new iPad and I don't have to keep track of discs. I'm able to get movies off of iTunes right onto them.

Maybe there are technical problems...I don't know. But it seems like doing this would help DCI make more money on each sale since they don't have to produce physical DVDs.

I would pay the same price.

Would any of you like to add your voice to mine?

Granny, I would pay extra to get the bluray and not have a digital download of hi def content. BluRay burners are fairly expensive, and I do not connect a PC to my living room HDTV with my 7 speakers and sub. So, for me, a digital download is limited to a PC experience, which is stereo for audio. The video is not really a problem. But very high quality audio with things like different angles, multiple audio tracks etc... are almost never available in a simple download. I would like to see DCI add a director's commentary audio option for each corp where they talk about the show, its meaning, and other "secrets" like the reuse of music from past years. I would pay extra for that as well. Hence, I am perfectly willing to spend $25 on the right BluRay, and about $1 for a digital download.

I like digital copies included with films, but not as a substitute for the real thing.

I know Microsoft is very adamant that the future is not in Blu-Ray's but in downloads and streaming, but I think we are a very long ways a way from there. People still like having something in hand for their $.