Changes at SCV

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Vanguard website:

The Santa Clara Vanguard is excited to welcome David Clemmer, the Director of Athletic Bands and Assistant Director of Bands at the University of Kansas, as the corps' new Brass Caption Manager. Clemmer will succeed Andre' Feagin, who resigned the position in early September.

It looks like a lot of his old Cavies brass staff is coming with him.

With Clemmer and Rennick SCV should be interesting this year...

Clemmer and Pasquale

So SCV will be the new mezzo forte corps :tongue:

Not sure how to feel about this. We'll just have to wait and see. I know Feidler is comfortable working with these guys since they were both on Cavies staff from 01 onward ... I'm just not sure they're be able to capture the "Vanguard" sound that even Vanguard has had a hard time living up to in recent past. Best of luck to them both and the entire SCV brass staff. I'll be anxious to see the show announcement based on these team additions.

Clemmer and Pasquale

So SCV will be the new mezzo forte corps :tongue:

Not sure how to feel about this. We'll just have to wait and see. I know Feidler is comfortable working with these guys since they were both on Cavies staff from 01 onward ... I'm just not sure they're be able to capture the "Vanguard" sound that even Vanguard has had a hard time living up to in recent past. Best of luck to them both and the entire SCV brass staff. I'll be anxious to see the show announcement based on these team additions.

And what sound/year would that be? I don't know where you are going with this comment but I have heard nothing but improvements in their sound and quality each year over the past decade. Every season has gotten better for their brass and overall design, in my honest opinion. I may not be a music teacher or educator, but I make the trip down to CA every june to see drum corps and I have very much enjoyed the directions Vanguard has taken recently. Maybe we have different sets of ears, but I can only imagine that with a new staff/caption head in any capacity focused on any section, it'll be somewhat different and take time to develop.

And what sound/year would that be? I don't know where you are going with this comment but I have heard nothing but improvements in their sound and quality each year over the past decade. Every season has gotten better for their brass and overall design, in my honest opinion. I may not be a music teacher or educator, but I make the trip down to CA every june to see drum corps and I have very much enjoyed the directions Vanguard has taken recently. Maybe we have different sets of ears, but I can only imagine that with a new staff/caption head in any capacity focused on any section, it'll be somewhat different and take time to develop.

The "Vanguard" sound would be what they achieved in their prime championship caliber years. 80's, late 90's and throw in 09 with that (although 09 was a different sound from what SCV Golden Era fans are used to). I guess my statement has more to do with Power and Depth of sound more than anything. Am I slamming the corps? NO! They set some very very high standards for themselves that are hard for anyone to achieve .. including themselves. I thought Andre was heading in the right direction with the brass caption ..... the new staff coming in has a very "concert band" approach to brass playing. So, yeah, that scares me a bit.