Blue Devils 1989 Ballad Soprano Solo

Something is wrong. The thread about the BD 1989 soloist wasn't due to come up again until next week.

That's only in a leap year.

That's only in a leap year.

Boo, great job on the commentary at semi's!!!

Back on topic,

Haven't we beat this dead horse over the years? I feel that topic need to be put in a cement cask and buried at the bottom of the pacific. But thats just me

next someone will ask why/how SCV repeated Phantom in 89 after 88...blah blah blah

Jeez, it was 21 years ago for pete's sake!

When I marched, I never remember ANYONE discussing any corps performance from 1968!

Good lord, give it a rest already. At least talk about something IMPORTANT, like the fall of the Berlin Wall (yes, that happened the same year too!).

next someone will ask why/how SCV repeated Phantom in 89 after 88...blah blah blah

I KNEW I forgot something! how DID this happen?!?!?!

jk :cool:

One of the most challenging solo's/duet's ever written in DCI history. It was up the octave all season. It was nailed all season until finals night (and #### that gremlin for crawling in his horn .. happened to Barry at Star the year before as well). I do recall hearing a recording of it being played down once .. not sure of the circumstances (might have been during reps of rehearsal or for an encore). I've also heard the lower split played up an octave as well on different recordings.

One thing about BD soloists back then .... sometimes they would add a little extra kick or change things up slightly to keep it fresh. A lip trill here, a higher partial there ... fact is they just had the chops to play around with it and show that they had skills and weren't just robots. It gave their performances a bit more edge and power .... as performers or "showmanship" if you will.

I'm thankful my legacy CD collection that I purchased well over a decade ago had the semi's spliced into the recording. Some great work by the sound engineers to cut in and out ....... yes I could tell where they did it .. but it wasn't glaring. I wish they could have edited the video to do the same. The kid was a stone cold killer ....... he just had a bad night and the rest is history.

(I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way .... the Video of finals should have been edited and had that part cut out. It was a fluke and never should have been released without editing. Maybe you can draw a parallel to the Crown mello situation at finals this year .. and I sincerely hope that there is no camera angle on the DVD that shows him suffering ... I don't care if high cam is on the moon, it shouldn't be on the DVD).

Could anyone even try to read the original post and stay on topic? It makes it very hard to read from the shadows if there's nothing good to read.

The topic has been done to death. Indeed, it had been done to death a year after this board first went online.

There is simply nothing new to add to it.

This is sufficient to explain the thread drift you speak of.

Jeez, it was 21 years ago for pete's sake!

When I marched, I never remember ANYONE discussing any corps performance from 1968!

Good lord, give it a rest already. At least talk about something IMPORTANT, like the fall of the Berlin Wall (yes, that happened the same year too!).

I've said it before, if anything important was discussed here, it wouldn't be an internet forum.

Plus, the Berlin Wall wasn't THAT important :cool:

Boo, great job on the commentary at semi's!!!

Thank you. It was fun to do the audio blog. I hope the recording can be released some day.

Did you by chance hear Rondinaro and DeLucia do their live between-corps dialogue on Thursday?