Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

Accckkk! I was just going to post a :thumbdown: to you for stating the truth about the speculation. But here's where you lose me. Allow me to turn this around - what "value" have electronics added to modern shows that have increased attendance (besides the synth player's Mom and Dad)?

I'm not challenging you unless you can't provide statistics, or even anecdotal evidence.

Are you speaking of musical "value"? Isn't that a subjective "gain" that's different for each fan? Is "...well SOME people will like it" a legitimate reason to add an element, particularly one with the added cost and hassle-value, when the other side - "...and some will hate it" is equally as legit?

Yes, it's all subjective. It is MHO. Electronics have added value in the ability to use keyboards and guitars to enhance the music being presented,as needed. Teal's show this year...Spirit last year..really used these new things as features...very well. Just about everybody is using synths, and using them well. I loved the sound of the 2009 Cadets pit, complete with synths,

The low end synth sound has enhanced the bottom end of the overall sound, which has created a rich overall tonality IMO. I know others may disagree, and that's OK.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea that DCI is actively driving away anybody is totally bogus...just DCP reactionaries complaining as usual.

Hogwash. Many of the people who were instrumental in turning me onto drum corps all those years ago no longer attend shows or even follows scores because show designs left them bored and indifferent several years back. Claims that the direction DCI has taken (the group of corps taken as a whole) hasn't driven fans away is complete and utter hogwash. I've spoken with too many people whom I know to have been serious fans in years past who aren't interested any more to even consider your claim anything resembling credible. Please, do stop; it's undignified.

Hogwash. Many of the people who were instrumental in turning me onto drum corps all those years ago no longer attend shows or even follows scores because show designs left them bored and indifferent several years back. Claims that the direction DCI has taken (the group of corps taken as a whole) hasn't driven fans away is complete and utter hogwash. I've spoken with too many people whom I know to have been serious fans in years past who aren't interested any more to even consider your claim anything resembling credible. Please, do stop; it's undignified.

That sort of thing happened all the time...anecdotal stories of a statistically few people is hardly proving your point or disproving mine.

Actually, I am not concerned about drum corps losing its "niche" status. If anything, I would like to see drum corps break out of its niche status, become more maintstream, and market itself to a broader audience.

I am concerned, however, about a number of long-term trends that threaten this activity. If economic and social trends continue, then interest in this activity could continue to decline. That eventually could lead to an even tougher financial situation for corps - which in turn, would adversely impact performance on the field. In the long run, the two will go hand-in-hand.

Again, I don't think that high school (or even college) programs could ascend to the level of the best drum corps today. I just don't think that is possible, given the limitations that the scholastic programs face. But I do think that drum corps could deteriorate, if those at the helm of this activity continue to make poor, short-sighted, self-centered decisions. The leadership of this activity need to take bold, decisive action, to prevent that from happening - and no, I do not think that the G7 proposal is that.

Here's me as role of curmudgeon again...I'll take the role on.

Drum corps was NEVER mainstream and will NEVER be mainstream.

What is happening more than anything else is older fans are dying. Yes, dead people seldom buy tickets. The percentage of replacement with younger fans is not keeping up with the dying ones.

And DCA has a bigger problem. As someone pointed out in a recent DCA thread...the reason they liked DCA is they always knew everybody in attendance. The danger here is obvious and the tipping point more extreme. DCA will need to introduce drum corps to new fans if they are to survive...my gut tells me the high school crowd is not DCA's target demographic.

So, attendance is going to continue on a slow downward trend for DCI...a faster one for DCA. By the time I am a dead drum corps fan, it most likely won't be around anymore.

So...my advice...enjoy it while you can.

Do you have a list of these people...

first...a list of the people who turned you on to drum corps who no longer attend shows?

How about this list of the "too many people....aren't interested anymore?"

It would be wonderful to have a list of the names. I would gladly listen to their reasons as to why they don't come to shows anymore. I would bet their reasons are far more diverse than you give them credit for.

yeah we've only provided at least 2 examples in here, but "we're making it up"

:thumbdown:

Oh, please, yourself. He does no such thing...you are just making stuff up here. You have yet to post anything where Hoppy has said electronics = more people. You just make statements like this with NO evidence to back it up. None of the links others have posted have supported you either.

I can and have supported it Mike. He's made it no secret...read his blog.

You just refuse to hear what you think is false.

No, you just keep on quoting 1/2 of what he said and ignoring the rest. BTW...nice way to change the subject when you can't support your POV on the topic we were discussing.

Of course, the tanking economy has nothing to do with that. What you...or anyone...does not know is whether attendance would be better or worse...or the same as today...if the changes had not happened.

economy is a part of it sure. But you don;'t see a pattern here Mike? Do you really not see it?

DCI has done a lot to keep legacy fans interested. Legacy DVD's...alumni corps performances at events...not sure what else you want them to do. I'd hate for DCI to put straight-jackets on the actual competitive shows being produced and performed to please some nebulous legacy contingent that comes from many decades.

just waht do Legacy dvd's do to compel fans to come to shows Mike? And how many people will really pay the prices you see at many shows today for one corps?

very few.

in fact, those folks stopped coming. and if attendance was something to crow about, DCi would have released numbers.

Which is just what is done today. Even at the YEA! sponsored shows, since is turning into a Hoppy-bash. Just look at the crowds...you see people from every era of drum corps, plus new fans from HS all over the local area to the show. The idea that DCI is actively driving away anybody is totally bogus...just DCP reactionaries complaining as usual.

I've bveen to USSBA, TOB and even some BOA shows Mike. And the amount of people there as just fans...not there to support a family member is actually pretty small.