1. 1. What's the hardest horn to play?

• Soprano / Trumpet
    • Piccolo Trumpet
    • Mellophone / Alto
    • French Horn
    • Baritone
    • Euphonium
    • Contra / Tuba

I thought this poll was about the hardest horn to play, not march! With regards to marching difficulty, my vote goes to euph. and contra. But since we are talking about playing, I give the nod to the "French" horn. No other brass instrument has to deal with as many partials (in its typical register) as the horn does. A horn mouthpiece also has the thinnest rim, which makes control rather difficult. We also transpose more than any other instrument.

Triple horns aren't any more difficult than doubles. They're heavier, but are actually easier to play (wider partials in the upper range). For any of you single horn players out there, throw it away and switch to a double now! Just my words of wisdom from years of experience.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt, the french horn. Due to the technical aspects and major intonation problems that can occur. Too bad corps rarely use these beautiful instruments anymore, because I think they add so much to a horn line!

• 6 months later...

I am a flute player originally. In drum corps, I play baritone. I am playing tuba in campus band right now too. Whenever I try and high brass instrument the only sound I can manage to get out is a tone that rhymes with "brass"...... French horn is hard because of the partials, but my range is about 5 notes on trumpet/cornet.

Depends if you're talking single or double horn?? I started on single, and was forced to double in high school, its a little strange actually using your thumb for a key, but once you're used to it, its pretty easy. I had an easier time learning FH than mello and trumpet.

what about a triplet horn  :P

I've never seen a triple horn, let alone played one...

I'd like to try it once.  Although it's pretty safe to say that my F. Horn skills have left me...

*sigh*

I went to a masterclass a few weeks ago and the guy teaching it played on a triple horn for a few high exerpts (ex Brandenburg Concertos)

Every horn has its own challenges, so I don't think any horn is really "easier" than another. For my own horn, tuba, there are a myriad of challenges. It's important to have full air support for a full sound, a good embouchere to insure good tone quality and centered pitches, and solid technique so there is good definition between notes, and so both soft and hard attacks are consistent and sound good. Many young tuba players (not necessarily in years, but more in musical experience) tend towards one of two styles of bad playing. Either they play with a wide undefined embouchere, little air and no tongue, resulting in an airy sound with no articulation, or they play with their teeth closed and have a sound that can be likened to a laser beam. With lessons, these can be corrected and technique can be learned, but I think that playing the tuba/contra can be as difficult as any of the other instruments. One of the biggest challenges, I think, is to develop good technique to go along with good use of air. If you have a nice full sound, but can't tongue solidly, or tongue so hard the tone breaks, that's a problem that is on par with those you will find in learning other instruments.

i said Euphonium just cause we gotta hold that monster up in front of us the whole time! :P

Here here. This will be my third year carrying one of those things, and it never gets any easier!

I think the euph can also be a bit of a trick in the sense of what it's designed to do, which is serve as a bridge between the baritone and contra section instead of just providing another (and heavier) baritone/low brass voicing.

I'd also nominate the contra for the sheer fact that playing it requires lungs the volume of scuba tanks.

hands down....french horn.

Kimela