Dear DCI Top 20 Corps

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's ultimately what we make it to be, of course.

actual fans of dci are becoming the minority on here more and more, so it's getting harder and harder to find threads to chat with people who dare to like what's going on with the activity this section of the board is supposed to be devoted to.

anyhoo, congrats to BD on an amazing year and a great championship peformance. it was the cap to a tremendous year for DCI.

Thank you, Lance, but why do you think the negativity is perpetuated? I don't know, but I've sure wondered. It's almost like a wishful self-fulfilling prophecy with some. I keep thinking back to why DCP was created, particularly in reaction to the negativity of some prior sites.

What can we (or anyone else) do to help direct the negativity into more positive channels? Do we just keep doing what we've been doing? Is it even possible to change negativity? Is it a case that people who are generally satisfied with something don't tend to write about their satisfaction?

I keep trying to offer reality as I perceive it, which I admit is not how others necessarily see it. And while I don't expect to change many minds, I feel an obligation to offer insight if I have any. I think you moderators try to do the same.

Your insight into the number of posters and the sense that things are a little better with the beginning of the off-season is an insight casual readers may not have, being that you're a moderator. I hope you're right about things getting a little better.

I personally don't believe things are nearly as bad as some insist. But then, some of them may not believe things are as good as I insist.

No matter what, thankfully we've got DCP to (hopefully) discuss these things in a civil discourse.

Mike and Lance, this is all so simple.

The tenor on DCP is simply the result of...(wait for it)...

Negative Inertia (N/A)

In other words, it will take several years of us singing Kumbaya and holding hands for the tenor to approach civility.

($1 to Bruckner)

:cool:

Edited by garfield

I think its seems like a lot of complaining because we also read into what we want thats posted. There is no emotion in words so it comes across as we percieve.

It is also a place where people of the same interests come and "let their guard down" and let off steam about things.

I like to believe that if I met anyone or eveyone on the site I would get along with them because we have more in common than we dont...

Anyone agree ?? Thoughts ??

G

I think its seems like a lot of complaining because we also read into what we want thats posted. There is no emotion in words so it comes across as we percieve.

It is also a place where people of the same interests come and "let their guard down" and let off steam about things.

I like to believe that if I met anyone or eveyone on the site I would get along with them because we have more in common than we dont...

Anyone agree ?? Thoughts ??

G

I absolutely agree. I could sit down at a table with a complete stranger and, if I find out he/she is a DC fan, I could talk for hours knowing absolutely nothing about him/her except for that common interest.

I've been selling extra Friends tickets for years and never, ever worried about being paid.

If I can't trust a drum corps fan, I believe I can't trust anyone.

This is in the same idea that was sent to Blue Devils.....

Can you all do a show without props? Without Amps? Without synth's?

Play music that the average paying DCI contest customer will know?

Give us amazing soloist? In your face brass and drums? guards that do guard work/rifle work?

Make us "throw babies!"

I don't care what key the instruments are in, just march your butts off and entertain us! Please??

Let me see if I can answer these one by one.

No. No. No. Who's average?

Can't control that. Some years you get amazing soloists, sometimes not.

Done. Done. Done. Done and done.

dcp is overwhelmingly negative about everything. we forget there's only a few dozen regular posters on here, and negativity about nearly everything about DCI is what they perpetuate the most.

i just have hope that it will get better soon...it already has a little since the off-season began.

I don't feel that DCP is very negative at all. It's certainly a lot less negative than people typically are in the real world about any other topic. There are some posters who just slam everything that's happened since 2000 or 1970 or whatever, but they're a tiny minority. The thing is, in a given season everyone is going to see shows they just don't enjoy, or see shows that have one or two things that just really bother them, and yes, as Michael Boo said, people are far more motivated to talk about things they don't like than things that they do like. And yes, while the season is going on and rankings are being made by different people with different criteria, it can feel frustrating, and posting here is one way to vent that feeling. But generally I think most of the posts here are positive and respectful.

I don't feel that DCP is very negative at all. It's certainly a lot less negative than people typically are in the real world about any other topic. There are some posters who just slam everything that's happened since 2000 or 1970 or whatever, but they're a tiny minority. The thing is, in a given season everyone is going to see shows they just don't enjoy, or see shows that have one or two things that just really bother them, and yes, as Michael Boo said, people are far more motivated to talk about things they don't like than things that they do like. And yes, while the season is going on and rankings are being made by different people with different criteria, it can feel frustrating, and posting here is one way to vent that feeling. But generally I think most of the posts here are positive and respectful.

well good!

it's ultimately what we make it to be, of course.

actual fans of dci are becoming the minority on here more and more, so it's getting harder and harder to find threads to chat with people who dare to like what's going on with the activity this section of the board is supposed to be devoted to.

anyhoo, congrats to BD on an amazing year and a great championship peformance. it was the cap to a tremendous year for DCI.

I couldn't agree more with all the above points.

Mike and Lance, this is all so simple.

The tenor on DCP is simply the result of...(wait for it)...

Negative Inertia (N/A)

In other words, it will take several years of us singing Kumbaya and holding hands for the tenor to approach civility.

($1 to Bruckner)

:cool:

I still can't wrap my head around the whole concept of negative inertia in drum corps. Some people might say that's because my head is in the sand.

But there's a lot of great drum corps going on in the sand.