George Parks

Thank you to all Buccaneers who honored George today at noon with a singing of the corps song. I was in the Ft. McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore on my way home from DC and probably shook the walls a bit.

I regret that I couldn't be in Reading, as a group of Buccaneers gathered at the site of so many great George Parks moments - Buc Field. The yard markers were out and everything. After the singing, everyone stayed and enjoyed the fellowship of fellow Buccaneers. Bucs of all generations were present. The grills were fired up and, as of this posting, the gathering was in full swing. I'm sure we'll have some footage and an appropriate tribute at some point soon to share with everyone.

For those of you who find some sense of 'order' in the commonality of numbers, I've been thinking about the number 57 all weekend. We lost our brother George at the way-too-young age of 57. The Buccaneers were founded in 1957 and the last time George saw his beloved corps perform, it was consecutive win number 57 and, fittingly, I suppose, on the grandest stage in our activity. When I called to see how the singing at Buc Field went, I was told that three separate people had counted and all agreed that there were 57 people in attendance singing....number 57, the last to arrive for the singing, was Ron Gehris, who was corps director in George's last year, 1987. I offer none of this to trivialize anything about George or what he meant to so many of us...instead, the commonality shook me and again made me realize what a force we had with us. And still do.

Heaven is Balanced in Blue, indeed.

As a "non-Alumni" of the Bucs, at noon I said a prayer for my friend....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate all the kind words. I'm a current member of the UMMB and also am in his conducting class. This past weekend I have experienced emotions I never wish upon anyone. However, as a band we have been able to get though this emotional time as a collective and that couldn't have happened without Mr. Park's enthusiasm and love he had for us.

This was our performance in "the big house" it was something I'll never forget.

To the greatest mentor in my life, you have taught me so much. You will never be forgotten.

Edited by BrassClef

As a "non-Alumni" of the Bucs, at noon I said a prayer for my friend....

Thank you, Tony. And thank you to everyone across the drum corps community who has contacted us with your thoughts, prayers and kind words. Receiving all of your messages has reaffirmed something we already knew-that we had among us a man whose impact spread WAY beyond a rag-tag bunch of folks from PA Dutch Country. How fortunate are we to have been with him, and how honored are we to call him a fellow Buccaneer.

Thanks so much, Vic.

Those statements would mean a lot to many Bucs of that era. As you said, there was a time the Bucs and the Hurricanes did "not like each other" very much. To those who were part of either corps in the early 80's, no explanation is necessary. With that said however, the one thing that always existed within DCA and something George stressed to us many times....win or lose, you always show respect for your opponents. George lived that every time he set foot on a field. And it was reflected back by the other drum majors. IMHO, that group of drum majors in the early 80's..... George, Jimmy Russo, Alan Smythe, Butch Anderson, and the others (some of the names escape me at the moment) was, collectively, the greatest group of leaders and showmen I've ever seen in my 43 years of involvement in drum corps.

Vic, you and I once talked about corps loyalties. George Parks was one of the reasons I felt the way I did, and still do. Once Blue.... always Blue.

RIP George. We will miss you.

Martin, You are welcome. And you are correct in what we talked about... You will always Be Blue as I will always be Green ! But the respect will never see a color barrier !

Edited by hurcwave

Geez, I've been traveling the past ten days. I've not been up on all things DCP.

George Parks. How can I define him?

INTENSITY !

We like that.

George, what you did for Jack Wells will be remembered forever. Thanks, guy!

Some times things make you sit back and say WOW.... as we all share our remembrances of George and for many of us who just had the opportunity again to say hello to him just a few days ago at DCA Championships....

I turn on my computer and use MSN.com as my home page... and there on the right side of my home page is the name "George Parks" with a link to an entire page of tributes... it made me sit back and realize just how great George was in life and how priviledged I was to have called him friend for these many years.

George's death was covered in the Erie Daily Times,.................The UMass Band spent layovers in Erie several times in the recent past,..............Halquist and Hetrick put them up and provided them with rehearsal facilities on many occasions,...................He will be missed here, there, and everywhere..........

I believe this is the photo you're talking about. George is down in amongst the people below but you can pick him out in an instant

JoshandGeorge.jpg

Does Josh have a copy of this picture? If he doesn't - he should, ASAP.

Folks:

George's obituary announced that services will be private; however University of Massachusetts Amherst announced that "A Celebration of the Life and Legacy of George N. Parks" will take place at the Mullins Center at the UMass Amherst campus on Saturday, October 16.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.umass.edu/umhome/events/articles/111545.php

More details will be posted on this site as they are finalized.

With pride....

Folks:

George's obituary announced that services will be private; however University of Massachusetts Amherst announced that "A Celebration of the Life and Legacy of George N. Parks" will take place at the Mullins Center at the UMass Amherst campus on Saturday, October 16.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.umass.edu/umhome/events/articles/111545.php

More details will be posted on this site as they are finalized.

With pride....

[/quote

Oc 16th is also Homecoming at Umass so in addition to this tribute ,the UMMB and some UMMB alumni will also be performing at the UMass football game. The day should be quite a day to Mr. Parks.