Drum Corps Family

I was working on my family history and it started me thinking about music in the family. I was wondering how many of you out there come from Drum Corps families? Ya' know - my uncle marched here or my mom marched there.

Me? I'm the 1st to march.

My father-in-law marched in a NYC corps back in the late 30's until he left for the Army in WWII. My Dad marched in a L.I. fire department corps in the 50's and in the Sunrisers in the 60's. Him and my Mom started the L.I. Kingsmen in 1964. My brother marched there 1964-1977, I marched there from 1965-1980 and my wife marched there from 1972-1980. My sister marched L.I. Kingsmen 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th 1983-1986. My folks volunteered at Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th 1983-1986 and Cadets 1987-2005. My wife and I volunteered on and off with several corps from 1981 thru 2004. My son marched in Revolution in 2005 and in Blue Stars 2006 through present. He ages out in 2013, but my wife and I will probably continue to volunteer until we're too old to do it.

Other than that, our family is normal :cool: .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a few of you have deep roots in Drum Corps. I'm envious!!

My father-in-law marched in a NYC corps back in the late 30's until he left for the Army in WWII. My Dad marched in a L.I. fire department corps in the 50's and in the Sunrisers in the 60's. Him and my Mom started the L.I. Kingsmen in 1964. My brother marched there 1964-1977, I marched there from 1965-1980 and my wife marched there from 1972-1980. My sister marched L.I. Kingsmen 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th 1983-1986. My folks volunteered at Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th 1983-1986 and Cadets 1987-2005. My wife and I volunteered on and off with several corps from 1981 thru 2004. My son marched in Revolution in 2005 and in Blue Stars 2006 through present. He ages out in 2013, but my wife and I will probably continue to volunteer until we're too old to do it.

Other than that, our family is normal :cool: .

Your dad (and yes I've known him for nearly 40 years) and mom established what might be the "first family" of Long Island Drum Corps, although the Frankenburgs of Lindenhurst are right there too.

Without getting too deep into my family's DC background, suffice it to say that my daughter Tammy (11 years in Boston and now BDB's Guard Caption head) never went home from the hospital. She went directly to a Hurricane camp weekend in Norwich CT.

Poor kid never had a chance. Must have been her karma though - they won that year.

1st and only....of course if/when I have kids...they are going to Penn State and marching corps.

It's not really up for discussion... :lookaround:

LOVE it!!

1st and only....of course if/when I have kids...they are going to Penn State and marching corps.

It's not really up for discussion... :lookaround:

As a father of 6, all grown - okay - one is still 16 and just finished her rookie DC year - wait 'til you see the things that are up for discussion that you thought you had already ruled on.

Yeah I know... but you'll see.

2 siblings, me and my brother. My bro and I joined different corps in the 60's-70's. Mom went to as many contests as she could (she was a shift work nurse), cheered for us and wrote down the scores. Small family :-) I liked drum corps more than my brother. That's all folks!

No one in my family has marched Drum Corps.

I am the third to march in some kind of Marching Band (My mom marched in High School, cousin marched in High School and I marched High School and University).

However, the reason I replied is that, someday when I have kids, I am going to introduce them to this activity and pray that they love it enough to want to march. I won't force them to, obviously, but I really hope they'll want to be a part of it.

Edited by CMFC4Ever

Other than that, our family is normal :lookaround: .

I saw your folks at Clifton, glad to see they're still doing well. Saw them last summer too, at Giants stadium, as I was marching in with the Bridgemen. Couldn't stop and chat so I saluted them on the way by.

I marched with your sister in 27th in 85/86, lost touch though, how's she doing?