Renegades

Make it a poll...easier to get more replies to the question without starting a war. So far, it looks like "deserved 10th" is beating "royally screwed".

For my money, they didnt come in "last" (I hate that word)...they made finals and, out of 23 DCA corps, placed 10th overall. Good corps. Good group of people.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Northeast is a DCA stronghold and always has been. Everybody knows that, so no matter WHAT happens there's always going to be accusations of bias.

Does the same hold for the DCI "stronghold of the G-7?" No matter what happens outside the G-7...? Or doesnt this line of garbage count when it comes to DCI?

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Is anybody any good? Do they deserve any of their rewards? Or is true accomplishment just dismissed as "bias" and have no relevant value?

I see red with this stuff. :guinesssmilie:

Edited by wishbonecav

Design a show, perform it to the max...there's your break!

Wow, you're like the definition of D-bag aren't you?

Wow, you're like the definition of D-bag aren't you?

If you want to put it that way, then sure. Or how about I speak the truth, or I gave a hard dose of reality? Kilties didn't make finals again because they didn't have the product or the performance to do so. How does that qualify me as a d-bag? Same goes with Renegades. Corpsvets scored below them because of a penalty, without that penalty they were ahead easily. I knew they would make the leap. Renegades deserved 10th place.

I'm sorry the truth might hurt some of the whiny pretentious people here, but that sir is NOT my problem.

Rory,

I am a big fan of The Renegades..... I will wait to view the DVD to see how the bottom 5 stack up.

I'm not sure that I understand when you say that MBI now plays by the rules and The Renegades are, well.........RENEGADES.......

There are some pretty innovative things I've seen from the 'gades over the years, and I feel that they are appreciated for it.... they've used some unique forms of percussion in their pit and even in the battery......... chains, leggos, a bicycle tire and cymbal..... In the brass area, megaphones held in the bells of the mellos to give projection and dopler effect movement to some notes is clever. Their color guard "weapons" include whips, ropes and other instruments of torture and pain.............neat. All this from the corps that could play "Nights in White Satin" and make their horns cry the notes...........beautiful !

One thing is for certain, it's tougher than ever to break into the top 5. I watch my favorites, The Cabs, and can't imagine that there are 4 corps that score higher..........but they do.

...and thanks for being vocal in support of your corps............if there were 400 DCA corps, they'd probably STILL be top-10.

Joe

...all I did this weekend was hang on the sideline and take photos. My POV is up close and personal...I am constantly evaluating *my* specialty, which is of the visual persuasion, but, of course, am exposed to the entire package as well. I can, and have, been very wrong in my placements...just Sunday I was switching from field level to the box and was shaking my head; wondering how they look so good downstairs and so not-so-good upstairs! (...this last can be applied to any given unit, my tolerances are kinda tight, so when I get a good look, well, the honeymoon just may be over...heh.) The bone of contention here is Bush; not so much Corpsvets or Kilties (Kilts are stuck in their own spot this year...reality...but with the best corps they've had, a tribute to the strong DCA year in general). Bushwackers are a confounding corps to me...I've seen them *before* really, really downright bad one day and really, really decent the next. They did it again this weekend! Their show is an acquired taste, if you will, but if performed well it communicates with the audience and is very complex. Most of my friends in Renegades were bummed because they had a better show Sunday and thought they should have at least stayed the course...but that's from a member's perspective. 'Vets had a stronger show Sunday, and *without* penaltys...really a stronger over-all drumcorps. And Bush pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

That's it from my planet...

cg

Edited by chasgroh

...all I did this weekend was hang on the sideline and take photos. My POV is up close and personal...I am constantly evaluating *my* specialty, which is of the visual persuasion, but, of course, am exposed to the entire package as well. I can, and have, been very wrong in my placements...just Sunday I was switching from field level to the box and was shaking my head; wondering how they look so good downstairs and so not-so-good upstairs! (...this last can be applied to any given unit, my tolerances are kinda tight, so when I get a good look, well, the honeymoon just may be over...heh.) The bone of contention here is Bush; not so much Corpsvets or Kilties (Kilts are stuck in their own spot this year...reality...but with the best corps they've had, a tribute to the strong DCA year in general). Bushwackers are a confounding corps to me...I've seen them *before* really, really downright bad one day and really, really decent the next. They did it again this weekend! Their show is an acquired taste, if you will, but if performed well it communicates with the audience and is very complex. Most of my friends in Renegades were bummed because they had a better show Sunday and thought they should have at least stayed the course...but that's from a member's perspective. 'Vets had a stronger show Sunday, and *without* penaltys...really a stronger over-all drumcorps. And Bush pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

That's it from my planet...

cg

Thank you for the kind words Charlie, I always look forward to your "take" on the corps, Good or bad.

It was nice to see you this weekend as always.

Jay

Bush

ps, Charlie taught me as a young lad in the Muchachos many years ago. He was the voice of reason then as he is now and he made quite an impression on that 16 year old rookie bass drummer!

I am a drum corps fan from way, way back. I haven't ever seen a bad drum corps or a bad show. Although, I have to take issue with those that say the Renegades were dumped for various reasons. What is the East coast Bias, and what games did Minnesota Brass play? Someone said if that were true, (the games) why did the Scouts score so well.

Thought the Renegades had a great show and was glad to see straight ahead drum corps rather than the "dead" stuff they have done in the past It was rather refreshing. But perhaps it wasn't quite good enough. C'mon drum corps fans, stop insinuating that the establishment is against them or anybody else for that matter. Aplaude their efforts and the fact they came all the way from the "Left Coast" to participate as did SoCal Dream

As for the Cabs fans, I think you will readily agree that had they had an up to date drill, rather than old style drill that they performed, they would have been right up there in the upper echelon of the final 3. Their music was as always, superb, and their drumming wasn't all that bad either.

As I have been a Bucs fan frrom the 60's when I first saw them, I must say that I am pleased with their score and placement. I also have a relative who is high up in their instructional staff, so that too will influence my thoughts. But I love Drum Corps and as long as it has drums and bugles in it, I will love watching them and that includes Minn,Brass, Kilties, the cabs and all others who played their hearts out.

Finally I wish the "Soothsayers would stop saying things like,"It was riged," the judges are Biased, playing games etc.. It is a competive sport where someone wins and someone loses and that is the facts. Like football,"on any given Sunday"

Edited by Drumbo

As someone who has judged a few contests in my day, perhaps this may answer the question. In using the word "deserve" the connotation infers that a placement in a competitive event is a form of punishment. Thus deserving 10th place, becomes a totally negative outcome without any merit. In every contest someone comes in last. That's how we do it. The notion of competition in drum corps is to produce better corps, programs, and performances, not to punish anyone.

So from my viewpoint, no corps has ever deserved to the one who finishes just outside of Finals. No corps has ever deserved to be last in a contest. That's just the wrong way to view how competition works in this activity. Whether a corps comes in the 10th spot at DCA or finishes higher, it doesn't change their performance or the audiences perception of it. It is what it is. To discuss the DCA Finals within such a framework misses the broadside of the barn.

Edited by Jeff