You know drum corps is dying when.............

No kidding. I aged-out over a decade ago, and I agree that these types of posts are little more than trolling from bitter has-beens (or never-was)

I like diversity of opinions. I like to hear from those that are frustrated about the clear downward trajectory the activity is currently enduring, as well as those who are cheerleaders and/ or apologists for DCI's present conditon and future direction such as yourself. I don't think either camp are " trolls ".

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the solo required actual dynamic contrast? Something beyond f-fffff (in the lower range)?

Listen to the soprano solo in Anaheim's 1974 show, Tower of Power's So Very Hard to Go :laughing:

'perc2100' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:45 AM' post='2927397I agree that these types of posts are little more than trolling from bitter has-beens (or never-was)

So then, anyone who expresses bitterness over the disappearance of nearly one thousand drum and bugle corps and their related fanbases and all the nearby hometown competitions and the disenfranchisement of anyone today who has neither the money or the connections to be part of today's drum-and-brass-band activity automatically labels that person as a trolling has-been, or worse, a trolling never-was, and with the implication therewith that person has absolutely nothing to offer the current participants . Got it.

It isn't "all about the kids", it's about all the kids.

Pretty much. Anyone who CONSTANTLY comes to DCP, posts the same tired arguments about how much better drum corps was in the 70's when hundreds of corps toured locally on a shoestring budget with minimal funding and (gasp) folded due to lack of funds and organization while at the same time feeling the need to disparage, insult, and tear down current drum corps designers, directors, staffers and corps every chance they get (current designers, directors, staffers etc who are doing FAR more for the activity than the complainers are doing from their couch) is indeed a bitter has-been troll. I'm glad you understand :laughing:

Well, guess drum corps is dead. And who in their right mind would wear military dress shoes for drum corps? That just sounds painful. And as someone who performs in them regularly, I think I can safely say that I'd NEVER want to march a modern drum corps show in anything but, say, Vipers...A hybrid marching and DANCE shoe.

Drum corps is dead. Time for everyone to disperse. Nothing to see here. Except, you know, fantastic outdoor STAGE PRODUCTIONS by talented young PERFORMERS.

If drum corps is dead, I'm perfectly happy watching whatever the drum corps "zombies" are doing on the field now-a-days :laughing:

By the way, to put to bed one myth of the Dinocorps fan, the idea that "voting with their wallet" actually has any measurable impact...

In the day and age where many top cops have operating budgets in the millions of dollars, any form of financial exclusion by these sorts of individuals is not really felt. It may be barely observable in a few organizations here and there that have a broad annual donation campaign, but any slight decrease here is easily made up in other areas of corps' broadening revenue streams. If you wish to make a statement by not purchasing merchandise, your gesture is instantly diluted by group of teens behind you waiting to snap up t-shirts, hats, sticks and stickers.

Some simple math....

Say 1,000 Dinocorps fans decide they are not going to make their usual purchase of about $100 in merchandise (which is a pretty high AVERAGE spend). Most corps merchandise is operating on a 2x markup, meaning that is only about $50,000, factor in fuel and vehicle maintenance, shrinkage, etc. and the actual returned to the corps on that amount is more like $42,000.

This sum represents about 0.05% of the average top corps' budget. It is foolish for any business of the size of these organizations making long-term or even near-term strategic decisions based on a potential short-term change of 0.05% or even 5%.

Unfortunately your simple math does not work out - if $42,000 is 5% of the budget that means that the corps has a budget of $840,000.00. So if $42000.00 represents 0.05% o a corps' budget that means that the corps has a budget of $84,000,000.00 - and a corps with that kind of budget is nowhere to be found, but you're right - the loss of $42,000 in revenue would be a pittance to them.

One thing us Dino's can do, and it is why we have extra spending cash for souvies, is math. :laughing:

QUOTE (perc2100 @ Oct 19 2010, 12:45 PM) *

No kidding. I aged-out over a decade ago, and I agree that these types of posts are little more than trolling from bitter has-beens (or never-was)

Nobody is a "never was". Anyone who participated in any capacity for even just one season contributed as much as anyone else to the activity.

I like diversity of opinions. I like to hear from those that are frustrated about the clear downward trajectory the activity is currently enduring, as well as those who are cheerleaders and/ or apologists for DCI's present conditon and future direction such as yourself. I don't think either camp are " trolls ".

the trolls are the ones who come in, make a smart ### remark and leave.

So then, anyone who expresses bitterness over the disappearance of nearly one thousand drum and bugle corps and their related fanbases and all the nearby hometown competitions and the disenfranchisement of anyone today who has neither the money or the connections to be part of today's drum-and-brass-band activity automatically labels that person as a trolling has-been, or worse, a trolling never-was, and with the implication therewith that person has absolutely nothing to offer the current participants . Got it.

It isn't "all about the kids", it's about all the kids.

Pretty much. Anyone who CONSTANTLY comes to DCP, posts the same tired arguments about how much better drum corps was in the 70's when hundreds of corps toured locally on a shoestring budget with minimal funding and (gasp) folded due to lack of funds and organization while at the same time feeling the need to disparage, insult, and tear down current drum corps designers, directors, staffers and corps every chance they get (current designers, directors, staffers etc who are doing FAR more for the activity than the complainers are doing from their couch) is indeed a bitter has-been troll. I'm glad you understand :laughing:

here's one thing the complainers arent doing, which does affect the activity:

spending money on it. So maybe their voice is one to listen to. no matter what great works everybody involved may do, if what they are prodcing is turning paying customers away, maybe there IS a problem

here's one thing the complainers arent doing, which does affect the activity:

spending money on it. So maybe their voice is one to listen to. no matter what great works everybody involved may do, if what they are prodcing is turning paying customers away, maybe there IS a problem

The arguement that I have seen every time that this is said is that (paraphrasing). "there are 15 teenagers to fill the void for each complainer who isn't spending money". I have not seen the stats or spreadsheets to support that though, and what little math I have seen has been suspect at best.

One other point I wanted to make on evolution of the activity / art form; I do not think that we exausted all of the possibilities of a 2 valved G bugle before we moved on to the 3 valved one...and so on up the evolutionary ladder. I appreciate where drill has gone and even today's drill writers will harken back to some very old school days and those moments always draw thunderous applause when done well. If you doubt that have just one corps hit an 8 count high mark time properly placed and the crowd will respond.