DC Facebook pages

Here's the problem with using facebook "Likes" as a metric: Yes, it means someone clicked on something for the corps, organization, whatever...it indicates some type of affinity, but especially with the newer facebook pages, "Like"ins versus being "friends" with, it doesn't mean much. Facebook is a great tool, and the popularity contest metric looks like it's valuable, but when 683,252 people like "The Sun" it should give you a little bit of perspective.

Facebook is fun--it's a valuable tool when used right, but let's not give it more weight than it warrants. Can having more "likes" mean more cash? Possibly. IS it indicative of purchasing power? No.

Here's the problem with using facebook "Likes" as a metric: Yes, it means someone clicked on something for the corps, organization, whatever...it indicates some type of affinity, but especially with the newer facebook pages, "Like"ins versus being "friends" with, it doesn't mean much. Facebook is a great tool, and the popularity contest metric looks like it's valuable, but when 683,252 people like "The Sun" it should give you a little bit of perspective.

Facebook is fun--it's a valuable tool when used right, but let's not give it more weight than it warrants. Can having more "likes" mean more cash? Possibly. IS it indicative of purchasing power? No.

Like I said, they’re interesting stats but not ones to base any concrete claims upon. However, I am convinced that Facebook has the potential to be a decent source of revenue for all World/Open class corps.

Generic Drum Corps fans (of which I am the perfect example) may not be on every corps mailing list but will get to hear of new products via FB. The only official mailing list I’m on is Phantom Regiments but I have bought items from both BD & Crown’s web stores because I saw them mentioned on FB.

The new "quick link" to the Crown Facebook page is - www.facebook.com/carolinacrown

Collectively, the G8 have more than double the number of FB fans than DCI + the other non G8 corps added together. Although that's quite an interesting fact, it's not a sound principle to form a breakaway group but it does illustrate where the fan power lies in DCI.

Yes but think of how many of those fans are a fan of more than 1 or possibly all 8 of those corps. you can't really add those 8 corps numbers and compare them to the one DCI site since the 8 corps could have a lot of the same fans in common.

Facebook is fun--it's a valuable tool when used right, but let's not give it more weight than it warrants.

"Having just spent another morning of my life reading the most boring details of other people's mornings, I've realized how very little things like Twitter, FaceBook, or FriendFeed actually contribute to one's life: it's more like sitting in a room full of over-caffeinated narcissistic Tourette's patients with ADHD who are all trying to be the most entertaining. And, really, what's so social about a monologue?" - Katherine Berry