The rebirth of En Garde!

Having been an accredited teacher in LA Unified, I see this as being VERY difficult and highly unlikely to push through. Even if Ben is ready in time, who knows if/when the hiring freeze will end. As it is now, there are plans for more pink slips to eliminate more elementary school music positions. Like this year, teachers would be bumped by seniority, not by competency or position.

Unless you're already working from the inside to make this happen, I think you might run into a brick wall called "LA school site admin" whose favorite word when it comes to extra work starts with "N" and ends with "O".

That said....good luck!

Edited by alto92

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been an accredited teacher in LA Unified, I see this as being VERY difficult and highly unlikely to push through. Even if Ben is ready in time, who knows if/when the hiring freeze will end. As it is now, there are plans for more pink slips to eliminate more elementary school music positions. Like this year, teachers would be bumped by seniority, not by competency or position.

Unless you're already working from the inside to make this happen, I think you might run into a brick wall called "LA School Site" admin whose favorite word when it comes to extra work starts with "N" and ends with "O".

That said....good luck!

True...but as the school is currently under construction, they have to fund SOME teachers! If nothing else, the program could be altered to be volunteer with school support (leaves Ben out in the cold job-wise, tho). The logistics and equipment issues would still be in the way, of course.

We lose nothing by trying....we lose EVERYTHING by not.

If the new school doesn't work out, I might have a backup plan, but I want to see what this school says first.

As a back up plan how about the idea that GCS is doing in Texas, were college credit is given for the drum corps experiance. They're some many colleges in Southern Cal and I think this would help membership and benefit the collegiate musical program. GSC has gotten positive feedback so far..........but it's still in the early stages.

Don't understand the DCA reasoning, but that's OK, it's good for Drum Corps. What mystifies me is why people in California seem to like to make things so complicated. Hell, just do it man, and good luck in your endeavor! :blink:

Because California itself is complicated.. I mean c'mON have you seen our weather lately?? :tongue:

And instead of En Garde you should move to Santa Clarita and call yourselves the Santa Clarita Vanguard!! :tongue:

Edited by Impuls!vebari

Because California itself is complicated.. I mean c'mON have you seen our weather lately?? :tongue:

And instead of En Garde you should move to Santa Clarita and call yourselves the Santa Clarita Vanguard!! :tongue:

Heh....every time I drive up to that area and see a sign with SCV on it, I think of the Vanguard!

@ Eric....the backup plan is a different school that had a 97-98 Cavie alum as the band director.

Just some notes/concerns that occur to me, Sam:

As for other questions....we're going All-Age for a number of reasons.

1) There are already plenty of Jr corps in our region who are struggling for numbers...there's no need to jump into THAT pond.

2) Less pressure to tour nationally....an expense we would not be able to afford.

3) Going All-Age means the summer program is finished sooner...giving the HS kids some summer vacation time.

4) Sure we could do the same by staying a regional Jr, but then we'd lose out on recruiting age-outs and others above DCI age...SoCal Dream needs some local competition!

(snipped)

1) Except by linking with a HS, you're in the exact same recruiting pool as the Jr Corps... and no matter where your membership comes from, you're still in the same pond when it comes to equipment, transpo, show scheduling, etc.

2) Except for that trip to Rochester(or rather, Annapolis in 2012)... which if you're not planning on doing anyway, makes this reason even less important, since it's pretty much standard practice for several jr. corps (in So Cal, no less), to not bother with touring nationally.

3)Except, again, for that trip to Annapolis... which, again, if you're not planning on doing at any point, makes not being a regional DCI corps rather silly.

And if you do plan on eventually doing DCA nationals, then the "short season" idea goes right out the window, because DCA is already so much later than DCI nationals to begin with.

And,

4) Because SoCal Dream has such a huge surplus of age-out-plus people clamoring to get in the door. :tongue: [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, between Dream and Freelancers Alumni South and the various incarnations of Blue Phoenix, just how many vets/nevermarched old guys do you think there are in Southern California? The recruiting pool has never been huge, especially compared to NorCal.

As for DCA west and you marching, I'm on-board with both of those ideas, and I wish you great luck in this program. Although I think you're over-estimating just how much marching you're going to be able to do while also being the lead-man on organizing the program. It can be tough for Directors to get on the field, even in small-time senior corps.

