Mini Corps Rules?

Kansan

If. In the last 4½ decades, we have yet to see any significant migration of recent junior corps veterans to the senior side of the activity.

QED! The restriction is unnecessary.

But I take your point that it is a bit of a red herring to think that DCI kids will rush into DCA I&E. What is more likely is a truly "mixed" ensemble -- consisting of older alums and a few (many? half?) DCI members. That is where the current rule/interpretation is murky. Where is the limit?

To be clear on another point...

There are two things that have been brought up on this thread.... affiliation restrictions and limiting the number of performing units. The need for the latter (for which there is some need within a one- or two-year planning horizon when facilities are contractually fixed) is not a justification for the other. Each should be considered independently.

If you have to lock down the number of groups at, say 12 next year, then let them in using the same procedure as how they're scheduled: let in this year's participants and fill any holes with new groups on a first-come, first-serve basis as licensing paperwork and fees are submitted. There is no logic in linking admission to affiliation, the merits of which should be argued separately.

Edited by funcorpsagain

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys all take this very seriously - I get that...

You saw Pronti's answers and they stand as the real deal... take his comments to the bank...

Come 2012 there will - by necessity - be changes as to how the mini corps contest is done... the venue will necessitate that... and until we get closer to that date and those in charge have identified those changes there is no point in speculation. You can only expect "minor" tweaking for 2011 in Rochester.

My question is, based on the rules posted, how did Star United qualify? Did all of their members march in a DCA corps in the past? I see where the OP would find these rules are an issue, as the area he is from has never had any DCA corps anywhere close to them. How can he grow his organization if they can get in the door?

Click here

Edited by Rollo Tomasi

Here are the excerpts from the 2010 I&E Rules:

"GENERAL RULES AND PHILOSOPHY

1. All contestants must be a member of a past or present All Age Competitive Corps or active member of an Alumni Corps.

2. Judging will be looking for the technical ability in each performance although effectiveness will be considered.

3. Rules will be used to assure a fair competition, but they will be interpreted to allow competitors artistic freedom.

4. One point will be assessed for every rule infraction.

5. Scheduling will be done allowing for the best possible evening entertainment with consideration given to competitors who are entered in multiple categories.

6. DCA Caption Chiefs will decide any rules not specifically stated.

7. In fairness to all competitors warm ups will ONLY be allowed in the designated areas.

8. In order to be eligible for an I & E medal there must be more than one (1) entry in a category.

9. All entry forms and fees must be received by the published registration end date in order to participate in the I & E. NO late entries will be accepted.

10. ** Only DCA approved Brass/Percussion instruments will be allowed at I&E.

All other instruments will be disqualified. This includes taped Music**

11. The philosophy behind the Brass and Percussion contest leans to musicality; visual maybe considered and rewarded on the Effect part of the score sheets. ***** "

AND

"MINI CORPS

1. A Mini Corps is defined as a minimum of 11 participants and a maximum of 21 participants.

2. If a Drum Major is used, he/she is not counted as one of the 21 participants. He/She may not play an instrument unless the total number remains at 21.

3. There will be a one (1) point penalty for each participant under 11. No Corps allowed with over 21.

4. Any combination of DCA approved horns, percussion instruments and guard equipment may be used.

5. The time limit is 5 minutes minimum and 10 minutes maximum.

6. There will be a one (1) point penalty for each minute over or under the time limit.

7. Time starts from the first note and ends with the last note.

8. Music scores DO NOT need to be presented to the judges.

9. NO tape music is allowed.

10. An “A FLAG” section (honor guard) may be used and not counted as part of the 21. However if any member leaves the “A Flag” section to perform, he/she will be counted as a participant and included in the total numbers of performers, which shall not exceed 21.

11. A Performance Agreement document must be completed and signed for each participating Mini Corps. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by a Performance Agreement submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

12. A Mini Corps must present proof of a one (1) million dollar liability insurance policy, under which Drum Corps Associates is identified as an additional insured. This requirement will be waived for a Mini Corps, which is covered by an insurance policy submitted by an All Age Competitive Corps or an Alumni Corps.

13. A Mini Corps must provide proof of music clearance.

NOTE: The contest area for Mini Corps in 2010 will be a stage 40’ by 50’."

