You know drum corps is dying when.............

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all true...but even half of your list involved off the field things that had nothing to do with the fundamentals of the game being systematically altered in terms of it's basic structure. For example, the fact that the Drum Corps season no longer has May or September competitions is a" change"... but it did not fundamentally alter the actual competition we see on the field. Likewise, New York- New Jerey losing a top 12 level DCI World Class Corps is similar to Brooklyn losing the Dodgers. While both are geographical off the field " changes ", neither fundamentally changed what we see on either the baseball diamond or the Drum Corps competition field. Baseball, as mentioned, has certainly undegone changes. You correctly listed a few above. But baseball's changes that have taken place pales in comparison to the breadth, degree, scope, and major face lifting radical transformation that the Drum and Bugle Corps movement has undergone in just the last 50 years alone... let alone the last 100 years. There is " change " and then there is " major face lifting change ". It's all a matter of degree. And the degree of changes in Drum Corps post WW2 compared to baseball's changes in post WW2 is just breathtaking in its enormity.

VERY well stated. I think that another legitimate point is that there is a significant difference between "change" and "transformation."

What's the old saying? "Change is taping wings to a caterpillar and professing that it's now a beautiful butterfly. Transformation is when the caterpillar forms its own cocoon, and after time, emerges as a beautiful butterfly."

When marching bands began doing "corps style" field shows, they made programing changes that emulated drum & bugle corps productions. Generally speaking, they did not abandon their woodwind instrumentation and other concert instruments for all bell front brass instruments, and then claim to still be marching bands. All of the fundamentals of the make up of the ensemble remained. They wanted to change to "be like" drum corps in their presentation, not internally transform themselves into drum corps.

In the case of the drum corps activity, much of the concern is about the internal "changes" (in the last 10-12 years) that have lead toward more than just similarities with the marching band activity. We're still routinely debating the possible incorporation of woodwinds into the drum corps activity, with many people defending such a "change" as progression of the activity. To me, that doesn't sound like external change, that's internal transformation, similar to the point made about Fife & Drum Corps incorporating bugles. Doing so made them drum & bugle corps, and no longer fife & drum corps. However, as a result, we didn't lose fife & drum corps in that process, they still exist. We (thankfully) gained drum & bugle corps, but now threaten its very existence when the transformation includes the addition of some things (i.e. woodwinds, synths, strings, etc.), or the elimination and/or devaluing of the very things that made it distinct and unique from marching bands (i.e. exclusive/specific keyed brass).

When fundamental changes have occurred in drum corps in the last decade or so, the result has been more akin to "transformation" into something else (marching bands), rather than simple changes within a unique, artistic performance ensemble/activity/idiom.

Heh; also not called 'BUGLE corps International" for a reason. Now how can we change that pesky Winter GUARD International :mat:

I think Cadets last year had a fairly old school drum break (Battery in an arc/line standing there throwing down while the brass marched behind them). Might be remembering wrong...

kinda old school, tho i dont remember that many parradiddles back in the day. and yeah for WGI, maybe there needs to be WPI. Mark needs more headaches :mat:

You know Drum Corps is dying when..... So many actually WANT Crown to do Lion King!!!

only if they play the banished Boynd licks

Ha!

I literally laughed out loud at that one

I'm sure he did too if he saw it. Then he probably followed with "that #### Ream" :laughing:

VERY well stated. I think that another legitimate point is that there is a significant difference between "change" and "transformation."

What's the old saying? "Change is taping wings to a caterpillar and professing that it's now a beautiful butterfly. Transformation is when the caterpillar forms its own cocoon, and after time, emerges as a beautiful butterfly."

When marching bands began doing "corps style" field shows, they made programing changes that emulated drum & bugle corps productions. Generally speaking, they did not abandon their woodwind instrumentation and other concert instruments for all bell front brass instruments, and then claim to still be marching bands. All of the fundamentals of the make up of the ensemble remained. They wanted to change to "be like" drum corps in their presentation, not internally transform themselves into drum corps.

In the case of the drum corps activity, much of the concern is about the internal "changes" (in the last 10-12 years) that have lead toward more than just similarities with the marching band activity. We're still routinely debating the possible incorporation of woodwinds into the drum corps activity, with many people defending such a "change" as progression of the activity. To me, that doesn't sound like external change, that's internal transformation, similar to the point made about Fife & Drum Corps incorporating bugles. Doing so made them drum & bugle corps, and no longer fife & drum corps. However, as a result, we didn't lose fife & drum corps in that process, they still exist. We (thankfully) gained drum & bugle corps, but now threaten its very existence when the transformation includes the addition of some things (i.e. woodwinds, synths, strings, etc.), or the elimination and/or devaluing of the very things that made it distinct and unique from marching bands (i.e. exclusive/specific keyed brass).

When fundamental changes have occurred in drum corps in the last decade or so, the result has been more akin to "transformation" into something else (marching bands), rather than simple changes within a unique, artistic performance ensemble/activity/idiom.

Well said... I couldn't agree more.