DCW article regarding touring...

that paper deserves it's own thread

I'd forgotten that Hopkins had also presented a concept about the same time as Stewart's paper, outlining HIS concepts for growing the activity. Vince Lamb did a comparison/contrast in DCW (have fun spotting the roots of the G7 proposal from 10 or 12 years ago...).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe a Mod hasn't freaked out and relegated this topic to the special G7 area which is hard to find, vague, and avoids putting the most important thing going on in drum corps where most people will see it.

I'd forgotten that Hopkins had also presented a concept about the same time as Stewart's paper, outlining HIS concepts for growing the activity. Vince Lamb did a comparison/contrast in DCW (have fun spotting the roots of the G7 proposal from 10 or 12 years ago...).

and we see who won

Well, I must thank Scott Stewart for writing this article, and helping me understand why he was released from his duties at Madison.....He was too smart and had WAY to much common sense regarding our activity. I know there is more to it than just that, but wow, our activity could be in much different shape if even some of what he proposed was instituted.

For the record - the folks that wish Hop would leave should not hold their breath. Unless there is more "unrest in the forest" of Cadet-land, he will be here for the long haul, and more of us will leave our activity because we are unhappy with the direction and the product. Not saying he has to go to effect change, but it is not human nature to admit you were wrong and create the change yourself. I love this activity for me AND my children, and I hope something can be done to help it survive for my children's children..

Thanks for listening.

The central truth is that drum corps is in peril because it's gotten too expensive to do and

So why not scale back the shows a bit, dial it down? The ‘professionalism’ of the productions has cost the activity some of it’s charm and accessibility to the fans. I don’t think the shows today are inherently more entertaining because guards now have 1 or 2 seemingly mandatory costume changes. To me, the cost / effect of that bit alone seems wasteful and silly. Sure, some corps do get it paid for, but just some. Generally, my reaction to a guards’ costume change isn’t Wow, Coollll… its hmmm..I like this one or the other one better so it’s not really adding to the shows (more so when all do it just to do it)

Bunch of little things like that add up

I’m also curious about staff costs over the years….when corps were local, a lot of alumni would hang around an help out, for free

Then I wonder about royalties and where they really go, with instructor hawking their personally branded product lines and re-selling corps tested shows and scores.

Might need to look at that stuff too

Edited by cowtown