major weakness with current A&E

No there isn't, and yes they do. For the record, I was the sound engineer that was upstairs on the phone with the one running the board for Teal Sound.

If you were upstairs on the phone then you were breaking the rules.

I was on tour with a corps this last summer as well and it was made explicitly clear that we could not do this. It was actually made clear for the first time that we couldn't do this starting in either 2008 or 2009 (I can't remember which year).

Ok roosevelt, it's proof time! Got any?

Just what I was told to relay to instructors and what I witnessed on Semifinals night with one of the top 6 corps getting busted on it in the yamaha booth...

Yamaha posted a video feature about Bluecoats controlling using an iphone on their facebook site during the season.

http://www.twitvid.com/C2NZZ

Pretty cool stuff!

They ended up not using it on finals night and used a cell phone instead since some idiot had an issue with it.

DCI knew they were doing it all season and there's nothing in the DCI rulebook that specifically says that you can't so it WAS legal.

Was the rule passed this year clarifying that it is legal? I think it was proposed. Anything to help with balance is great!

If you were upstairs on the phone then you were breaking the rules.

I was on tour with a corps this last summer as well and it was made explicitly clear that we could not do this. It was actually made clear for the first time that we couldn't do this starting in either 2008 or 2009 (I can't remember which year).

Actually, no. I know several percussion/brass caption heads that used a cell phone to communicate down to the sound board all season including finals week. I watched sound technicians standing right next to TonyDiCarlo on their cell phone during Quarterfinals during their entire performance with no problem at all. This happened for four corps in a row when I was in stadium and there was no issue.

I think you got some wrong information.

Edited by rmurrey74

yes the cell phone thing was passed, however i dont see anything about ipads in last years rule change

Yamaha posted a video feature about Bluecoats controlling using an iphone on their facebook site during the season.

http://www.twitvid.com/C2NZZ

Pretty cool stuff!

They ended up not using it on finals night and used a cell phone instead since some idiot had an issue with it.

DCI knew they were doing it all season and there's nothing in the DCI rulebook that specifically says that you can't so it WAS legal.

Was the rule passed this year clarifying that it is legal? I think it was proposed. Anything to help with balance is great!

There are plenty of things that aren't in the rule book that you are told that you can't do BTW. For example, I doubt that it states in the rule book that you can't scream at the top of your lungs during another corps performance if you are on staff for someone else, but I imagine it would not be allowed by contest coordinatorsif you did so.

Anyways, there was an e-mail that went out at one point from I believe Sue at DCI saying that we couldn't use walkie-talkies or cell phones to mix from the stands and that we needed to mix in person from the track. This was BEFORE the ipad came out, so I imagine things will be looked at differently now.

I for one think that remote mixing is an excellent idea. I doubt that there are any corps out there that would not want to mix from up top, but the issues that happened this past summer with the Bluecoats were as follows:

1. Corps were told that they coudn't do this and some corps did anyway (I thought that it was just bluecoats, but I guess Teal sound did as well). That is a problem. If a corps is told that they can't do something than it needs to be enforced for every corps.

2. There needs to be a specific zone set aside at every show for people to be able to do this. At finals bluecoats were doing this in the yamaha booth which was right next to the judges booth this year. This means they got to tweak and adjust the levels more accurately than people who were not yamaha corps. that is an unfair advantage.

I am all for remote mixing. It is the only way that electronics will really work. EVERY stadium is different in it's acoustical properties. The size of the track (if there is one), the size of the wall (if there is one), the kind of back stands, the shape of the stadium or dome, and a number of other factors change how things sound up top. There are many times when things sound fine on the track, but don't sound good up top and vice-versa. For this to be fair there needs to be a place set aside for this at every show (or at least every major show). It will improves every corps performance, eliminate a lot of headaches and guess work by the corp staff AND it will be better for the audience.

My guess is that there will be discussion about it and it will be made legal and/or clarified further for this next season, BUT corps were told that you couldn't mix from anywhere but the board.

so corps were told other than what was published as a passed rules change?

Actually, no. I know several percussion/brass caption heads that used a cell phone to communicate down to the sound board all season including finals week. I watched sound technicians standing right next to TonyDiCarlo on their cell phone during Quarterfinals during their entire performance with no problem at all. This happened for four corps in a row when I was in stadium and there was no issue.

I think you got some wrong information.

Hmm. Well, I have worked with a couple of drum corps the last few years and I heard the same thing at each place from different folks. It sounds like some people are not being consistent with their information from corps to corps.

Hmm. Well, I have worked with a couple of drum corps the last few years and I heard the same thing at each place from different folks. It sounds like some people are not being consistent with their information from corps to corps.

You should probably contact Tony DiCarlo and let him know the rules since he had no problem with it and didn't penalize anyone all week. Hopefully DCI clarifies it going forward.

You should probably contact Tony DiCarlo and let him know the rules since he had no problem with it and didn't penalize anyone all week. Hopefully DCI clarifies it going forward.

Thanks, but I try to avoid Tony at all costs....:/

I do hope they clarify things though and I hope that they set a side a place where people can mix from up top while not on a cell phone or walkie talkie