Big Sounds at Reading

What's up with this pointless arguing? It is what it is. Let finals weekend do its thing and we will squeeze a few more drops, guaranteed.

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Ya know Tom....sometimes I ask myself, "can anyone be any more ignorant"? Thanks for giving me my answer.

Have you read this guy's reviews? He has a Phd in everything, but I can't question ONE thing out of his 50,000 words?

And don't worry, I won't DEFEND Empire. I'm just an alum... but I wouldn't mind seeing some of those kids enjoy what other Statesmen have enjoyed.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

Have you read this guy's reviews? He has a Phd in everything, but I can't question ONE thing out of his 50,000 words?

And don't worry, I won't DEFEND Empire. I'm just an alum... but I wouldn't mind seeing some of those kids enjoy what other Statesmen have enjoyed.

It's one thing to disagree with what Big W says, however you are insulting his intelligence. There IS a difference. Perhaps you could go back, read over your comments and see if a mea culpa would be appropriate. I will however give Empire credit. 2 weeks ago it was all about them cleaning their program, and here we are 2 weeks later and they have cleaned the program and are now seeing how much cheese they can add to cover it all up.

It's one thing to disagree with what Big W says, however you are insulting his intelligence. There IS a difference. Perhaps you could go back, read over your comments and see if a mea culpa would be appropriate. I will however give Empire credit. 2 weeks ago it was all about them cleaning their program, and here we are 2 weeks later and they have cleaned the program and are now seeing how much cheese they can add to cover it all up.

OMG, we agree (kinda).

Apparently I'm the only one who reads this guy's reviews.

All year it's been "Empire's Dirty."

Now it's "Empire's Max Out."

Maybe he could have said "Great job Empire, you really cleaned up."

And yes - though I don't know if I need to apologize for this because I think anyone who has ever taught a corps is probably thinking the same thing - my reaction to his unnecessarily detailed and personal "Inside Baseball" reviews is, "Oh yeah, who do you teach?"

And another thing: The beauty of DCP is that it ISN'T RAMD. So if you want to say something you should use your REAL NAME. Putting my name on the bottom of my posts is my mistake.

REVIEWS PEOPLE! One person's opinion, just like a judges opinion. Lets not S**T on the guys that have the cajons to post a review. The more you do this, the less people want to write reviews, and I for one and thankful as all hell for the folks that do reviews, whether you agree with them or not.

There were times when I was marching, I would read a review on here on Monday morning, NOT agree with it at all, but politely said "thanks for the review" and moved on. I think we all should be doing just that.

To BigW, Jeff Ream, Gadget and the rest...thanks for the reviews over the years! You folks do a fantastic job!

Trust me dude - i would love to as well. And to be fair, he gave a very positive review, but it seems like you focused on the one negative thing. As far as being clean, I think anyone from the corps being honest would say that we have a lot of work to do. It's going to be an awesome week / weekend :thumbup:

Tom. You just need to stop.

When you perceive anyone as even so much as to question anything about your corps or possibly be negative, you attack and insult them. You're rude. You don't 'question'. You insult. You bully. You mock. This post says it all, dripping with nasty sarcasm. You're nothing more than a bully. You make Empire look on this board to be a bunch of pushy bullies that are angry and frustrated that they're not getting their way. I don't think that's very fair to the active membership or the staff.

No, I don't have a Ph.D. You can question me- anyone can, but you were prety smarmy about it. Your choice of words was deliberately insulting and designed to provoke and demean me. I don't have to tolerate that. Heaven forbid I stand up to you.

Do you realize that some of your comments are wonderful dry tinder and fuel for people who march in other corps and wonderful motivators? I learned that 30 years ago when certain opponents insulted us. You haven't seemed to have figured that out. They take what you say and use it to push themselves even harder in rehearsal and to motivate each other. You're not helping your cause in any way.

So, it'd be best of you took a really deep breath and knock it off, huh?

As to using my 'real name', perhaps I just want to avoid the whole "my resume is larger than yours" game. If there's truth there, should it matter?

Maybe as some have said, we just don't like being shoved around. I can deal with it. I've been there and done that, but here, do I have to take it with a smile? I don't think so. I'm not being paid. I'm not on a staff, nor am I performing with any unit unlike several people here on DCP who have to mind their P's and Q's and can't respond to the shoving.

I've found through talking privately with several people online and meeting several this season that the reviews are a help to a lot of people who can't make shows, are curious about the NE corps and where they're at, or in the case of the Alumni groups, it's the only real thanks or feedback they might get other than the applause that night. I think I've been very honest and quite fair to everyone. I think if I were dishonest or disingenuous, I'd be called out by more than Tom, and rightfully so.

I also think people need to keep in mind someting-- Nick clearly knows this-- The corps themselves know their program better than anyone, including any judge. They know what's to happen and how. They're totally intimate with their show. The judges and spectators don't have the Brass and percussion scores, nor the drill sheets in front of them. All anyone else can really do is take a guess as to what's left that needs addressed in the program unless it's painfully wrong and obvious at this point. They can only infer based on the fact they only have a few minutes to observe the perfoemance that night, and not have the chance to rehash the product for many hours in infinite detail.

There are a lot of things that can get by judges and by spectators, but that you as a performer know didn't go as well as you wanted. It's the desire to fix those issues that define excellence and a top-end unit. If Empire has them- they'll deal with them, and usually, at this point, they take a lot of effort to fix, no matter who you are.

I also think I was quite clear in my 50k post that Empre is clearly in reach now, though it will still be very difficult. As Spinoza said,

"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." It applies here. Take it to heart for this weekend, if you're competing, regardless of who you're marching with.

I for one really enjoyed the review

I wish more people just posted their honest opinions of what they thought - good or bad. I hate reading the "everyone was fantastic" reviews - because we all know it ain't true.

See ya all next week!

Mike

Grenadiers Guard designer 2010

Thank you, Mike. Everyone deserves better than a Cream of Wheat review. I try to give that. :thumbup:

Heh- My job is the pits. Anything that is outside of my job is a highlight. I think that explains why I drive Ream nuts at Alumni rehearsal. I'm just do excited NOT to be working and doing something that makes me happy. :thumbup:

you drive everyne nuts. LOL. good review.