Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

Eh, economists would debate that :tongue:

(But, this is a drum corps forum, so moving right along.....)

I'm only 41. being in the financial world, I can tell you most people in my generation are usually in the middle of the food chain, not the ones with power and decision making abilities.

• Like 1

Actually touring was not mentioned in your post about 14 and 26 year olds being together. I had the same thought as Hrothgar until you explained fully in what I quoted.

Yeah, I suck at mind reading too.

My apologies...Figured the 99% of the time spent OFF the performing field would've been the first consideration before you even mention marching, music, rehearsal, and performance. That stuff is WAY more important when it comes to this issue than the 1% of the time you spend performing.

Who said all of the corps had to do a full tour? In fact, whenever I would read press coverage of Jersey Surf or similar corps they would always profile at least one person who chose the corps in order to also have a job over the summer.

Academy didn't do a full tour until two years ago and they still have significant time in Tempe during the early season.

Yeah, if DCA can manage drum corps with a schedule, I would not see why DCI could not.

DCI could then have the regional and separate national touring model that many here say is necessary for survival of DCI.

DCA is a different environment than DCI; a large-scale national tour presents a completely different social environment than the weekend-only DCA stuff does.

Not that I would expect anything to happen in either circuit, but, really . . .DCI would become a difficult sell for a "youth activity" (as its charter defines it) with 26 year old folks there.

DCI could then offer a weekend only circuit if needed. I don't really see a downside here.

DCI could then offer a weekend only circuit if needed. I don't really see a downside here.

So you're saying DCI should offer a weekend only circuit and extend age limits? You just made DCA out of DCI. Go to DCA.... There are some good corps, and they're getting better every year!

The weekend-only model will produce less excellence as compared to a nationally touring, consistently competing World Class ensemble. This will lead to further stratification, a problem we don't need to amplify. We can't manage to keep the "top acts" from throwing Open Class under the bus; there is no way DCI can offer a touring model which competes directly with DCA's model. And in any case, I don't believe any of this to be justification for raising the age-out limit, a number which seems to be defined by the social act of graduating from an institution of higher education and pursuing a career which involves working during the summer months.

If you want to march drum corps after aging out of the ELITE of the ELITE, you can march in a DCA drum corps and have an entirely different enriching experience, I'm sure. I have not marched DCA but I'm sure it offers many similar benefits. One of those benefits is not, however, 24-7 exposure to the individuals in the corps for three months.

And to be fair, I'd be wary of allowing a 14 year old to march in a DCA corps with a higher average age. That is only my opinion, however.

as well as kids that can't afford or do not want to march DCI

Hey Jeff. And I just don't know the answer to this. DCA is all ages...I keep hearing this. So am I to assume there are no lower age limits in DCA. I mean an 11 year old could march and it would not be against the rules? Again, this might have been covered somewhere..I am claiming ignorance. I know...surprise? Huh? Yeah, it's me...not someone else logged into my account.

So you're saying DCI should offer a weekend only circuit and extend age limits? You just made DCA out of DCI. Go to DCA.... There are some good corps, and they're getting better every year!

Maybe DCA could use some competition...it's always a good thing...right? Competition breeding excellence and all. Also, DCA doesn't have their main event out of the NorthEast and has very little representation in some areas of the country. So, why does it have to be A or B? Why can't DCI have an all age division, an alumni division?