Rules typically don't change much from year to year, so these should be fairly solid as you design your show.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the game! :angel1:

Paul

Thanks for the Information. This helps a lot.

After wading through the numerous entries on a couple threads.......Seems we don't currently qualify for Mini Corps Competition.

I can think of a couple ways to qualify given said rules which I hope won't undermine the integrity our developing Drum & Bugle Corps.

We'll still be working on a 5 to 10 minute show that will be performed in a 40' to 50' area which will enable us to perform virutally anywhere.

As I understand the "spirit" of the rules, the I&E/Mini Corps competition is intended for Competing Corps to Bring their full Corps and have people break off for Mini and I&E competition. I thought the Mini Corps competition was open for all entries that met the member number requirement.

We have people with Junior Corps Experience and Some with only Marching Band Experience. Noone has Competitive DCA Senoir All Age Drum & Bugle Corps experience as we live in a barren wasteland with zero DCA activity.

We have competed in 4 Parades and won 2 awards and have a History of being a Drum & Bugle Corps only Using G bugles and Drums.

We have a will so we'll find a way.

I never meant to insinuate that Mr. Pronti is not being inclusive or fair. He has been awesome, especially in working with my group. My question was to this rule that could turn away potential performing groups. To date this appears to have only happened once, so is pretty much a non-issue. But what of the future? What about groups such as Kansan's?

I guess the elephant in the room is that it is obvious that Minicorps has become a bit of a logistical nightmare and that it has to kept within the current time and facility constraints. There isn't a Minicorps class. So what about creating one? As Mr. Ponzo so elegantly pointed out, Ghost, SU, Mass Brass, ect. take this every bit as seriously as anyone on the field in A and Open. The crowd for the Minicorps evening was sizable and lively. This seems to be a potential growth area for DCA. How many new corps joined class A this year? How many Open class did we lose? I don't know, but it seems to me that any spark of growth and excitement should be kindled and maintained.

I think we have all proven that a 21 member group can be entertaining and exciting. At least as long as there is a bit more intimacy with the audience then a 100 yrd football field can provide. The open rules and challenges of the 21 member limit encourage a diversity of approach and programming. The logistics and equipping of a mini are far more feasible for new and rebuilding groups then class A or open. This just seems like a win win for DCA if they choose to run with it a bit more then the current show. I would bet it could actually drive a bit of revenue rather then being an additional expense. I cannot help but daydream of Friday afternoon/evening showdown of 20 or so Minis going head to head on a covered basketball court or subset of the football field in front of a roaring audience. To me that sounds more exciting then watching 35 people lost on 100 yards of grass, not that I wouldn't pay to see either.

In the last five years I have really enjoyed performing and seeing what DCA has to offer. But if it wasn't for the opportunity afforded by the Minicorps competition me and my friends would probably not be involved and or even spectating in DCA. I personally am just to far away and would probably be content with the numerous DCI offerings in our region. There seems to be group after group who do not have the membership and or $ to make the jump to class A. Especially in the non All-Age aware areas outside of the East Coast. Here is an opportunity. We all talk of the storied past of church or VFW based local corps, well Minicorps could be the modern incarnation of this. 21 guys in a church basement, or firefighting station. 21 old age outs from this corps or that little area of town. Little affordable, local-based groups all given a chance to compete on an even (small) playing field. And surely some of those groups will get a bit more ambitious, add some members. You can see where I am going. This is already happening in Minicorps now. I wonder what could come if DCA dropped a little gas on that spark?

Edited by mchromik

Kansas are you an "all age Corps" then you are fine. Is Star United and Alumni Corps, then when a person joins they are legal. I can't see for the life of me what is so hard to understand.

I never meant to insinuate that Mr. Pronti is not being inclusive or fair. He has been awesome, especially in working with my group. My question was to this rule that could turn away potential performing groups. To date this appears to have only happened once, so is pretty much a non-issue. But what of the future? What about groups such as Kansan's?

