1. 1. What's the hardest horn to play?

• Soprano / Trumpet
    • Piccolo Trumpet
    • Mellophone / Alto
    • French Horn
    • Baritone
    • Euphonium
    • Contra / Tuba

Of course, when you think about some of the tuba players (I know there's a difference) at a high school (I don't want to stereotype, I really don't)...I just couldn't see some of them really taking it up a level and march in a corps.

But that's not a justifiable reason.

Think about it. People see the sops/trumpets screaming and playing the melodies...it seems a bit more fun than a cumbersome instrument. I have so much respect for you contras, honestly. I think when kids decide on instruments, the low brass suffers a little.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I played baritone in '87 and '88, I laughed at the contras because unless they were required to play, their horns were on the sidelines. When I switched to contra in '89, I understood why. Those King contras were big and heavy and got hot as Hades in the sun.

While I agree on the contra statements, F horn has been phased out in many corps because they are so difficult to clean, tune, etc. In fact, is there anyone out there using them?

BTW, I am going to try to move lower altos to FH and add some fluglehorns as well next year, corps finances permitting of course. (Mike--hint, hint) :D I really like the texture to the sound that both provide to a line.

BTW, I am going to try to move lower altos to FH...

Can I have my French Horn back, then? (If you aren't using it this year).

From a playing standpoint french horn gets my vote. Though as a lifelong SOP a contra is a perplexing thing to me as well.

The hauling around thing unmitigatedly goes to the contras.

BTW, I am going to try to move lower altos to FH...

Can I have my French Horn back, then? (If you aren't using it this year).

Of course you can Chris! I had no idea that we had one. Must've gotten it from you before I came aboard. Do you need it right away or can it wait for the "Loudest Show on Earth"??

Let me know!

• 2 months later...

Picc. trumpet, by far. Highest tessitura, smallest bore (high degree of back-pressure), smallest amount of lip movement between notes (requires extreme precision), small mouthpiece that bottoms out when pressure is used, and literature that unfailingly requires transposition.