Rennick resigns

They are the exception. Are there any other corps out there who have had the same staff for a long period of time (more than a couple of years)? In recent years it seems like the music plays and every switches chairs......

Cadets, for the most part.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't play the instruments, Phantoms battery will still be up there next season.

He, in fact, did NOT play the instruments. But he DID provide the

product. Scott Johnson provided the same thing for BD when he came back. 91-93 were NOT the "glory years" for BD drumlines. Scott comes back in 94 and they have had a consistently great line ever since. Having talent only gets you so far. Talent with a sub par product will drag a group down QUICK. (Crossmen, anyone?) Rennick will be Rennick at SCV and won't try to be "Casella Lite" in his approach or writing, which has been a problem the last few years. I have always been a Casella/Gusseck fan and have great respect for the Rennick team. Good for you, SCV!

hmm, I don't think it's a blow to regiment at all. him leaving might help motivate the corps to do a complete overhaul on their design and approach going into next year, which they clearly need. They've been a bit inconsistent from year to year since Paul came on staff, but the ONE consistency was their percussion dominance. It is what it is but I don't feel that Paul leaving Regiment is going to hurt the corps at all. If Regiment retools their staff going into next year and improves in all captions but maybe dips a little in percussion (hopefully not though) that might make for a better overall corps by finals.

Now... who's got Jim C's number? :thumbup:

It's my understanding that Paul had little to no say in the design elements of PR's shows since he arrived. All he did was make great drumlines with sweet books. The overhaul in design you're looking for won't happen until the Program coordinator that has been there since 1993 finds God .. or moves on.

$$$

Not entirely...one of Jerry Seawright's genius ideas was to hire the right people for the job, and then let them DO their job.

Plus the culture of BD -- at least when I marched -- allowed for a certain amount of interperative freedom...the backfield sop solo at the end of "Latin Implosion" was the result of the soloist fooling around during a run in the arc....Wayne cocked his head, and said "Y'know what? Keep that."

Even an uber-rookie like me can get an idea heard and incorporated (happened re the first halt in the show, in fact).

That can't apply only to the members...it starts with the staff being allowed to experiment and suggest (which bleeds down to the members)...and the knowledge that you might at least be given the courtesy of having an idea listened to goes a LONG way.

It's my understanding that Paul had little to no say in the design elements of PR's shows since he arrived. All he did was make great drumlines with sweet books. The overhaul in design you're looking for won't happen until the Program coordinator that has been there since 1993 finds God .. or moves on.
Not entirely...one of Jerry Seawright's genius ideas was to hire the right people for the job, and then let them DO their job.

Plus the culture of BD -- at least when I marched -- allowed for a certain amount of interperative freedom...the backfield sop solo at the end of "Latin Implosion" was the result of the soloist fooling around during a run in the arc....Wayne cocked his head, and said "Y'know what? Keep that."

Even an uber-rookie like me can get an idea heard and incorporated (happened re the first halt in the show, in fact).

That can't apply only to the members...it starts with the staff being allowed to experiment and suggest (which bleeds down to the members)...and the knowledge that you might at least be given the courtesy of having an idea listened to goes a LONG way.

and which one has been more successful as an organization???

Bret Kuhn would be a good fit tat Phantom

Word on the street is Bret Kuhn will write the battery and Ellis Hampton will be caption head. Both are MORE than capable. Haven't heard anything about the pit arranger though.