Troopers 2011

Don't quote me on this. I heard the Troopers are thinking of going the way of the 2010 Madison Scouts. Now wouldn't that be another great show to look forward to? In this case, I certainly hope these particular off season rumors are true!

I would love to see a show of "Trooper's Greatest Hits"! Yellow Rose of Texas, Battle Hymn, and the other possiblilities are extremely interesting. But, of course, this music would get a boost in difficulty and musicallity that the new corps exudes. Maybe using a modernized "crossed-sabres" on the CG equipment and bringing back the scarves and white gauntlets are also ideas. :laughing:

Don't quote me on this. I heard the Troopers are thinking of going the way of the 2010 Madison Scouts. Now wouldn't that be another great show to look forward to? In this case, I certainly hope these particular off season rumors are true!

They're moving operations to Bloomington and having Jim Mason plan the show?

They're moving operations to Bloomington and having Jim Mason plan the show?

Exactly... madison's success was much more than just pulling out some classics.

Also... iirc, wasnt their 04 show a bit of this? I liked this show, but its an example of a show heavy with previously used music not being competitively succesful.

tease :laughing:

Exactly... madison's success was much more than just pulling out some classics.

Also... iirc, wasnt their 04 show a bit of this? I liked this show, but its an example of a show heavy with previously used music not being competitively succesful.

it's all in how design and teach the kids to do it. 09's theme understandable. this years not as much

That was a typo. The corps is doing music from the 1970 film, "The Aristocats."

Aristocats.jpg

You beat me to it!

Now ... everyone wish Mike Boo a happy birthday (i.e. October 5th).

What kind of show do you think troop's gonna come out with for'11? Apparently, they have an all new design staff this year.

Far be it for an outsider like me to tell the Troopers what to do design wise.

But I do think I know this:

If the Troopers intend to get back any time soon to being a top Drum Corps, it will NOT be to become like the Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, or any other Corps. The Troopers will need to ask themselves the most fundamental of questions, ie ...what was it that made us special in the first place ? unique ? different ? good ?

If the model in show design the The Troopers adopt is one that we might find in just about any other DCI Corps, then they will struggle forever, in my opinion.... FOREVER.

On the other hand, if The Troopers can look at themselves honestly in the mirror, and come up with what should be EASY answers to the above questions, then the sky is the limit for this Corps over the next decade.

And for my blunt assessment... for what it's worth.... if the reports are true that The Troopers might do a show design revolving around the cutsy " Aristocats ", then in my humble opinion.... " This ain't it "

If the Troopers intend to get back any time soon to being a top Drum Corps, it will NOT be to become like the Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, or any other Corps. The Troopers will need to ask themselves the most fundamental of questions, ie ...what was it that made us special in the first place ? unique ? different ? good ?

If the model in show design the The Troopers adopt is one that we might find in just about any other DCI Corps, then they will struggle forever, in my opinion.... FOREVER.

On the other hand, if The Troopers can look at themselves honestly in the mirror, and come up with what should be EASY answers to the above questions, then the sky is the limit for this Corps over the next decade.

I agree, having an identity or 'brand' can be good thing. However.... what if what made them among the top corps is something that isnt competitive in this day and age?

You have to go back to 74 to find a time when they were truly 'among the top' consistently, 75 to include a period where they were finalists consistently (the period between 1963-1975 according to corpsreps).. aside from that, theyve had a couple pops up into finals, but then have dropped right back down unfortunately. And for a 20 year period from 88-07 the corps only made 'semifinalist' status (until the recent change to 25) 3 times.

Unlike madison, which HAS had quite a bit of success in modern drum corps, troopers cant just go and recreate from past successes because well... in the modern era, there really isnt much 'success' to draw from, unfortunately.

And for my blunt assessment... for what it's worth.... if the reports are true that The Troopers might do a show design revolving around the cutsy " Aristocats ", then in my humble opinion.... " This ain't it "

you completely missed the joke here, lol.

I agree, having an identity or 'brand' can be good thing. However.... what if what made them among the top corps is something that isnt competitive in this day and age?

You have to go back to 74 to find a time when they were truly 'among the top' consistently, 75 to include a period where they were finalists consistently (the period between 1963-1975 according to corpsreps).. aside from that, theyve had a couple pops up into finals, but then have dropped right back down unfortunately. And for a 20 year period from 88-07 the corps only made 'semifinalist' status (until the recent change to 25) 3 times.

Unlike madison, which HAS had quite a bit of success in modern drum corps, troopers cant just go and recreate from past successes because well... in the modern era, there really isnt much 'success' to draw from, unfortunately.

you completely missed the joke here, lol.

I do understand that The Troopers have not been in the upper echelon of Drum Corps for quite awhile. That said, the road back is not to try and become ( for just one example, say ) Carolina Crown. That won't do it for them, imo.

The Troopers don't need to go back to the 60's either. But they do need to have the look and feel of the Wild West... of " Americana "....of being freedom loving Cowboys, Cowgirls. They need to be like.... well.... Wyoming. Not like Olrando Florida Disney with cutsy talking surburban house kittens as their Musical and Visual theme show motivation. You know what I'm sayin' here ' ?

Do " The Troopers "want to have the look and feel of tough minded, frontier " Troopers " or do they want to portray the look and feel of dancing, smiling kittens ? If " The Troopers " go soft and whimsical on us with their future themes, then in my opinion they need to finally change their name to something else, as they are completely lost in the Drum Corps theme wilderness going in that direction, imo. As someone that truly loves the heritage that is " The Troopers " it really saddens me to see them so completely lost of late in their " brand " identity. And make no mistake about it, they are as lost as can be right now in their branding identity. Whatever " Troopers " are, they most definately arn't warm, fuzzy, cuddly creatures. That's for dam sure.

Edited by BRASSO