Boston Crusaders 70th Anniversary weekend!

What an outstanding weekend for the Crusader organization!

Friday was the 12th annual Crusader Classic Golf tournament. We sold out all of our sponsorship levels, had 84 golfers and 16 volunteers. This was our best tournament to date and a great turnout of Crusader alumni from every decade. We are also very pleased to have alumni and friends from North Star - Beverly Cardinals - 27th Lancers - Defenders – Imperials on board for every Crusader event! We are also very fortunate to have several businesses and individuals supporting the Corps year after year.

The reunion on Saturday evening was outstanding! We had over 300 alumni and friends across all generations in attendance! There was stunning memorabilia on display including uniforms from every era. The evening opened with grace, a wonderful 5 course sit down dinner, and a scrolling slide show with over 1,000 photos from 1940 – 2010. Long time alum and Board member, Michael Woodall provided the key note speech recognizing the achievements of the Crusader family throughout the 70 year history. Tom Spataro, Executive Director, followed with comments on the state of the current Crusader organization which is very strong! Tom then introduced a DVD of the 2010 Boston Crusaders from the DCI finals. The Senior Corps with over 60 horns, a full drumline, Color Guard including an American Flag section was on fire with a True Crusader repertoire! A highlight of the night was the entire audience joining in to sing the corps song “Giant”. Dick Rust, who was the lead writer of the words to “Giant” back in 1962, was in attendance. He flew in form Argentina and was joined by other alumni that traveled long distances from as far away as Washington State and Japan!

It was truly a Giant weekend and great way to end an outstanding 70th year for the Crusader organization!

Sorry we were not able to make it.... Good to hear it was a great success!

Congratulations on the 70th to the BAC Organization and specifically to the 2010 Boston Crusaders for a truly great season!

I am humbled and honored to have been (IMHO, a very small) part of this great organization....

Here's to the future and continued success!

I couldn't make it as I had to bring two busloads of band kids from Maine down to the show in Weymouth....BUT, it was AWESOME to see the giant red neon WALDO lit up over the skyline in Boston as we drove by on the Expressway.....that thing must have been 100 feet off the ground!

What an appropriate 21st century equivalent to the hand-painted Waldo on the bridge abutment on 93!!! :rolleyes:

Glad the evening went well!!!!!!!

Edited by craiga

Hmm... i work the door at a bar in Dorchester and someone Saturday night left a "Crusaders All - 60th Anniversary, 2000" poster thing there with a pic of a bunch of people on it from what looks like the inside a hotel or ballroom. I wonder if it's from the same event?

Hey P&P, it very likely was left there by an alumni who'd left the reunion at the IBEW 103 Hall on Freeport Street. The bar closed early that night (10pm) and many attendees relived old times in the parking lot (after the band finished playing) for who knows how long. My wife and I left at a decent hour of midnight. What bar was the photo left at? By the way you are correct in that it sounds like a photo from the 60th reunion and it was held at the same IBEW hall

Hey P&P, it very likely was left there by an alumni who'd left the reunion at the IBEW 103 Hall on Freeport Street. The bar closed early that night (10pm) and many attendees relived old times in the parking lot (after the band finished playing) for who knows how long. My wife and I left at a decent hour of midnight. What bar was the photo left at? By the way you are correct in that it sounds like a photo from the 60th reunion and it was held at the same IBEW hall

was left at dbar - if anyone wants it let me know