When did the Cadets get their greatest applause?

In 1992, when it was announced that Star was in 3rd place, the crowd in Madison when absolutely crazy for the Cadets. Maybe some were just glad that it meant the Cavies "probably" won, or the fact that the Cadets were just really, really good....or both. Whatever reason, I don't remember a crowd getting so excited when CBC was involved in the formula, not in the last 20 years anyway.

I hope that IHOP considers that when they put together a show this year. If they really want the kids to be rewarded by crowd response, the 1992 show had no gimmicks, no props, no narration. Fresh concert music that fans had never heard. Fast drill from begining to end. More mellophone notes than the past 2 seasons put together. Like '93, and '97 and 98'. Shows people still talk about, even if they aren't usually a fan of the Cadets.

1) Please save the nostalgia for the encore. Move on. Stop living in the past. That's what the History Channel is for. You keep trying it and it doesn't work.

2) We've heard Danzon Finale before, PR '93 and Devils 99. This is gonna be like Malaguena...good..but not considered as good as the standard set by Madison '88.

3) Swing Swing Swing was great in '95. Then you tried to recreate it in '02 with Bugle Boy, and it wasn't all that. Sing Sing Sing is the same formula. You can do better.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly. I just really want the corps to be successful, and my definition of successful in a DC way means...I want the Cadets' show to be the one everybody wants to see. I mean an awesome, haunting show that people talk about for decades. Make it Fast, make it Furious, Make it New, Make it Cadets.

That is all.

Edited by mh31496

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree - Bugle Boy brought them what I think is probably the greatest applause in their history, at the encore in PA. If you know what I'm talking about, then, yes, it's probably one of the greatest reactions they've ever had.

As for Malaguena, I hate to admit it, but their '03 version is actually one of my favorites. But I do recognize I'm in a bit of a minority there. :smile:

Mike

In 1992, when it was announced that Star was in 3rd place, the crowd in Madison when absolutely crazy for the Cadets. Maybe some were just glad that it meant the Cavies "probably" won, or the fact that the Cadets were just really, really good....or both. Whatever reason, I don't remember a crowd getting so excited when CBC was involved in the formula, not in the last 20 years anyway.

I hope that IHOP considers that when they put together a show this year. If they really want the kids to be rewarded by crowd response, the 1992 show had no gimmicks, no props, no narration. Fresh concert music that fans had never heard. Fast drill from begining to end. More mellophone notes than the past 2 seasons put together. Like '93, and '97 and 98'. Shows people still talk about, even if they aren't usully a fan of the Cadets.

1) Please save the nostalgia for the encore. Move on. Stop living in the past. That's what the History Channel is for. You keep trying it and it doesn't work.

2) We've heard Danzon Finale before, PR '93 and Devils 99. This is gonna be like Malaguena...good..but not considered as good as the standard set by Madison '88.

3) Swing Swing Swing was great in '95. Then you tried to recreate it in '02 with Bugle Boy, and it wasn't all that. Sing Sing Sing is the same formula. You can do better.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly. I just really want the corps to be successful, and my definition of successful in a DC way means...I want the Cadets' show to be the one everybody wants to see. I mean an awesome, haunting show that people talk about for decades. Make it Fast, make it Furious, Make it New, Make it Cadets.

That is all.

The Cadets haven't gotten an amazing response in over 10 years and every single one of the ideas released so far sucks!

But I'm not trying to be negative nelly.

:smile:

Well, if you're speaking of response to a field show, perhaps 1983...when they were poised to win it all for the first time? The EAST EAST EAST chant at the end of the opener is epic -

Greatest applause ever for Garfield Cadets:

Hitting the company front toward the end of "Tonight" before the Z-pull. . . . 1984.

Explosion from the crowd. Explosion!

:smile::thumbup: :thumbup:

Runner-up: Re-form of the dissolving company front at the end of the final loud push of "Appalachian Spring Suite" in 1987.

People throwing babies!! Standing up and screaming!! Not just a few -- everyone!!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Wow - I would say my top three are 1983, 1984 and 1987, but I would be hard pressed to pick the order. I would probably say 1987 - Camp Randall went crazy man. I remember that place shaking a bit after that performance, but it did for SCV that night too. #### good Drum Corps for sure!!!

I disagree - Bugle Boy brought them what I think is probably the greatest applause in their history, at the encore in PA. If you know what I'm talking about, then, yes, it's probably one of the greatest reactions they've ever had.

As for Malaguena, I hate to admit it, but their '03 version is actually one of my favorites. But I do recognize I'm in a bit of a minority there. :smile:

Mike

I'm part of that minority too, Mike...I agree on both points.

Can't argue with any of their championship shows in the 80s.

I would argue that the crowd reaction in 2000 towards the end of the closer was pretty phenomenal. Granted, I wasn't there live, but in the audio recording, the crowd all but drowns out the corps final phrases.

That seems so strange to me and I really disagree with that notation, to pre-judge something like that seems very closed minded – I feel it’s somehow related to change is always good regardless of the change

Besides, the best version was Regiment 79 (one of the best musical books of all time). They had a raw, edgy sound that made it really aggressive; a gut with the low brass countered with a face punch from the sops, the answer call back between the horn voices was very well defined. The entire second half was a long great dynamic build into the closing climax, you need Morning to recover, a pallet cleanse, because it was that powerful. 93 was good, had similar arranging but the more polished sound and the visual demands kept it from rocking out like 79. 99 Blue Devils had a different take; they started with the drums and give it a different feel mainly by way of back beat, the drums carried more of the aggression – I was happy to hear it, enjoyed immensely. I love that piece and as long as it’s not chopped to death (which so far it hasn’t been) I want to hear it

So I’d go back and study your history again

But really, money talks and if the artsy, eccentric esoteric loving Cadets fans can effect the corps bottom line better than the traditionalist fans, you’ll get more of those shows, so send a check