Soloist Stories or Nightmares!

I went through the whole show without a mouth piece. We won the show and high horns.

LOL! Surprised they let you use a mouthpiece the rest of the year :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1972 my first show with the Scarborough (soon to be Seneca) Princemen (Birchmount Stadium). We played Eleanor Rigby for concert that year and I was on 29" timpani. We hadn't put cotter pins in our cranks yet and, as fate would have it, I dropped mine iduring the in to concert piece. The spare was up at the other end of the line and after yelling out 'crank' twice DURING the show (how do you spell penalty) I gave up. I had a solo B flat roll to open the concert number and ... you guess it ... air timpani was born!

That was my first show with a Junior A corps. Welcome to 'the big league' eh?

Another one?

Getting my lanyard caught in a piece of guard equipment in the off the line in 1975 (Oswego, NY). After being glued to the flag line member beside me for what seemed like an eternity, I extricated myself. Apologies to Sue Dunn!

1972 my first show with the Scarborough (soon to be Seneca) Princemen (Birchmount Stadium). We played Eleanor Rigby for concert that year and I was on 29" timpani. We hadn't put cotter pins in our cranks yet and, as fate would have it, I dropped mine iduring the in to concert piece. The spare was up at the other end of the line and after yelling out 'crank' twice DURING the show (how do you spell penalty) I gave up. I had a solo B flat roll to open the concert number and ... you guess it ... air timpani was born!

That was my first show with a Junior A corps. Welcome to 'the big league' eh?

Another one?

Getting my lanyard caught in a piece of guard equipment in the off the line in 1975 (Oswego, NY). After being glued to the flag line member beside me for what seemed like an eternity, I extricated myself. Apologies to Sue Dunn!

Sue Dunn was the nicest person ever. Of all the people you entangled with, I'm glad it was she ;-) I remember 1972 at CNE Stadium. I tripped on the new astroturf and said mark time huh...at that moment I, a soloist-sortof-only-1 DM, swallowed a bug...I clapped during the intros; a plan B approach...I was speechless the entire contest. Yikes! I loved Eleanor Rigby, Something, Norwegian Wood and Greensleeves :-)

Sue Dunn was the nicest person ever. Of all the people you entangled with, I'm glad it was she ;-)

She was, wasn't she?

I don't remember what hurt more the sound of hearing that deut or the pain laughing!!!! :tongue: As I remember it ,the beers came first and then the food.

1981 with DCA's Sunrisers..... Mike Fitzpatrick (mellophone) and I (French horn) had a duet in "Late in the Evening."

At the Boston Cup show that season... sometime in late June, I think it was..... the two of us had an absolutely HORRIBLE night. I mean, we completely gacked/mangled the duet that night. The worst we played it all season, by far... including rehearsals.

The upshot of the whole thing: Our corps (Sun) won the show.... our first win that season. Go figure. LOL. Heck, it was our first win since the 1979 season.

So... of course..... everyone in the corps wanted to hear the judges' tapes/cassette playback(s) of the performance... and, as a result, got to hear the fractured duet.... over, and over, and over again. :devil:

Mike and I heard it once.... then didn't want to hear it again. LOL. We walked away, went to get a bite to eat and then numerous beers. :ph34r:

In 1981 I was playing soprano with my hometown corps. We didn't do too many drum corps shows, but we did a lot of parades and concerts around town. I was still pretty young and had just gotten braces on my teeth. I was really struggling with the transition of having a whole bunch of metal in my face. I had a solo in our closer "My Way" by Frank Sinatra. This closer featured the first time the lead sops had to play up above high C that I had ever seen. It was taxing and on one particular day we had four concerts in a row and by the last one my chops were completely shot.

It got to my solo in My Way and I put my horn up to my face to play and could not get any sound to come out of my horn. I remember looking up and seeing a woman's face in the crowd and the look on her face was like-"oh my god, that poor boy".

Yeah I can laugh about it now, but it was pretty traumatic back then.

I was marching in the Madison Scouts in 1986 and our soprano soloist during Harlem Suite had a long exposed cadenza. He was an amazing player and nailed it every time- except for once. We were in Montreal for the drum corps show there and for some reason when it came time for the top note in the cadenza he completely missed. Silence- nothing but silence. You know the long, uncomfortable silence in a tense moment like that? Well it felt like about a year standing on the field. Thankfully our drum major gave the cue and the corps continued on like nothing had happened.

The next day at practice we were doing a band clinic for a local group. There were several hundred band kids in the stands watching us go through our work. We got to the spot in the show where the cadenza was and someone from the staff in the stands made some smart azz comment about the "frack" the night before. The soloist slinked away from his position at the front of the field. It was more as a joke, but the entire corps had a good laugh about it. Before anyone knew what was happening my friend from the soprano line took the opportunity and ran up to the front sideline like he was going to "fill in". This brought out even more laughter from the corps.

Then, all of a sudden, the soloist came back and pantsed the prankster in front of all the band kids. Laughter came from the field as well as the stands. Instead of slinking away and being embarrassed, the jokester sop player raised his arms above his head like he had just won the world heavy weight belt! With his pants around his knees and several hundred people watching him he had the ballz to stand there as if to say "look at me world"!

I don't remember what hurt more the sound of hearing that deut or the pain laughing!!!! :tongue: As I remember it ,the beers came first and then the food.

:tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

:tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

You guys coming to the Sun Reunion Ensemble in November (when it kicks off)???

You know you want to.

Plus you can announce us and spare us Andy or Cupcakes.