Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

The average age of DCI seems to be creeping up every year while DCA's seems to be getting younger. If it keeps going in that direction then sooner or later "nitro" is going to meet "shake". That's not an advocation or even a speculation, it's just a brain fart. :tongue:

exactly what this country needs...another 3-4 years of zero tax liability voters...

there is no one in the country...even infants who aren't affected by taxes and the services they provide or so not provide.

Almost 15% of the country is poor. 21% is the poor rate for children.

Yeah, you brought up this anti-tax crap I didn't. So, let's tie this back to the topic. It's really hard for poor children to get the music education to help them get into a drum corps one day.

Also, since you brought it up...work in this country is taxed up to 25%. Capital gains...you know..investments for the Wall St. crowd....15%. We tax wealth in this county far more than we tax work. So, perhaps if the wealthy were taxed their fair share we'd have fewer poor kids and more potential drum corps members. See how I brought it all back to the topic. Kinda cool, huh? Oh, by the way...I study this country's tax policy pretty intently. It's regressive to the most extreme.

The average age of DCI seems to be creeping up every year while DCA's seems to be getting younger. If it keeps going in that direction then sooner or later "nitro" is going to meet "shake". That's not an advocation or even a speculation, it's just a brain fart. :tongue:

More the reason why DCI should have an all age division.

My apologies...Figured the 99% of the time spent OFF the performing field would've been the first consideration before you even mention marching, music, rehearsal, and performance. That stuff is WAY more important when it comes to this issue than the 1% of the time you spend performing.

No problems.... since I have no Jr corps or touring experience, touring doesn't enter my mind too much when comparing DCI/DCA. However my years in Senior (aged 16-22) and Alumni (too #### old) gives me different experiences with the age issue. So young and "not so young" working together comes to mind very quickly.

Just different ways to look at things based on our life experiences.

there is no one in the country...even infants who aren't affected by taxes and the services they provide or so not provide.

Yeah, you brought up this anti-tax crap I didn't. So, let's tie this back to the topic. It's really hard for poor children to get the music education to help them get into a drum corps one day.

Also, since you brought it up...work in this country is taxed up to 25% 35% (soon to be 39%). Capital gains...you know..investments for the Wall St. crowd people who invest....15%. We tax wealth in this county far more than we tax work. So, perhaps if the wealthy were taxed their fair share we'd have fewer poor kids and more potential drum corps members. See how I brought it all back to the topic. Kinda cool, huh? Oh, by the way...I study this country's tax policy pretty intently. It's regressive to the most extreme.

Fixed both.

The fact is, Tom, that while capital gains are taxed at 15% currently, most investors who make capital gains decisions are still working and don't rely on those gains for income; they are investment decisions that aren't made to generate income. It's only after a lifetime of saving and making good investment decisions that people retire and convert their investments into income (bonds, if you know anything about asset allocation). That income is taxed at ordinary income rates (up to 35%), dividends are currently tax favored but only marginally, and income distributed from one's retirement plan is taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

The class envy you exude is not the problem of the wealthy, and it's not the problem with funding of drum corps. Consider the major financial contributors to DCI and convince me that their contributions would be as large if the government taxed their investments more simple because they "didn't work for" their money.

I can assure you that if a talented poor student was spotted by his band director that, with his nose to the grindstone, he would make his way through band and drum corps would find a spot for him, IMO.

Edited by garfield

I would imagine DCI's charter is set up differently than a car rental agency's rental policies.

yet you ignored that i also included irs-related elements there...

all i found via googling was for something called 'disconnected youth' that went up to age 25. obviously thats not the end-all-be-all as far as the IRS is concerned, but thats why i posed the question.

Edited by AlexL

Also, since you brought it up...work in this country is taxed up to 25%. Capital gains...you know..investments for the Wall St. crowd....15%. We tax wealth in this county far more than we tax work. So, perhaps if the wealthy were taxed their fair share we'd have fewer poor kids and more potential drum corps members. See how I brought it all back to the topic. Kinda cool, huh? Oh, by the way...I study this country's tax policy pretty intently. It's regressive to the most extreme.

Wait did you mean this? We tax "wealth" more, but "...if the wealthy were taxed their fair share..."? You mean if the wealthy weren't taxed AS MUCH we'd have fewer poor kids?

Please correct or explain because it doesn't make sense after my 3rd and 4th reading.

Wait did you mean this? We tax "wealth" more, but "...if the wealthy were taxed their fair share..."? You mean if the wealthy weren't taxed AS MUCH we'd have fewer poor kids?

Please correct or explain because it doesn't make sense after my 3rd and 4th reading.

He was trying to rant about how half of US households don't pay income tax, but somehow they are still being cheated by people who aren't deadbeats. He's trying to say rich people with more money should pay higher taxes. And then the poor kid could march drum corps.

Edited by soccerguy315

The age-out limit for any "youth activity" should be 18. Finish high school, finish junior corps, START college/working.

At that point you'd probably have 2 divisions, one for those in HS and one for those in college

Edited by AlexL