Just watch out for the adult/minors complications inherent in bringing older people into a group linked so closely to a high-school; the liability issues will have to be watched *very* closely, or you're going to wind up with a minor making googely-eyes at a 30-year-old, and a parental lawsuit, nevermind the potential for minors to get beer, etc. Even going to NorCal for the Renegades shows will be a chaperoning nightmare if you wind up with any sort of age mixture. Being attached to a school adds all sorts of concerns that way, too (have fun with the helicopter parents, for instance, nevermind helicoptering school administrators and board members).

And remember, general liability insurance only goes so far.

It all sounds great but it has nothing to do with DCI world class so why haven't the all powerful Mods moved this? :tongue:

6) Frankly...I wanna march again! :tongue:

Sam, you're the best!

Please let me know when you start up, I'd like to send you your first pair of cymbals.

It all sounds great but it has nothing to do with DCI world class so why haven't the all powerful Mods moved this? :tongue:

Because the Original Poster (Sam) IS World Class!

+++

General interest subjects should be allowed to start on this forum, then moved after a week or so if it is deemed too specialized.

That would be my vote.

Just some notes/concerns that occur to me, Sam:

1) Except by linking with a HS, you're in the exact same recruiting pool as the Jr Corps... and no matter where your membership comes from, you're still in the same pond when it comes to equipment, transpo, show scheduling, etc.

I see your point, but you miss the fact that the first semester is all students from that one school...THAT recruiting would already be done...the likely number of outside kids IS likely to be smaller...unless low fees are an attraction

2) Except for that trip to Rochester(or rather, Annapolis in 2012)... which if you're not planning on doing anyway, makes this reason even less important, since it's pretty much standard practice for several jr. corps (in So Cal, no less), to not bother with touring nationally.

3)Except, again, for that trip to Annapolis... which, again, if you're not planning on doing at any point, makes not being a regional DCI corps rather silly.

Not entirely...the school admins aren't really going to care about the touring plans of Impulse, VK, or Gold...they WILL care about their own kids, however, and a minimal summer season means less continuing stress on the kids and parent...both financial an emotional (from separation on tour).

And if you do plan on eventually doing DCA nationals, then the "short season" idea goes right out the window, because DCA is already so much later than DCI nationals to begin with.
Any decision on going to DCA would be several years in the future, if at all....the expense in getting every one/thing back east ALONE is a deal killer for me, unless we happen to line up a rich sponsor (yeah...riiiight)
4) Because SoCal Dream has such a huge surplus of age-out-plus people clamoring to get in the door. :tongue: [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, between Dream and Freelancers Alumni South and the various incarnations of Blue Phoenix, just how many vets/nevermarched old guys do you think there are in Southern California? The recruiting pool has never been huge, especially compared to NorCal.

Actually, there are plenty of alums of various corps in the region...the trick has always been to get them to come out in the first place. An uphill battle, I know.

As for DCA west and you marching, I'm on-board with both of those ideas, and I wish you great luck in this program. Although I think you're over-estimating just how much marching you're going to be able to do while also being the lead-man on organizing the program. It can be tough for Directors to get on the field, even in small-time senior corps.

I considered that....although you don't know my rationale...I'd go for the DM slot...my work schedule makes me miss a lot of weekends anyway, and it's a lot easier to miss the guy on the podium (as someone else can step up) than to have a months long hole on the field...we'll see. it may BE that I can't hit the field...but that's the joy of Sr...I can always try in future years.

Just watch out for the adult/minors complications inherent in bringing older people into a group linked so closely to a high-school; the liability issues will have to be watched *very* closely, or you're going to wind up with a minor making googely-eyes at a 30-year-old, and a parental lawsuit, nevermind the potential for minors to get beer, etc. Even going to NorCal for the Renegades shows will be a chaperoning nightmare if you wind up with any sort of age mixture. Being attached to a school adds all sorts of concerns that way, too (have fun with the helicopter parents, for instance, nevermind helicoptering school administrators and board members).
Oh yes....THAT one I'm aware of!
And remember, general liability insurance only goes so far.

Understood.