I guess the elephant in the room is that it is obvious that Minicorps has become a bit of a logistical nightmare and that it has to kept within the current time and facility constraints. There isn't a Minicorps class. So what about creating one? As Mr. Ponzo so elegantly pointed out, Ghost, SU, Mass Brass, ect. take this every bit as seriously as anyone on the field in A and Open. The crowd for the Minicorps evening was sizable and lively. This seems to be a potential growth area for DCA. How many new corps joined class A this year? How many Open class did we lose? I don't know, but it seems to me that any spark of growth and excitement should be kindled and maintained.

I think we have all proven that a 21 member group can be entertaining and exciting. At least as long as there is a bit more intimacy with the audience then a 100 yrd football field can provide. The open rules and challenges of the 21 member limit encourage a diversity of approach and programming. The logistics and equipping of a mini are far more feasible for new and rebuilding groups then class A or open. This just seems like a win win for DCA if they choose to run with it a bit more then the current show. I would bet it could actually drive a bit of revenue rather then being an additional expense. I cannot help but daydream of Friday afternoon/evening showdown of 20 or so Minis going head to head on a covered basketball court or subset of the football field in front of a roaring audience. To me that sounds more exciting then watching 35 people lost on 100 yards of grass, not that I wouldn't pay to see either.

In the last five years I have really enjoyed performing and seeing what DCA has to offer. But if it wasn't for the opportunity afforded by the Minicorps competition me and my friends would probably not be involved and or even spectating in DCA. I personally am just to far away and would probably be content with the numerous DCI offerings in our region. There seems to be group after group who do not have the membership and or $ to make the jump to class A. Especially in the non All-Age aware areas outside of the East Coast. Here is an opportunity. We all talk of the storied past of church or VFW based local corps, well Minicorps could be the modern incarnation of this. 21 guys in a church basement, or firefighting station. 21 old age outs from this corps or that little area of town. Little affordable, local-based groups all given a chance to compete on an even (small) playing field. And surely some of those groups will get a bit more ambitious, add some members. You can see where I am going. This is already happening in Minicorps now. I wonder what could come if DCA dropped a little gas on that spark?

Michael,

Very well put, and I could not agree with you more. Let's all work together to encourage and foster growth in our segment of the activity. Each year we're exposed to new and exciting entries into our competition, and we need to find ways to be inclusive.

I would suggest that the level of musical performance and competency for Mini Corps is at a much higher level now, than it would have been had SU been denied the opportunity to compete for the first time in 2006. Competition makes everyone better, and who's to say what some of these new, "future" Mini Corps will do to enhance the activity in years to come.

After wading through the numerous entries on a couple threads.......Seems we don't currently qualify for Mini Corps Competition.

I can think of a couple ways to qualify given said rules which I hope won't undermine the integrity our developing Drum & Bugle Corps.

We'll still be working on a 5 to 10 minute show that will be performed in a 40' to 50' area which will enable us to perform virutally anywhere.

As I understand the "spirit" of the rules, the I&E/Mini Corps competition is intended for Competing Corps to Bring their full Corps and have people break off for Mini and I&E competition. I thought the Mini Corps competition was open for all entries that met the member number requirement.

We have people with Junior Corps Experience and Some with only Marching Band Experience. Noone has Competitive DCA Senoir All Age Drum & Bugle Corps experience as we live in a barren wasteland with zero DCA activity.

We have competed in 4 Parades and won 2 awards and have a History of being a Drum & Bugle Corps only Using G bugles and Drums.

We have a will so we'll find a way.

As I understand the rules, a Mini-Corps is a drum corps "in and of itself". That alone qualifies

it to participate. Example, my corps Mass Brass is NOT an alumni corps even though all the

members have or currently do play in alumni corps. We are an "All-Age Drum Corps" but not

a member of DCA because as of now there is no Mini-Corps Division in DCA, (maybe someday).

We do outside gigs just like other corps, but that's not what makes us a corps. Just the fact that we

exist qualifies us. Some corps are associated with competing or alumni corps, some are independent,

it doesn't matter.

I will agree with 1 point made here, perhaps a rewording of the rule is in order to clarify any confusion.

And someone mentioned 12 months........... again as I understand it, that's a DCA rule to prevent a DCI

corps from competing in DCA & DCI in the same season. That doesn't apply to individuates. I would

speculate there were some people on the stage that competed in DCI this past year & I don't have a

problem with that as long it's done within the rules.

If I've made errors I welcome any corrections.