New Championships Week format

ok. both have bad echo issues. feel better?

Better, yes. But all I know is I never had a good acoustic experience in the RCA Dome, while my perch in the Lucas Oil Stadium has sound beyond compare, with the possible exception of the remarkable sounds from all the corps at the Houston shows.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better, yes. But all I know is I never had a good acoustic experience in the RCA Dome, while my perch in the Lucas Oil Stadium has sound beyond compare, with the possible exception of the remarkable sounds from all the corps at the Houston shows.

and I know that Allentown, Madison, Foxboro, Franklin Field, Orlando, Buffalo, Jackson, Dallas, Maryland, KC, and any other stadium without any type of roof or Montreal like overhang sounded light years better

to be honest, i thoughtof this and went back and looked. really, no one made any huge jumps in prelims the last few years that this would affect.

There has been movement each of the last few years, so that's not completely true. May not have been big movement, but a corps did win a few years ago after coming in 2nd in prelims and semis, and there has been movement in other spots as well. That same philosophy can be used with World Class. Why have 3 rounds if there isn't much movement between them?

The point is it's about being able to say you were a DCI Finalist in your class, and having the experience of achieving that status and being able to call yourself a finalist.

It affects all those kids and corps who would have been able to say they were a finalist and now can't.

Edited by idel

and I know that Allentown, Madison, Foxboro, Franklin Field, Orlando, Buffalo, Jackson, Dallas, Maryland, KC, and any other stadium without any type of roof or Montreal like overhang sounded light years better

The acoustics in Jackson '93 and Kansas City '88 were so good I could hear the sweat pouring off my body and splashing on the bleachers.

I'm not real high on the OC corps losing one performance. I understand it saves money, etc. Why not do a day/night format in MC so you can still have a "finals" for OC? Start early. Then bring back the top 12 that night in a finals show.

But it is cool to allow them into "prelims" and has to save some money in Indy with the new format.

I love the changes to Championship week! I will also avoid the G-8 series at all cost. Sorry, just don't like the way that is headed....

Ahh..."G-8"...so, I was right!! Welcome to the club, Blue Stars. World Series of Drum Corps...I guess you do have to have 8 to make the playoffs, eh? Kind of hard to make it work with 7. [/sarcasm]

Here is something to banter about: For sake of argument lets say that there are two criteria youth use to choose to which corps to audition for in any given year: 1) Quality of the performance of that corps; and 2) Competitive environment in which that particular corps performs. The top eight corps certainly provide (quality), and according to the DCI article a varied judging system will be in place for those "special shows" which will provide (competitive environment). Question: Since the special experimental shows provide both of those items, and entry into those shows is based off of merit not elitism, could this new judging and show format actually fly as the future of the overall DCI activity?

If the yet to be developed new judging criteria/system actually turns up some worthwhile concepts that can later be adopted for wider use - that's a good thing. If it turns out that the changes are not worthwhile, then we still have the current sytem in place without having modified it through new (untested) rules proposals.

This has the potential to be a win-win for the activity.

It's easy to schedule the top eight corps of the current season into Murfreesboro because all the World Class corps will be a few hours away in Atlanta the next day. To do the top eight according to current season results would make it impossible for there to be two or more different tours simultaneously as all corps would have to compete together to produce the top-eight results.

Also, Murfreesboro corps are determined by the major events leading up to the Masters of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES. Many of these new types of shows will be earlier in the season, when all the corps haven't met in the same place yet.

Agreed for earlier season, it makes more sense to do prior season. But once regionals start, its not that hard to come up with poDssible ideas. The corps dont spread out incredibly much.

For example... how about:

Minneapolis regional saturday.

Somewhere in between (sun-tues likely) Kansas City top 8 show based on MN results.

San Antonio Regional Saturday

Murfreesboro Thurs\fri, top 8 show based on San Antonio results

Atlanta Regional Saturday

East Coast g8 show(s) (DC?) thurs

Allentown fri\sat

Finals

All I want to say is Thank God Open Class isn't having it's Finals in LOS anymore. Hopefully the DVD (or downloads, w.e) will come from Michigan City, where the crowd is more supportive (even if only seemingly) and the corps seem to be big enough to be considered. LOS just makes them seem too small.