Why not more Big-Band Jazz?

Do you play baritone?

Yep... I still play... Marching is getting harder with bad knees and hips but I still play as much as I can... Kanstul 3 valve G and I have my old 2 valve G King from my BD days...

The fans might pass out from hearing accessible music. Too big an insurance risk. Can't do it.

I've taken up taxi driving, which allows me to program the music I want to listen to all day. I have a lot of jazz from the 20s through 40s that I play. I've gotten comments from several passengers about the music. What tickles me to death is that they've universally been positive comments, to the point of asking what radio station it might be and who was performing--indicating an interest in further listening.

That includes the Stan Kenton Orchestra. Folks aren't left cold by the dissonance Kenton's band played, nor are they put off by not recognizing the tunes. They *like* that unknown, dissonant jazz. Well, they like it when it's arranged in an easily accessible fashion. If you're putting off listeners with Kenton's music during a show, you're doing something wrong, I'm thinking.

Sort of speaks to the notion that arguing for accessible arrangements means only familiar tunes can be used. It also speaks to the notion that dissonance is automatically going to turn off listeners and thus limit what can be played in shows. Both of those notions are shown to be unsupportable, at least, in the setting of my taxi. Folks like dissonant tunes that they don't know, if those tunes are arranged in a fashion they can relate to. At least, that's how it works out in my taxi. One can argue that only weirdos from other planets ride in my taxi and so it has no bearing on the rest of the world, though one shouldn't then be surprised by lots of people laughing nearby.

I get much the same response from the music of Basie's band, Ellington's band, Miller's band, and even a whole slew of earlier bands unrecognized by almost everybody. (Except for the elderly. Had a wonderful chat about KC jazz with a lovely lady who grew up listening to Bennie Moten's band, the Clouds of Joy, Jay Shann, and so on. I found that I have one of her favorite tunes by Moten's band in my collection. Bonding over music with a woman almost twice my age--she's almost ninety--was cool.)

What a wonderful post. Speaking from a drummer's position, dissonance is cool but if it doesn't resolve at some point I feel "left hanging", anticipating, even frustrated, and sometimes irritated that I don't get the resolution. To finish the phrase, the piece, or the show. This is my feeling of this years' BD. It opened with such a warm, melodic and, unfortunately, way-too-short phrase, then descended into darkness to my ear. Had they given me some warm, lushness to finish the show, even, I'd have had a completely different experience and interpretation of their show.

I don't think of 30's & 40's swing or jazz as leaving me with that feeling so, to me, it's a matter arrangement-style. (Yeah, I know, d*** drummer.)

You know that feeling in your belly when you crest the top of a small hill and get butterflies? That's what BD's arrangement of Kenton made me feel. There was no let-down, no resolution. The jazz I prefer doesn't leave me with that.

Edited by garfield

Well I tried to keep it from going downhill but well... ummmmm... others didn't :blink:

Well, I certainly wonder if the argument has merit. I don't know how jazz or swing would be judged, from a sheets standpoint. But we can listen to hours of classic swing and jazz and not get bored, you'd think a corps could find 12 minutes of it. Three or four songs showing different moods and colors. I think I'd love it.

But is it not played more because the sheets aren't written for it, or because it's more "dead, white guys"?

Edited by garfield

Big Bad: If you do not want scary answers do not ask scary questions :blink:

Stu... Not my thread... I don't recall asking anything... But I do thank you for your opinion... Also I am pretty sure the thread was started in good heartedness asking about Big Band Music but we are now off onto the judging system and unrecognizable music... Please do tie these things together for me using the good hearted spirit of the OP... Unless I misread the OP and missed it as being bait for more DCP BS...

Well, I certainly wonder if the argument has merit. I don't know how jazz or swing would be judged, from a sheets standpoint. But we can listen to hours of classic swing and jazz and not get bored, you'd think a corps could find 12 minutes of it. Three or four songs showing different moods and colors. I think I'd love it.

But is it not played more because the sheets are written for it, or because it's more "dead, white guys"?

Garfield,

I come from when we (corps) played an actual song... I grew up loving that and frankly it is what I would love to hear when I go to drum corps shows. It is NOT what I hear when I go to drum corps shows... So I could sit and simmer in my own juices and have high blood pressure and future health problems because I am an uptight guy who will not try to love the things that helped me to become what and who I am... Or I can embrace what is left of it and enjoy it as best as I am able... Once I adopted THIS attitude... I was able to enjoy drum corps shows again and I feel far less removed from the activity... Also I was sold on trying this when I sat in the stands directly behind the WC BD corps at BD Family day a few years ago... Those kids are EXACTLY who we used to be! I ended up having an awesome talk with the kids... Got ooos and awes from the kids for my '82 ring and well... fell back in love with the activity...

I know no one is asking my opinion here but I am going to give it anyway... If you feel disconnected from your corps or drum corps in general... Spend a day at a rehearsal and talk to the MM's... You will remember why you REALLY fell in love with this activity and hopefully not worry about the (what I call) small stuff... :blink:

Stu... Not my thread... I don't recall asking anything... But I do thank you for your opinion... Also I am pretty sure the thread was started in good heartedness asking about Big Band Music but we are now off onto the judging system and unrecognizable music... Please do tie these things together for me using the good hearted spirit of the OP... Unless I misread the OP and missed it as being bait for more DCP BS...

I think that is what DCP is for, BS about Drum Corps.

I think that is what DCP is for, BS about Drum Corps.

Excellent point... An I know I tend to be a big cheerleader but I sure wish we did more BSing in an uplifting manner... Just me tho...

Edited cause I can't spell more

Edited by Big Bad Bari

Oh no, my fellow Paisan. I really want to know. If it's because of the sheets or if it's because most wouldn't like the music, or whatever. I'm really curious. There seems to be much more arranging of classical than jazz (not that I mind classical either!), and there's so much jazz from which to choose!

I really don't understand and I'm really curious.