• 2003 - Bellisimo
    • 2004 - Bohemia
    • 2005 - Angelus
    • 2006 - In.trance.it
    • 2007 - Triple Crown
    • 2008 - Finis
    • 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener
    • 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance

I don't count 2010 as part of "this decade" because when we vote for the best shows of the '10s, you can't put in 2020.

Anyway, my vote is 2009.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't count 2010 as part of "this decade" because when we vote for the best shows of the '10s, you can't put in 2020.

Anyway, my vote is 2009.

This was done because in the Blue Devils thread, they asked for the best shows from 2000 - 2010 so I saw no reason to deviate and exclude 2010. Plus, some people consider the decade from 2000 - 2009 and other consider it from 2001 - 2010. So ... it makes everybody happy by just including all from 2000 - 2010.

:innocent:

I think CC began in 07 to establish themselves with an identity of creativity in design. In 08 they immediately departed for a more traditional design and concentrated on their music book and rep on the brass. Always great drill but nothing to separate them from others, which is what they were in 07...very seperate! Then 09 came and (IMO) they began to take on some BDesque characteristics with running into formations, body movement and scattered, complex drill...but staying true to their musical identity. I really couldn't place this year's show, some great moments but again nothing that separated them the way they were in 07. I was a BAC supporter then, saw Finals live in Pasadena and CC 07 is still one of my favorite DC shows ever. So...the question is..do CC seek an identity of their own or continue to mix it up with Cadets, Coats, Cavies...facing off with music books and frenetic drill.

I'm pretty sure my rankings belong in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread.

1. 2004, Bohemia - I agree with DCI who mentioned that people tend to only focus on the negatives in this show and don't let themselves enjoy it. I hated the beat poetry, but you know what, the other 9 minutes of show are some of the most enjoyable I've witnessed. Seasons of love (singing aside) was done very well, and the transition into Bohemian Rhapsody with that ending was one of my favorite moments in DCI history, and I could listen to the recording over and over again.

2. 2006, In.Trance.It - I regret only going to the first audition camp. A quirky show with a contemporary flavor, and I could listen to this show, in its entirety, on repeat.

3. 2005, Angelus - Saw it in Bristol, RI that year and was touched. I had become so accustomed to the fact that drum corps was all about in-your-face madness, but Crown really showed us another side of the activity. I loved the musical selections, and when that mello line was on, they sounded pretty #### good.

4. 2007, Triple Crown - I almost feel like this show's title belong's after A Second Chance. The first of Crown's shows where I thought "We have a future champion on our hands." It was just a great, all around fun show, and the guard was terrific.

5. 2009, The Grass is Always Greener - Fun show, great music, performed at an extremely high level. I felt they should have won.

6. 2003, Bellisimo - The beginning of the climb. I love the effects used for the bell theme. I love La Fiesta Mexicana and the Debussy piece was great.

7. 2010, A Second Chance - I began to like this show as the season came to a close. I feel like I can now actually appreciate it, but I'll still need to watch it some more. Just because it's 7th doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I just find Crown's 2003-2007 years to be my favorite.

8. 2008, Finis - I don't know why, but I didn't like this show as much as I thought I would. The opening set the tone for the program for me, and I just didn't care for the pacing and such.

9. 2001, Industry - Ouch, hornline... ouch.

10. 2002, Greek Mythology - Whoops. Mulligan.

11. 2000, Mask of Zorro - I have to be honest, I just don't care for the music, even when I played it in high school. Not sure what a finalist corps was doing playing this music.

2010 - Brass was underscored in my opinion, but I'm not down on the field and that is where they are scored...

Well, I sat in the very first row on the 49-yard line on Finals, and I agree with you. The quality of intonation and the concept of tone produced across the ensemble were unparalleled. Plus, Crown was playing runs while on the move that other corps barely challenged standing still. And Crown was FLYING while playing some of this stuff.

As much as I like it, Klesch's book was not flawless, and there were some arranging short-comings (particularly in the Khachaturian section) that probably hurt Crown's score. That said, I *still* had them as the #1 brass line of the night.

2007... 2009... 2007... 2009...

I CAN'T DECIDE. 2007 was just so fun, and the ballad was gorgeous, and I really felt like Crown came into their own this year (...and horses are my favorite). But the Promise of Living put me in tears last year, and it was such an entertaining show (...and green is my favorite color).

I'll hit 2009 before I can change my mind again. :)

But props to 2006. Like other people have stated on here, definitely an under-appreciated show.

I would have to say...

1. 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener

2. 2008 - Finis

3. 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance

4. 2007 - Triple Crown

5. 2004 - Bohemia!

6. 2006 - in.trance.it

7. 2005 - Angelus

8. 2003 - Bell-issimo!

9. 2001 - Industry

10. 2002 - Greek Mythology: Stories of Gods and Heroes

11. 2000 - Mask of Zorro

1a - 2007 - Triple Crown - opening and closing statements define this show.

1b - 2008 - Finis - a.k.a. "Hooked On Classics" - an extremely strong 4th place finish. loved the hit after Candide

1c - 2009 - The Grass is Always Greener - PUCK

I consider these a triumvirate of shows that belong together. Even though 2010 reflects back to 2009, it somehow doesn't have the same feel or flavor as these 3 shows.

4 - 2010 - A Sec2nd Chance - one of my 3 favorite shows of this year. Brass sound is amazing, but parts too exposed to allow for maximum scoring, but I like that they went with this anyway. Most distinctive brass sound of the last 4 years. Suncoast had the most distinct sound 83-86, especially 84-85.

5 - 2004 - Bohemia - in spite of the mic'd voice in the middle of the show, the opener and closer are outstanding. Remarkable hornline

improvement in 2 short years.

6 - 2006 - In.trance.it - cool show, needed percussion score to jump a spot

7 - 2005 - Angelus - nice arrangements, great opener medley, brass sounded a little forced and thin in spots but strong in other spots. Transition year?