If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

What I don't see anywhere is a good justification for why adding woodwinds would help in any way. Would it help recruiting members? Maybe, but how many WC corps are really hurting in that area? Would it bring in bigger audiences? I can't really see how. Will it allow more faithful arrangements of certain pieces? Maybe, but part of the fun of drum corps is arranging music for a *different* ensemble. If drum corps is just a marching wind ensemble or orchestra, well, that makes it a lot less interesting.

The downsides seem more likely. Will it turn a lot of long-time fans off? I think that's pretty clear. Yes there's a vast middle ground of people that will either just bear it or won't even care, but there are lots of folks that would give up on DCI with woodwinds. Is it going to make things sound better? Unlikely. To make the woodwinds heard most of the time, they'd need to be amped, and given the continuing complaints about balance with pit and synths, it seems unlikely the woodwinds are going to get mixed in really well.

On net, I just don't see how it's worthwhile even taking the risk. You gain very little if anything in return for less balance and fewer hardcore fans.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, they don't need YOU as a fan, just like they don't need ME as a fan to survive as an activity. I see you like the instrumentation just as it is, I wouldn't be bothered by the addition of woodwinds. I don't see why everyone is so worked up by what I'm saying, it's really not that shocking :guinesssmilie:

That mentality is what will usher us to the end of DCI. DCI does NEED you as a fan. They NEED me as a fan. They NEED all of us as fans. Especially now.

Drive off a few fans there, one or two here, a couple over there...............as we are seeing, there aren't that many left. I'm confident DCI can go a direction that appeals to old fans and new fans. Perhaps the activity isn't broken. Maybe the marketing of the activity is broken.

Why in the world would an activity want to drive off loyal fans of 30 years for new fans? Why not appeal to both? It is possible.

Eh, they don't need YOU as a fan, just like they don't need ME as a fan to survive as an activity. I see you like the instrumentation just as it is, I wouldn't be bothered by the addition of woodwinds. I don't see why everyone is so worked up by what I'm saying, it's really not that shocking :guinesssmilie:

DCI is not in a position to be chasing away fans, period.

I just want to enjoy whatever is put out there with as few artistic limitations as possible.

And again I would argue that it's the artistic limitations that define art. No obstacles means no achievement.

I said "as few", not "no".

Well, you wrote "as few as possible", which I took to mean "none, if that can be managed". After all, there's nothing fewer than zero.

Well, you wrote "as few as possible", which I took to mean "none, if that can be managed". After all, there's nothing fewer than zero.

Well, I can't help how you choose to read things :guinesssmilie: . I think the limitations should come more from the WHAT the shows are doing, not HOW they are done.

I'm not saying they have to please me personally 10000% of the time. there have always been shows, going back to 1975 I didn't like 9 i chose that year because it's the first time I remember seeing a DCi show. I was 6).

but...the more bells and whistles and gadgets we add, the more wild shows become....we're also seeing fewer fans.

cause and effect at it's best, no matter how much you and Mike may want to play it down.

I guess we agree to disagree. I don't want DCI to cater to my personal delicacies, I just want to enjoy whatever is put out there with as little artistic limitations as possible.

I'm not saying they have to please me personally 10000% of the time. there have always been shows, going back to 1975 I didn't like 9 i chose that year because it's the first time I remember seeing a DCi show. I was 6).

but...the more bells and whistles and gadgets we add, the more wild shows become....we're also seeing fewer fans.

cause and effect at it's best, no matter how much you and Mike may want to play it down.

Honestly, I just want to enjoy DCI. I'm not really concerned about the business side of it. It's good to see you are interested, I just want to be entertained in my own way. I could see woodwinds entertaining me.