Are there any other graphic designers on here?

I figured with all the plethora of corps-involvement on here someone would know something or someone, even if it's just to tell me to email the corps and ask :tongue: . I'm going into my last year as a graphic design undergrad (before going to grad school for advertising) and I'd like to do some more freelance work, paid or unpaid depending on the opportunity, in order to build up my portfolio. So I figured, why not look into doing so for an activity that I love? I know that DCI offers a summer internship program for graphic design but it doesn't work for me because (a) I can't afford to house myself for 3 months in Indianapolis and (b) I've been taking summer classes. I'm not trying to make this sound like a job interview :thumbup: I'm just wondering if anyone else on here is a graphic designer working for/with a drum corps or a few drum corps and could help me out in getting an opportunity (obviously for a later date) to do some creative work.

Thanks for indulging, guys. :innocent:

. . .you could always do what Brent Becker did to get his gig at Stanbury: post your work or ideas on here for folks to see and see if you end up getting a nibble.

He was the guy that did the alternate unis right? I remember when he was on here… I had no idea he'd gotten a job at Stanbury. DCP is useful to society after all. :innocent:

Are you looking to get paid, or just the experience? Do you have a portfolio? I actually work as a career advisor for designers. Your best bet would be to put together some redesigns of past show posters, t-shirt designs, or even a website redesign, and submit it to the corps along with a cover letter explaining that you'd like the opportunity to work for them.

There's nothing wrong with doing free work to get your name out there; that's how a lot of drill designers get their start, and since this is a niche market of non-profits, offering pro-bono work at first makes a ton of sense.

How are your photoshop/illustrator skills?

Are you looking to get paid, or just the experience? Do you have a portfolio? I actually work as a career advisor for designers. Your best bet would be to put together some redesigns of past show posters, t-shirt designs, or even a website redesign, and submit it to the corps along with a cover letter explaining that you'd like the opportunity to work for them.

There's nothing wrong with doing free work to get your name out there; that's how a lot of drill designers get their start, and since this is a niche market of non-profits, offering pro-bono work at first makes a ton of sense.

How are your photoshop/illustrator skills?

I'd be okay with both, actually. :innocent: But seriously, the experience at the moment is more vital than the money. I'll look into the redesign thing, though. Thanks for that!

I consider my self well versed in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I'd love to talk to you more about the business if you've got the time.

I'd be okay with both, actually. :innocent: But seriously, the experience at the moment is more vital than the money. I'll look into the redesign thing, though. Thanks for that!

I consider my self well versed in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I'd love to talk to you more about the business if you've got the time.

Ya man, feel free to PM me any time. I've never worked with drum corps as far as graphic design goes, but keep me posted how it goes. An online portfolio would be another huge thing. Like someone said about, that's exactly how Brent Becker got his start in uniform designs. Look up "Becorps" on DeviantArt.com if you ever get a chance.

Ya man, feel free to PM me any time. I've never worked with drum corps as far as graphic design goes, but keep me posted how it goes. An online portfolio would be another huge thing. Like someone said about, that's exactly how Brent Becker got his start in uniform designs. Look up "Becorps" on DeviantArt.com if you ever get a chance.

I have an online portfolio on VisualCV but I haven't seen much traffic on it nor many opportunities in my neck of the woods to link to it. I have some of my work on LinkedIn, too. That's the only real problem with the graphic design program here is they wait a very long time before introducing us to the business side of things, which is why I'm trying to take on as many freelance opportunities as possible to get my name out there.

Contact the Cadets. They are forever looking for people to do design work for free or in exchange for a few t-shirts, etc. There was the notorious logo contest and then they were soliciting ideas for shirts/merchandise a few months ago.

The catch-22 that every design student faces of not being hirable without experience, but being unable to get experience until you are hired is no fun, especially in today's super competitive employment market, I would assume. If you do start working with them, or someone else, make sure and document your dealings with the client, how your designs changed and evolved to accommodate their feedback, etc. That's the sort of real-world exposure that is valuable when job searching, since anyone can come up with great stuff when there is no one to please but yourself, but when you have to make other people (who may have very strong opinions) happy during the process, you really learn a lot.

I would theorize that George Hopkins would definitely have a few strong opinions, so what could be more educational? :innocent:, go for it!

Edited by NakedEye

I think you'll find it's pretty easy to get work if you're not looking for money. I've been working for a corps for the last few years simply because I said I was willing to help. (The fact that I'm an alum may have helped a little, since they knew me, but still . . .)

Here are some things I've learned. Most of the people involved in running a drum corps are A) way to busy, B) have little or no experience with design, marketing, branding or any of the things we designers think are important. You'll probably run across people who are willing to let you have free-reign over a project and/or others who want to nit-pick and control the whole process without any real idea what they're talking about (and a few who fall in between). Still, it can be a rewarding experience and you may get a few good pieces out of it. I would start emailing corps directors and see what they say. (The re-design process that some have mentioned may be an interesting exercise, but I think it's probably unnecessary.)

Good Luck.