Those that have tried and failed...we thank you

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funds and membership seem to be the common poison around corps now a days. And with the harsh economic times, it isn't getting any easier. Hopefully things will get better. Best of luck to those entering/returning to DCA and to those who are still active.

Although I've never attempted to start one, I was Treasurer of a long time senior parade corps when we met our demise. The final nail in the coffin was membership. We could never seem to get new blood into the corps, and we tried many different ideas. Of the nine members remaining when we ended, seven went on to march in other senior/alumni corps and all the equipment was donated to at least one of those.

I'd take out proximity to a large corps. Look at Fusion ~ within a less than 100 mile radius they have Cabs, Bush, and well Reading. Yes, they came in at 110.0 miles from Dover NJ but you get my point.

People will go where they want to go, proximity or not.

I knew that was coming. Fusion is close to heavily populated metro areas and they had a prior history of drum corps. To be specific, Empire had over 20 people from Erie in their corps. It wasn't any fault of theirs, everybody recruits as many as possible, but it matters just the same.

Edited by Mike_B

I have luckily never been a part of a corps that has gone under and more lucky to be part of a corps that is very much on solid ground financially.

Having said that, I think the fundamental problem facing all corps (new and existing) is that drum corps makes no economic sense. The cost to supply the product far outpaces the demand for the product and what people are willing to pay for it. This problem exists whether you have a tiny corps or are the Blue Devils.

If I were to launch a new corps, I'd be be focusing on the income side of the equation because your expense side is already clear: Running a drum corps. Now what's the sustainable model going to be to pay for that?

If I were to launch a new corps, I'd be be focusing on the income side of the equation because your expense side is already clear: Running a drum corps. Now what's the sustainable model going to be to pay for that?

I have been giving that a lot of thought lately and I think we are on the same sheet of music.

My philosophy on starting a corps is

1st

Concentrate on recruiting and building a solid group of performers and volunteers.

2. Fund-raise and generate revenue.

The two go hand in hand.

Finances are the biggest hurdle we are facing, but I think as we plan our mini-corps for 2011, having music that is both fun to play yet challenging is the biggest difficulty. When you have enthusiastic members with various levels of experience, it can be difficult. We have decided to take our time building from a few members and to grow long term. We're planning 3 years out by meeting easy to obtain goals and building a solid base. We could only have our percussion section compete at Rochester this year, but with Bugler's Hall of Fame doing winter shows, that will go a long way to helping us achieve what we want for next year.

No one said it would be easy! But I look to the future and I see what can be.

Dennis O'Neill

Director, Standish Guards, Plymouth, MA

I knew that was coming. Fusion is close to heavily populated metro areas and they had a prior history of drum corps. To be specific, Empire had over 20 people from Erie in their corps. It wasn't any fault of theirs, everybody recruits as many as possible, but it matters just the same.

A majority of Fusion's membership was made up of the Skyliners from 2004-2006 the first couple of years on the field, but grew as the years went on. (Not said to be a cheap shot against Fusion but stating facts as from a member of the Skyliners at that time and knew a majority of the members who went to Fusion). People will have their decisions where to march for whatever reason regardless of distance. I could have driven half the time it took to Sky and marched in Brigs, Empire, or White Sabers (marched W.S. in 2007 while still marching in Sky Alumni due to Sky field corps being sidelined). If the dedication is there, the distance won't be that much of an issue.

Edited by Skydrummer9