Thank you Cavies

A big thank you to the Cavaliers for switching their Snares in the middle of the show. :tongue: I thought I heard something great, and low and behold, the snares looked smaller, but sounded fantastic! I thought it was Mylar Drum Heads, and upon having this sent to me from a friend, YouTube confirms it.

(Sorry I couldn't put it on., but it's there.)

That alone for me was worth the price of admission (I saw the Quarterfinals at a Theater). Also, the Cavies and Bluecoats shows were my favorite. And a lot of respect to all the kids for all the work they did.

Edited by kmansdrummin

A big thank you to the Cavaliers for switching their Snares in the middle of the show. :tongue: I thought I heard something great, and low and behold, the snares looked smaller, but sounded fantastic! I thought it was Mylar Drum Heads, and upon having this sent to me from a friend, YouTube confirms it.

(Sorry I couldn't put it on., but it's there.)

That alone for me was worth the price of admission (I saw the Quarterfinals at a Theater). Also, the Cavies and Bluecoats shows were my favorite. And a lot of respect to all the kids for all the work they did.

Ditto what he said!!!

:tongue:

I thought the mylar heads gave a great, full sound, but they cut through the ensemble significantly less than the kevlar heads did. Of course, the shallower drums might have affected that as well.

I think, especially with the "hybrid" heads that most corps are using now, there has been a move to lower pitches and a more refined, "wetter" (snare-ier) snare sound. In that context, the mylar heads, while having that classic sound, aren't *that* different than what we've been hearing in the last few years. Point being - if a corps chose to go with mylar for a season, I don't know if it'd be that big of a culture shock up against eveyone else.

And yes, that's a good thing!

Mike

Cavies switched drums in the 2nd tune (the one with "This is my rifle"). They put on Yamaha "indoor" (shallower) snares with mylar (plastic) heads.

Mylar / plastic heads are stretchier, which means they're usually lower pitched (you tighten them down, they stretch out again over time). Kevlar ("new-school") heads are much tougher to stretch, which means they can get a lot tighter (higher pitched). The original kevlar heads were so tough that they caused tendonitis in a lot of players from the mid-90's; the player's arms were absorbing most of the impact. Newer "composite" heads seem to have a little more give in them, and that makes a difference.

Anyways, point is that mylar heads are not as durable, and generally are tuned to lower pitches.

Mike

I do think shell depth did have an issue with how it cut, but every time I saw them, when they were clean, it cut like a knoife

I thought the mylar heads gave a great, full sound, but they cut through the ensemble significantly less than the kevlar heads did. Of course, the shallower drums might have affected that as well.

I think, especially with the "hybrid" heads that most corps are using now, there has been a move to lower pitches and a more refined, "wetter" (snare-ier) snare sound. In that context, the mylar heads, while having that classic sound, aren't *that* different than what we've been hearing in the last few years. Point being - if a corps chose to go with mylar for a season, I don't know if it'd be that big of a culture shock up against eveyone else.

And yes, that's a good thing!

Mike

must be video then, because live they cut...that fast duple roll in that break...wow. shades of Star 92

I really enjoyed it because the sound was far more appropriate to the style of the music at that point in the show.

I enjoy both dry and wet snare sounds when done well, but too often lines are too locked in to fundamentalist views about tuning that lead them to producing sounds that just don't fit the style of the program.

Kudos to Cavies for recognizing that the jazzier portions of the show required a different sound.