SCV '88 or '89

Me personally, I prefer the '88 version, mostly because of the 'newness' aspect. Musically, arrangement-wise, and drill wise I'd probably pick '89. I think the arrangements especially were better and drill was crazy (oh, I like the masks on the whole corps and the Masquerade masks in the pit). However, I think the "WOW" factor was greater in '88, mainly because it was 'fresh'. I especially like the opening from under the tarp, the DIAGONAL company front at the end, and especially the WHOLE CORPS DISAPPERING!!! and the Phantom REAPPERING in '88. I guess I really just want to combine the two show's best features and create one show, but I don't think that technology is permitted (yet).

What are your opinions?

Woo hoo !! Probably the 10th time in a year for this !! LOL

1989 Vanguard, without a doubt. Passion, Determination, Sophistication.......

G

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think '88 was the better corps, and '89 the better show.

SCV got spectacularly hosed in '88, and, by all rights probably should have been the 2nd place corps in '89 (and would have been if a certain field perc. judge from Clifton, NJ, didn't dump Phantom that night.)

Oh yes..and Phantom Regiments drumline was just stellar in 89, huh ??

G

Oh yes..and Phantom Regiments drumline was just stellar in 89, huh ??

G

uh no :rolleyes:

I prefer '89 SCV, but it was also my first year in Drum Corps, so it gets some bias that way.

Preferred 88 over 89. Glad they won with the 89 show though because they were so close in 1988. Madison fully deserved that win as they were a step above everyone else in 1988. 88 was one of my favorite years as my three favorite corps all had fantastic shows.

Pretty sure there are multiple threads about this in the historical forum, including one that's currently active. Doesn't this thread belong there?

As for which one I prefer, I have always liked the '88 version better, mainly because it "feels" truer to the actual Broadway show, and also because I felt that having guys in the guard helped tell that story better. I really missed that all-male rifle line in '89. Also, to me, the build toward the Phantom's disappearance at the end felt more emotionally climactic in '88 than in '89.

Both programs were great, and I have a lot of respect for Santa Clara for what they achieved in the late '80s, especially in terms of putting a theatrical production, almost literally, on the field. But if I have to compare both versions of their "Phantom of the Opera" show, then '88 will always win out, for me.