Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

The example I excerpted at length --the one where Hopkins demonstrated how little he'd researched the supposed audience he hoped to reach-- certainly showed him identifying the addition of electronics as an element that would help increase the size of the audience. You haven't shown otherwise. You even agreed with me, when you wrote that Hopkins's point was "more relevant and contemporary drum corps = more people". Surely you're not denying that Hopkins's argument was that electronics would help make drum corps more relevant and contemporary. Would he have written at length about how drum corps needed to be more "cool" to attract a future audience, in a proposal meant to convince his colleagues of the need for electronics, if he didn't think the two were connected?

You are missing the point, IMO, of what he was saying. It's not the 'hardware' he is talking about; it's the 'software'...the programs...these can be made, according to George, more relevant to draw in more young people as audience and members. IMO that is what he was saying. He NEVER said a piece of hardware (i.e. electronics) equals more people. He spoke about the USE made of things like electronics to create programs geared to attract the young audience.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We want to be able to turn the radio station to the drum corps channel, and actually hear drum corps, not marching band. It's different. We know it is. You know it is. Quit trying to take it from us.

No one is taking anything from you or me. Drum corps is indeed marching band, and has always been so. To try and say otherwise ignores the obvious, IMO.

It's not 'different'...it's the same thing, except for some instruments not yet legalized...and hopefully they will be someday (soon, preferably).

DCA continues to throw out the regional growth, but it is and has always been an East Coast centric activity. I remember the hub and bub when it was suggested DCA finals could come to North Carolina for a year...ah the blasphemy of such a suggestion.

DCA's fan base is showing no evidence of growth. It is stagnant. And for that matter, so is DCI's. Stagnant at best.

The East Coast 'base' of DCA is indeed having problems. When the competitive corps such as the Skyliners, Brigs, Cru and Sunrisers fail...and Bush has trouble fielding a decent sized corps, DCA is in trouble, IMO...The existence of outliers who come to champs is great, but if the East Coast portion of DCA fails, so DCA fails overall, IMO.

True, we shake our collective heads when we listen to the way some staffs talk to each other...and their kids.

I agree. I'm blessed to work with a band that places well. Once out of the top since 1989. we don't discuss scores with the kids. we discuss making the performance better, and we have a motto..."sarcasm is not an effective teaching tool".

No, because your assertion just is not true. There is no 'pattern'. You can't seem to see THAT. Trying to hang show attendance on the presence of a synth is just bogus...IMO of course.

it's not just the synths Mike, which shows you don't read. it's synths coupled with other stuff coming thru amps, coupled with design and music selection. it's been a slowly growing issue for probably 5 years now. people have had enough and walked away...with very few out there to replace them. if all these band kids were truly out there jumping in their place, we wouldn't see DCi directors talking about stuff like they are in the DCW interview.

Even they see it, they just refuse to be held accountable.

Not true...as I showed those supposed 'examples' did not say remotely what you are saying it does.

right. and I'm the King of England

The example I excerpted at length --the one where Hopkins demonstrated how little he'd researched the supposed audience he hoped to reach-- certainly showed him identifying the addition of electronics as an element that would help increase the size of the audience. You haven't shown otherwise. You even agreed with me, when you wrote that Hopkins's point was "more relevant and contemporary drum corps = more people". Surely you're not denying that Hopkins's argument was that electronics would help make drum corps more relevant and contemporary. Would he have written at length about how drum corps needed to be more "cool" to attract a future audience, in a proposal meant to convince his colleagues of the need for electronics, if he didn't think the two were connected?

between us, no. But give Mike time to work his spin :dontgetit:

we're dying? I've been watching shows since 1977. I'm now 44. Hopefully, I'm no where close to dying. Statistically, I have almost 30 years left to watch drum corps. Also statistically, I'm in the age bracket where I'm making the most money in my life...and the older I get the more disposable money I'll have, because the house will be paid off, etc.

What age group do you think funds drum corps? 15-30? You need to drastically re-evaluate the age you think us "dinosaurs" are. We are in our 30's, 40's, and 50's. We were the ones watching in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The "dinosaurs" are what fund DCI and drum corps.

Another thing that rankles, but wasn't necessarily discussed here. All you new age drum corps people...those of you with the "anything goes" wishlist for drum corps seem to think that us "dinosaurs" want to revert back to the 60's or 70's. We don't. What do we want? Music to be more important than visual...full songs, or at least full musical ideas...traditional or "similar" instrumentation...(sure, some would like a change back to G, but will take Bb, if anything electric is dumped). We want fast marching...we want startling drill...we'll even take some of the dance guard (even though some good, honest old school rifle lines with synchronous work would be nice once in a while. We want melody. We want to feel appreciated. We want our faces peeled off sometimes, but mostly, we want MUSIC...melodic music. (and no, 100 measures of transitional music followed by a few minor chord stingers does not suffice)

We want to be able to turn the radio station to the drum corps channel, and actually hear drum corps, not marching band. It's different. We know it is. You know it is. Quit trying to take it from us.

wow. so well said.

And just for the record, I'm 26 so I wouldn't consider myself a dinosaur. My friends and I who are corps fans, we hate electronics too. Cadets 06, 07, 2010, Crown 04, all those shows are the butts of our drum corps jokes. My favorite moment to make fun of it is when the drum judge from 05 comments on how clean the Cadets are singing their hertas.....hahahahaha.

I was glad they allowed amplification for the pit, that DID help to enhance shows (BD 04 for example) but it should have been left at that. Had I realized that using that justification was being used as an excuse to get Geeeetars and Sythns on the field I would have been VERY against it. What really gets me is why in the world would a show designer think that anyone coming to see a drum corps show would want to hear or see rap-scat, a talk show, a vocal soloist or anything that wasn't drum corps! Doesn't make any sense. Do they really think that we would be pleasantly surprised that they relieved us of what we came to see with their mad rapping skillz. Lame.

word yo :dontgetit:

I just simply pointed out that a person in another thread loved the fact they knew everyone at DCA finals. That's a mark that the circuit is insular and not prone to growing. Again, the high school market isn't going to DCA shows in droves. Drum corps at one point is a people business. When you run out of people, drum corps will end.

No one has a study that says young people are not supporting drum corps at a level of the older fans who left. There is no such study...there's a "hunch." An educated guess...grant you.

or...it shows the DCA crowd is a hell of a lot more social than the DCI crowd is.

as far as a study...i think attendance numbers or lack therof says it all.