George Parks

This news has troubled me since I first read it this morning. I met George only once or twice, but you knew immediately, while he was a fierce competitor, he was also a drum corps guy. You wanted to beat him, but you always respected him. A class guy. This is a complete shock.

My condolences to his family, his Buccaneer family and his UMass family. His life touched many people, as shown by those who have commented here. God rest his soul.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable.

I just can't believe he's gone. My wife forwarded the announcement from UMass this morning, and I've just been numb all day.

I started thinking about how, exactly, to put into words just what this man has done throughout his career for all those kids who have attended the clinics, all those people who have had the honor to march under his direction, all those who have worked side-by-side with him - most notably at Reading, UMass, and the DMA, though the list is practically endless - and all those who have come in contact with him in almost any context, because knowing George, he probably pulled the pizza guy aside every so often and explained to him how he could improve his delivery....and then it came to me: even with all of those lessons he tried to impart directly to all of those students in all of those situations, it was the indirect lessons that we/they will remember the most. It wasn't about the stuff we wrote in our notebooks, or about our eyes or shoulders or posture, or about class, or the importance of being prepared, or about hard work, or demonstrating enthusiasm, or even about one of his favorite words - pride - it was that he personified the seemingly unattainably lofty goals that he set for everyone.

He just WAS what he was trying to teach us all to be.

We'll miss you, George. Speaking personally, your words and actions changed my life. I consider myself lucky to have known you as well as I did.

And I still can't believe that I'm saying that in the past tense.

RIP, George. And thanks. You will never be forgotten.

"We're all good men...." some more so than others.

May we all strive to lead a life that can result in the 62 posts prior to mine, where those we know and so admire for their own contributions pause to try to express the sadness, admiration, respect and search to find adequate words to describe the superlatives of this fine man.

Joe

I believe this is the photo you're talking about. George is down in amongst the people below but you can pick him out in an instant

JoshandGeorge.jpg

:angel1:

I believe this is the photo you're talking about. George is down in amongst the people below but you can pick him out in an instant

JoshandGeorge.jpg

thank you. I was about 4 rows off the field, right behind him.

RIP George Parks

He touched the lives of so many of our youth through the years, and not many others would have been able to achieve what he did with such dedication, style and grace. The marching activity will forever follow his model of leadership, sense of fierce competition and overall love for the marching art! He will truly be missed!!!!

Erica

All Buccaneers are invited to hum or sing the corps song at Noon EST on Sunday, September 19 in honor of George Parks. With Buccaneers spanning the globe, this should be quite a tribute and meaningful to each of us as we pause to reflect on what George meant to us individually and as a drum corps family.

Please help spread the word to fellow Buccaneers who may not be on DCP or see our posts on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you, Thomas Brown, for this wonderful idea.

Through all of my years in this activity, I have admired a number of DM's and Mr. Parks was definitely on that list ... up near the top. My condolences to his family and all he touched.

From open rehearsal last night. UMMB First rehearsal without George. ( Fight Song and My Way ) I didnt really know him that well but still makes me rather emotional just watching this.

This is truly a sad day for all of Drum and Bugle Corps,,,

I had the honor to march under the direction of the one and only, George Parks. It was the most memorable part of being a Buccaneer. The first show that I marched with the Bucs was like a dream,, looking over to see George leading me onto the field, it was the best moment of my Drum Corps career.

Rest in peace George,