What Makes You Mad?

Fans harrassing other fans that say "Band", even though Drum Corps IS Band. People voicing their opinions on particular shows (Not booing, booing's bad Mkay) and other users harrassing them for saying their opinions(usually that one old cavalier guy) and saying that "you're only mad because you lost to them", even though that's usually never the case. Dinosaurs saying that the 70's and 80's drum corps was so much better, when looking back, it was very simplistic and unrefined. I'm sure that last one will strike up some emotions, bring it on.

First, yeah, the flaming of someone's honest opinion gets to me after awhile. "You suck/No, YOU suck" has been on every internet msg board I've ever seen.

Second, I am a so-called dinosaur since I marched in the 80's. Of COURSE you see it as simplistic and unrefined. Compared to today's show designs, it is. Just like when you compare the 70's to the 80's. Do I think it was much better? From an overall performance standpoint, no. Although the MM worked just as hard then as they do now, today there is much more to work with as far as the talent pool goes. IMO, there are many more music majors marching today than back then. I have no data to support this, it's just my opinion. However, I think the activity could possibly have been more enjoyable BITD. There were more smaller corps who provided a marching experience for those who could not commit to the rigors of a DCI tour or just plain weren't good enough (or thought they weren't good enough) to make a top 25 corps. In that regard, I see drum corps as more enjoyable for more people. Sure, I love it when a corps tried to make my ears bleed (so long as it's in tune), which SEEMS to be more popular in the older shows. However, having a trained ear, I love well executed music, no matter what the idiom.

The bottom line is, this is a youth activity. Always has been. I'm probably gonna catch hell for saying this, but here goes. The activity does NOT belong to the fans. It belongs to the marching members who are CURRENTLY busting their tails to put out the best quality product they can. As an "old fart", I had my "day in the sun". I believe my generation has passed the legacy on to some very deserving people. Yes, many feel it was better in the old days because that's when we marched. Trust me when I say that at some point, after you have aged out, graduated and have a spouse and kids of your own, you will, at times, feel nostalgic for this time in your life.

As for what makes ME mad, is when experienced, talented and intelligent people here on this board lower themselves to the sarcastic and condescending comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the thread. Oddly enough, this seems to happen with people from every era, not just mine or today's "young guns".

inconsistent music ensemble and general effect judging

I agree with you here, although with the 70's and 80's Drum Corps would never have evolved into the activity it is today. The 70's and 80's were amazing, but they were not better than drum corps is today.

and of course, opinions on what music is more fulfilling, satisfying (or " better) goes back to the dawn of Man, and is not confined to just Drum Corps or which of it's era's is " better ". It could be any era that we believe it to be, as music is as personal as could be.

" It was the best of times. It was the worst of times "

Maybe Charles Dickens had it all down perfectly way back in 1859.

Edited by BRASSO

In no particular order:

Korean_fans-1.jpg

Ed_Hardy-1.gif

creationism-1sml.jpg

pic #1.... more fans

pic #2.... a more unintelligible fan

pic #3..... a more unintelligible and dangerous fan