• 2003 - Bellisimo
    • 2004 - Bohemia
    • 2005 - Angelus
    • 2006 - In.trance.it
    • 2007 - Triple Crown
    • 2008 - Finis
    • 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener
    • 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance

Just like in the Blue Devils thread, rate your favorite Carolina Crown shows of the past 11 seasons, from 2000-2010.

1. 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener

This is, by far, not just my favorite Crown show of all time, but my favorite overall show of all time. This show brings out so many emotions in me that it will probably never be topped. Then again, I said that about 2008 until near the end of the 2009 season. It has, what I feel, is a moment that will always stand the test of time as "Legendary" (Puck) and has the best concept and music of any show I've ever heard. This show just has so many things going right for it that you can't go wrong. This is my "go to" show when I try to introduce an outsider to this activity. Of course, the others would be shows like Cadets 2000, Blue Devils 2000, Vanguard 2009, Phantom 2008, Madison 1995 and Star of Indiana 1993.

Best concept of any show? Really? A basic saying that's just a simplified version of Cadets '08?

And best music? Just because of Puck? What about the 60% of the show? Or the ballad(s) that are just other corps' songs?

Sorry, I'm really glad you can get so much emotion from that show, but it just pales in comparison to their '07 production. You could sense raw emotion from '07 not only through the music, but from the performance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And best music? Just because of Puck? What about the 60% of the show? Or the ballad(s) that are just other corps' songs?

Come on, think about the other great charts in that show...St. Michael's, Slalom, Where Am I, Sensemaya...I get chills just thinking about it.

Somewhere and Somewhere over the Rainbow may be other corps' tunes, but the way Michael Klesch wove them together was nothing short of brilliant.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Easy--

1. The Grass is Always Greener

2. A Sec2nd Chance

3. Tripple Crown

4. Finis

5.Bohemia

6 In.trance.it

7. Industry

8. Greek Mythology

9. Bellisimo

10. Angelus

11.The Mask of Zoro

Come on, think about the other great charts in that show...St. Michael's, Slalom, Where Am I, Sensemaya...I get chills just thinking about it.

Somewhere and Somewhere over the Rainbow may be other corps' tunes, but the way Michael Klesch wove them together was nothing short of brilliant.

Fact.

Would've been 09 if their preshow was actually part of the show, that was my favorite part about it.

How would that make a lick of difference regarding how much you enjoyed their show?

How would that make a lick of difference regarding how much you enjoyed their show?

I'm going by the actual judged show and not the preshow. I could just splitting hairs, so I'll say I enjoyed the entire 2009 package than 2007.

I already gave my vote for 2005, but I'll throw some support toward 2000. No, not the most technical show. No, not the best performed show. It was fun, though. The ballad is great. There are a couple of really good musical moments, though a number of others that leave something to be desired. I enjoy it every time I listen to it or see it, though. Also, I love that for the last little hit, the horn line seems to double down and increase their dynamic level to something way above what they had previously shown in the show - good way to finish.

This is a really tough call for this homer. I took a drum (corps) break in 2000, and did not see a show or go to championships until 2005, and I was so pleased with what I saw from that show. Adored the treatment of the Angel ballad. I consider 2005 the turning point for the decade, and every show since then has been a pleasure watch.

But in choosing the best, it does come down to Triple Crown, Finis, and Grass is Always Greener, as the numbers from the poll show. Each one brings special elements that are tough to discount: Triple Crown's flirtation with cheesiness that results in fantastic entertainment with a Guard that would not quit. Finis's fantastic treatment of the Debussy, and the non-stop homages to drum corps everywhere in the last couple minutes. But The Grass is Always Greener got my vote. Combine that championship brass performance with the creative and entertaining show design and I had to go there. Puck is just too much fun to watch, and I am big sucker for the transitions in and out of Promise of Living.

I have to say, as someone who marched Crown in it's Div II infancy with 20 something brass players, it sure is satisfying to see this kind of discussion unfold about this corps. Hats off to the board and Kevin Smith for building something special. Can't wait 'till next year.

1. 2007 - Triple Crown (The most intertaining show I've seen Crown do in 20 years of watching them)

2. 2008 - Finis

3. 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance (Took this show as far as it could go, kudos to the members. Too much body motion. An aggrevating Leon May signature - It's too difficult to get clean. Let the difficulty of the marching speak for itself)

4. 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener (Best Horline)

5. 2005 - Angelus (Great Show - Hornline got tired, but pushed through as best they could)

6. 2004 - Bohemia (Great Concept - Too much with the microphone)

7. 2001 - Industry (Innovation - Just didn't have the talent to pull it off)

8. 2002 - Greek Mythology (Again Great Concept, just lacked the talent at the time)

9. 2003 - Bellissimo (Again...just didn't think of anything better to do)

10. 2006 - in.trance.it (Abstract is hard to do, when you can't communicate with the fans)

11. 2000 - Mask of Zorro (The didn't know what else to do, I guess)

Marched Crown 90-92.

Edited by Corbin