You know drum corps is dying when.............

I don't think that drum corps changed to meet the artistic sensibilities of the performer. Most people who march are more concerned with perfecting their performance level. The artistic changes came from a designer/competitive standpoint.

It doesn't have to be about the artistic sensibilities of the performer. They could just be flat out bored.

If drum corps hadn't changed, marching band would have continued to evolve thanks to the likes of WGI and such. Then, the break-neck shows would be the realm of the high school group (relatively speaking, obviously not quite at the same level we see DCI at today) and since it's available to everyone who attends a high school, drum corps would seem quaint by comparison. What would be the draw?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is where you are wrong young grasshopper. Who says performance art has to evolve? How much has opera changed in the last 200 years? Do they now mic their performers? How about the symphonic orchestra? How many have added synths to the mix? In fact the instrumental make up of the symphonic orchestra is basically the same today as 100 years ago. Ballet? In truth most performing arts groups find a niche and exploit that niche. Sure they grow. There’s different staging and interpretation in ballet, opera and symphonic music, as well as the new works. Yet the core of the art form stays the same. I think it is highly unlikely you will see the orchestra start dancing the next time you go to a concert.

DC has forgotten what makes it unique. The pure, hair-raising sound from an all brass choir, the intricate precision of a rudimentary drum line and the movement on the field. Although the pit can be a nice supplement, it has become dominate and polluted the pure brass sound. Everything else is unnecessary.

If a performing arts group wants to survive it must never forget its audience. What’s the point of performing if you have nobody there to witness the performance? I think what most dinos object to is the changes have not made DC more entertaining, but less.

You didn't hear? George Hopkin's next gig is adding Stratocasters to chamber music. And the next big thing is going to be Gregorian Chant rap.

Then again, George Hopkins (and others) have no clue what a USP means.

It doesn't have to be about the artistic sensibilities of the performer. They could just be flat out bored.

If drum corps hadn't changed, marching band would have continued to evolve thanks to the likes of WGI and such. Then, the break-neck shows would be the realm of the high school group (relatively speaking, obviously not quite at the same level we see DCI at today) and since it's available to everyone who attends a high school, drum corps would seem quaint by comparison. What would be the draw?

From personal experiences, many of my fellow members were bored with musical selections, show variety, etc. I didn't agree with any of that, but the one thing you can count on with 14-21 year olds is that they will work hard for reasons to complain or be bored (kinda like DCPer's :thumbup:).

I think you are right for the most part, but many of the people I marched with were not a part of the BOA scene, or cared about it. I wasn't a part of the BOA, being from Alabama, but I certainly think there is more artistic merit than what happens outside of it. It's all a matter of opinion.

i agree totally.

I don't think that drum corps changed to meet the artistic sensibilities of the performer. Most people who march are more concerned with perfecting their performance level. The artistic changes came from a designer/competitive standpoint.

Finally, we agree on something!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

quick head to the DCA Forum and be a conspiracy nut :tongue:

I love the music of Miles Davis, but I personally think the be-bop era is when jazz started to die off. The reason? It was common for jazz musicians (Davis included) to turn their backs on the audience and play to the band members. The audience members eventually felt they were no longer important to the people making the music.

There are parallels to what's been going on in drum corps. If the fans don't believe they are important to those who create the product, there will be dissatisfaction.

Wow, this is the best parallel to DCI that I've seen written. IMHO, it's EXACTLY what's happening...turning the back on fans.

This is the crux of the problem - people don't recognize the music. I am pretty familiar with Cuban Fire and I only recognized about 2 bars of La Suerte De Los Tontos (aka "The Sweat of Tonto").

Also - you say "listen again". This is another big problem in my opinion. It seems to me that more and more, it takes multple viewings of a corps to connect with and start appreciating their show. The vast majority of people that see a drum corps show during the summer attend one show. They don't get a chance to see it again. And so they don't connect.

That could explain why you don't see growth in the fan base like you used to. We aren't creating very many new fans because it's only the people who are hardcore (hardcorps?) enough to go to multiple shows in a summer that are becoming fans anyway.

I don't think we are creating many new fans because drum corps is a very niche activity within the realm of another niche activity.

It was never a very large group of fans to start with....maybe fewer than 1/2 million worldwide and natural attrition has led to most of the decline. We aren't quite replacing the fans we lose due to natural causes and that has a ton of factors.

As far as what the corps are offering, it's the classic judges vs. fans thing. Judges are fans too, but they look at a show from a minute perspective. Fans look much more globally.

It was once described to me this way by a guard judge. "You hear the crowd ooo and ahh about 12 guard throwing sevens and all of them catching them simultaneously. I look at whether or not each catch was parallel to the ground or not."

So, fans aren't as good a judge as a judge is. But, the key here is in the show's designers. Smart drum corps can be fan friendly drum corps. Drum corps which appeals to new members can be drum corps that current and legacy fans will enjoy. It's about striking a balance. It's about perfecting the minutia of performance while entertaining the crowds, but a 2 minute park and bark isn't going to do it, either. Again, it's a balancing act. Many have tried and failed. Some...much fewer have tried and nailed it.