Who do you think has had the best hornline in the last 5 seasons?

1. BD 2010 stands apart from the rest

2. Crown 2009

3. Bluecoats 2010

4. Crown 2008

5. Cadets 2007

6. Bluecoats 2007

7. Cavies 2006

8. BD 2006

those are my favs (regarding performance AND book)

Really?

I can agree with some of these but do you really think all of these lines are above phantom 08/06?

Really?

Bluecoats had the most difficult book this year easily and played the hell out of it, so I'm sort of inclined to go with them, but since this is over a period of 5 years I'll probably have to say either Phantom or BD.

If we're talking about best overall in the past 5 years, it's got to be BD.

Phantom has had a few off years in there, including this year, IMO. Loved the show and the music, but it was really rough in a lot of places.

Bluecoats well off either of those...and their book was far from the hardest this year, IMO.

Until the switch to the new horns this year BD's hornlines in my opinion had the brightest sound. Very bright and high end oriented. I've even see people post that on here in other threads. To me they had the "brightest horn sound" much brighter than Cavaliers.

this. In fact, I would say, even this year, that BD had the brightest sound.

Which is why I wouldn't put them at the top of the 'best hornline' ever- and that isn't a failing of theirs, but I prefer a dark, open sound as opposed to their bright tone. asthetic choice, plain and simple.

This is very close over that entire period but I will give the nod to Crown although the bulk of that for me comes from the 2008-2010 period with BD being a very close second.

Splitting hairs obviously but Crown is more what I enjoy from an approach and sound standpoint but you can never argue with how the devils brass play.

this. In fact, I would say, even this year, that BD had the brightest sound.

Which is why I wouldn't put them at the top of the 'best hornline' ever- and that isn't a failing of theirs, but I prefer a dark, open sound as opposed to their bright tone. asthetic choice, plain and simple.

But does the style of music that BD normally plays call for a really dark sound? The Stan Kenton Orchestra's brass section always had a SUPER bright sound and I don't recall too many people complaining about it :rolleyes:

Edited by euphplayer07

Best hornlines of the past 4 years - (sorry, but I missed 2006 finals so can't give you the last 5).

2007 - Cadets

2008 - PR

2009 - CC

2010 - Bluecoats

The corps who have consistently produced top quality sounds over these 4 years are those above. If I had to put them in order of preference then I would say

Cadets

PR

CC

Bluecoats

This is very close over that entire period but I will give the nod to Crown although the bulk of that for me comes from the 2008-2010 period with BD being a very close second.

Splitting hairs obviously but Crown is more what I enjoy from an approach and sound standpoint but you can never argue with how the devils brass play.

There is no doubt that Crown has the best balance and blend of ANY drum corps out there. 2009 Crown might have been the best blended hornline ever? The only problem I have with Crown is not their hornline sound but rather the actual book itself. I wish I would hear more from Crown than the same Bflat major chord for the past 7 years.

I think Blue Devil's offer a wider range of challenges for the members from a harmonial stand point so I'll go with BD over Crown.