You know drum corps is dying when.............

Hmm . . .what about getting Scott, Key, Wayne, Jay Bocook and a few others to write some original stuff for it, then?

Nothing real long, maybe a few fanfares, dittys or some cool warm-ups.

Then, you could even have video contests . . ."write a new warm up chorale/etc" judged by brass arrangers; play into the music education angle of DCI. Can you imagine the winning submission having their original chorale played by Phantom/BD/Cadets? That'd be totally cool. :thumbup:

I threw this idea by the Regiment to do for this year and they never used it...so here goes...free for anyone who wants it.

Fans can choose the corps' encore song. Votes come with a download of the corps performing the song. So, you pay .99 cents to vote and receive the digital recording of the song you voted for.

This could all be done via DCI's site, the corps' site, anywhere. The corps already have the rights to this music and are already selling these digital downloads.

Just driving more traffic.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that, but my family isn't very well off at all, and more likely than not I'm going to community college before university anyways, so that isn't really a sacrifice for me. I'm job hunting anywhere I can work, but no one is hiring an unexperianced HS kid, especially once I tell them the hours I can work due to marching band and other school commitments

My family wasn't either. Drum Corps is expensive, there's no doubt.

McDonald's doesn't hire inexperienced HS kids, anymore? That's one of the places I worked at during the school year. I also babysat and taught Gymnastics to 5-6 year olds on Saturday mornings. (yes, I was in marching band and on the swim team as well....didn't have a lot of down time).

Being in a World Class corps has never been cheap, and my family didn't have the cash for me (and my two siblings) to march. So, we all worked. Now tour was about $500 - $800...but minimum wage was less than $3.00/hour as well. The point is....finances have always been a problem. But, members need to want to do it badly enough to figure out how. It would be great if tour was free.....but, it's not, so we move on and figure out how to make it happen.

My family wasn't either. Drum Corps is expensive, there's no doubt.

McDonald's doesn't hire inexperienced HS kids, anymore? That's one of the places I worked at during the school year. I also babysat and taught Gymnastics to 5-6 year olds on Saturday mornings. (yes, I was in marching band and on the swim team as well....didn't have a lot of down time).

Being in a World Class corps has never been cheap, and my family didn't have the cash for me (and my two siblings) to march. So, we all worked. Now tour was about $500 - $800...but minimum wage was less than $3.00/hour as well. The point is....finances have always been a problem. But, members need to want to do it badly enough to figure out how. It would be great if tour was free.....but, it's not, so we move on and figure out how to make it happen.

I've applied with no luck anywhere..I also live in a pretty small town that HEAVILY relies on tourism, so that doesn't help matters. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just saying it's tough. The McDonald's in town has almost exclusively adults working there as second, third or even fourth jobs..I'm still trying. I'm really going to be relying on business' generosity when it comes to this upcoming season..

I've applied with no luck anywhere..I also live in a pretty small town that HEAVILY relies on tourism, so that doesn't help matters. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just saying it's tough. The McDonald's in town has almost exclusively adults working there as second, third or even fourth jobs..I'm still trying. I'm really going to be relying on business' generosity when it comes to this upcoming season..

also...how are your grades? Can you articulate your story to the local Lions Club, VFW, etc.

Hard work WILL be rewarded. It is in drum corps. A person finds their reward in achieving excellence.

Try facebook! No joke, I know people who have Posted "Help me tour this summer with..." and have received donations.

Good Luck, hope to see you on the Field in '11. :thumbup:

also...how are your grades? Can you articulate your story to the local Lions Club, VFW, etc.

Hard work WILL be rewarded. It is in drum corps. A person finds their reward in achieving excellence.

Try facebook! No joke, I know people who have Posted "Help me tour this summer with..." and have received donations.

Good Luck, hope to see you on the Field in '11. :thumbup:

Ok, thanks for the ideas! Both of those are really good ideas, thank you tremendously!

You know that Drum Corps is dead, not just dying, when no one cares to complain about the changes that happen every year. Two valved bugles caused a stir in the 70's as did nonsymetrical drill. The 80's brought in the front pit area, etc... As long as the fans and members of drum corps have this passion in their hearts drum corps will never die!

:thumbup::tongue::tongue:

having the Floridakid posting on this forum asking for ideas on how he can get an opportunity to march drum corps next summer tells me drum corps is most certainly NOT DEAD.

Actually that concludes that it is indeed dying. A few years ago, he would have been able to find a corps very close and in a very reasonable price range. Not so anymore. Now you have to SEARCH for the corps to join. They used to come looking for you.

Actually that concludes that it is indeed dying. A few years ago, he would have been able to find a corps very close and in a very reasonable price range. Not so anymore. Now you have to SEARCH for the corps to join. They used to come looking for you.

They actually only come find you in Soviet Russia