New Championships Week format

I do go to OC semis and finals as well as all 3 WC events.

and personally, IMO, there is no downside to this at all. if anything, it may make stagnant corps at the bottom of WC work and program smarter, and can help get exposure to OC corps, long the ######## children of DCI.

Then go to DCI Regionals of Finals, for many years the ONLY time when you can see everyone (assuming you mean all WC, and not all WC + OC).

Don't fault the biggest draws of the activity for wanting more performance opportunities just because they want to keep their exclusivity to an extent.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p?showforum=295

I won't do your homework for you

Could you give me Cliff Notes?

I don't know all the answers - but let me take a stab at what I think I know:

You are the only volunteer so far.

1. Who gets the money from these experimental top-8 shows? (And who pays the costs of running them?)

DCI / (DCI)

I was hoping for something more specific than that. After all, money is largely what this is all about. Is DCI running all these events by themselves (without any TEPs)? If there is a TEP, is their deal different from that of a regular DCI show? If there is no TEP, is DCI taking all the financial risk/reward? Or is some portion going to (or coming from, if there is a net loss) the eight corps that participate?

3. Does open-class get any money (appearance fees or a share of ticket sales) from the Thursday "World Championship Prelims" to offset the loss of revenue from their discontinued Friday/Saturday events?

No they do not get ticket money. But they also no longer have expenses (such as stadium rent). Probably a net wash for those events.

As I understand it, the one substantial "subsidy" provided to the now-separately-budgeted open-class was the free stadium use on days already rented for world-class events. I believe open-class still got the ticket revenue from their semis and finals added to their ledger....now they won't have that.

5. For that matter, did open-class have any input into this decision to reformat championship week? No one from any part of open-class administration is quoted in DCI's press release.

If this meeting was like other large DCI meetings, there were at least 2 Open Class people in the room participating. I would think that the changes that have the biggest implications (the new Championship week format) were discussed by the Open Class advisoyry board prior to the DCI meeting.

Input I am getting indicates that your guess, educated as it may be, was only half right.

6. Open-class allows shorter shows than world-class. Was any forethought given to what will happen to open-class units with shows shorter than the world-class minimum time limit when they compete head-to-head (i.e. will they be penalized)?

From what I've heard, they will not be penalized. They will be judged on the content of whatever they present.

Frankly, either way will work....as long as it is decided before Xmas. If corps need 10:00 of show to stay penalty-free, let's tell them while they are designing their programs.

Since the much ballyhooed Cesario information was discussed this week, maybe we'll get an announcement soon with what it may be.

I just spoke with Bob Jacobs, DCI's Marketing Quarterback. Mike gave a daylong presentation this past weekend and the results of his study will be announced probably next week, once all concerned parties determine how any actions resulting from the presentation will be implemented.

i'm happily married sorry

:tongue:

Thanks!!!

And thank you for being the sunshine of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spoke with Bob Jacobs, DCI's Marketing Quarterback. Mike gave a daylong presentation this past weekend and the results of his study will be announced probably next week, once all concerned parties determine how any actions resulting from the presentation will be implemented.

good. i look forward to this a lot

good. i look forward to this a lot

Me too... on an unrelated note, I love all this off-season discussion happening on DCP!

Speaking as a guy who has marched Open Class the past 2 years, I like the idea of this new format.

Edited by Impuls!vebari

I like that they are at least trying to change things and improve them. Good For DCI management. As one that has been critical of them in the past, I definitely want to be on record as commending the effort and wishing for the best.