major weakness with current A&E

You're missing my point, the rule wasn't stretched, it was broken... by doing something that was specifically addressed prior to the season beginning.

Actually, the rule was never passed.

What happened was that it was determined that a rule was unnecessary, and it was considered an administrative function of the contest directors. The original rule proposed was for alternative location of the sound board, which was amended once or twice, and then dropped.

But truth is that at major shows the location for the staff person that could call down to the board usually wasn't a problem. At MOST of the shows that weren't regionals, or at least a considerable sized stadium, even the show coordinators did not supply a specific spot to mix from...and actually did not even know they were supposed to. (or at least they acted that way). And we went on right after Kamaraq's corps in many shows.

The way it isnt now certainly isnt perfect, but I cannot see a sound board in the stands, unless it was universal to all of the corps. Nobody would buy that, because they want to use familiar equipment.

Donny

You're missing my point, the rule wasn't stretched, it was broken... by doing something that was specifically addressed prior to the season beginning.

technically, the Jabba laugh broke the rules too.

the rules with this #### only apply when they want it too or someone raises hell. they're written with so many loopholes, anyone with the patience of a lawyer can rip em apart

Ok, I'm going to post this one time. For the record, in addition to my brass staff duties at Teal Sound, I am also one of the sound engineers.

With regard to number 1: Communication by telephone, telegraph, smoke signals, jungle drums, signal flares, Star Trek communicators and mental telepathy are perfectly legal, from anywhere in the world (or space) to the corps staffer at the sound board. It was legal before 2010, but was specifically codified within the rules for the 2010 season. While iPad controls are not expressly mentioned, they are not codified as illegal either, hence the communication problem the Bluecoats had in Indy.

Number 2: DCI already provides a specific location set aside for sound engineers to sit/stand while in communication with the staffer at the board. They do so at ALL DCI REGIONALS and Indy. Period, dot, all stop. For example, in Allentown the camera platform just below the box on Side 1 was specifically reserver for corps video and sound engineers. In Atlanta the seat was in the Luxury Box on the 50.

At Lucas Oil Stadium, the sound engineer's seat was located on the camera platform in Section 440. They had a chair right on the 50 reserved with a really nice sign that said "Corps Sound Engineer" on it. For confirmation, you can ask Michael Boo, who's computer set up was on adjacent platform. What was really a nice touch was the signs DCI had posted at the elevator in the garage area telling us that "The sound engineer's seat is in Section 440". The platform was about 10 feet below the judges area, and was an excellent place to direct the mix of the show.

If you want to know where the other officially provided sound engineers eats were at other regionals, I'd be happy to tell you.

But you know, never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

Thank you for explaining all this to clear up the confusion of some of the others. This is all dead on.

Yes there is a rule and no they do not provide a place to locate sound engineers at every major show and championships. I was part of numerous conversations with show promoters about this very thing.

FYI - I am the coordinator of 2 shows in Kansas. As such I receive information from DCI on all aspects of running our show according to current DCI rules. This is information that I received prior to this years shows.

"Sound Board Placement

Each corps may use a sound board. Placement and operator may be anywhere on the “flat surface” of the arena, including outside of the competition boundaries up to the grand stands. An engineer may be in press box or high stands and will work with contest coordinator for best placement."

If the show promoters you talked to didn't know anything about this - then they didn't read their information.

Denita Stemet

Show coordinator of Wichita, KS and Hutchinson, KS shows.

FYI - I am the coordinator of 2 shows in Kansas. As such I receive information from DCI on all aspects of running our show according to current DCI rules. This is information that I received prior to this years shows.

"Sound Board Placement

Each corps may use a sound board. Placement and operator may be anywhere on the “flat surface” of the arena, including outside of the competition boundaries up to the grand stands. An engineer may be in press box or high stands and will work with contest coordinator for best placement."

If the show promoters you talked to didn't know anything about this - then they didn't read their information.

Denita Stemet

Show coordinator of Wichita, KS and Hutchinson, KS shows.

I am pretty sure that they are talking about 2 separate things. The issue is remote mixing, not placement of the sound board itself.

Also, in my experience it is not uncommon to run into show promoters that do not know what they are talking about.

I am pretty sure that they are talking about 2 separate things. The issue is remote mixing, not placement of the sound board itself.

Also, in my experience it is not uncommon to run into show promoters that do not know what they are talking about.

It's all part of the same topic. Two branches of the same tree, as it were.

"Sound Board Placement

Bolded part is the part on topic of whether or not show promoters should know about providing a place for sound engineer. And if we were to provide a place for one - it would be logical to assume it was to function as a sound engineer by communicating with the field engineer. At our shows the corps engineers that I saw doing it were on cell phones. So that also goes to the point about it not being legal. Clearly we were to provide a place for it to happen per DCI.

But again, except for regionals it was hit or miss if there was a location, and whether the contest coordinator knew about it, or cared about it...just sayin' that was my experience.

Donny