The Dream Contest

Man, and I thought I was gonna get razzed for putting 94 Devils and 02 Brigs both on the list!

"Razzed":

As long as you posted those corps WITH "VIGAH"!!! :thumbup:

With VIGAH"!!!!!! :devil:

Elphaba

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a full list here by any means, but I would have these corps in my lineup:

1971 Skyliners

1978 Sunrisers

1977 Bridgemen

1971 Blue Rock

Exhibition: 1978 Archer-Epler Musketeers

the rock was solid as a rock loved marching with them for a couple of years wished they would form a alumni corp competition type now that yankee rebels are gone they can all come back to the old Black&Gold!!!!!!!!

the rock was solid as a rock loved marching with them for a couple of years wished they would form a alumni corp competition type now that yankee rebels are gone they can all come back to the old Black&Gold!!!!!!!!

That would be awesome. Blue Rock's 1971 corps in particular was absolutely terrific. A show design... musically and visually... that was ahead of its time, IMO.

The corps I selected for this "Dream" list are corps whose performances at the Dream contests those years really stood out for me. Blue Rock and Skyliners from 1971 were both on fire that day!!!!

That would be awesome. Blue Rock's 1971 corps in particular was absolutely terrific. A show design... musically and visually... that was ahead of its time, IMO.

The corps I selected for this "Dream" list are corps whose performances at the Dream contests those years really stood out for me. Blue Rock and Skyliners from 1971 were both on fire that day!!!!

Loved almost all of 71 Blue Rock's show..never a huge fan of the "Camptown Races" part (think Crown's horse race for a modern day version!), but that exit of "Requiem for the Masses" and the center wheel to get them over the goal line!!!!!! :thumbup:

I've always thought of 71 BR as the height of 'old style' drum corps as opposed to ahead-of-it's-time drum corps...I thought Garfield, Madison, Cavies were the most avant garde corps of that year...though BR was better than all of them (us).

Loved almost all of 71 Blue Rock's show..never a huge fan of the "Camptown Races" part (think Crown's horse race for a modern day version!), but that exit of "Requiem for the Masses" and the center wheel to get them over the goal line!!!!!! :thumbup:

I've always thought of 71 BR as the height of 'old style' drum corps as opposed to ahead-of-it's-time drum corps

I guess I feel Blue Rock was ahead of its time that year mostly from the way the show was laid out... with the opener also being the color preseentation, that visual sequence in the exit that you referred to.... and the drum book, which was much more musical and less rudimental than many others from that era.

Those three other corps you mentioned were definitely ahead of the time that year.... especially the Cadets and Scouts, IMO.

Edited by Fran Haring

I guess I feel Blue Rock was ahead of its time that year mostly from the way the show was laid out... with the opener also being the color preseentation, that visual sequence in the exit that you referred to.... and the drum book, which was much more musical and less rudimental than many others from that era.

They did have some VERY neat percussion effects in Quiet Village. And yes, their opener of American Salute was also a color pre...so you may be right! I just always thought of them as the high point in Old Style East Coast drum corps....and they were 1st in drums at VFW Nats!

As a member of BR's Lead sop line in 1971, I think we were definitely cutting edge in a couple of areas....

First of all percussion.... In my opinion we helped set the pace in having a drum line that was musical ( with 8 snares no less), rather than just a group of pulse keepers....I'll never forget seeing Joe Morrella ( the Percussion head) conduciting the drum line in a pre-parade rehearsal of our Concert number "Midnight Cowboy" . Every voice (snare, double tenors, bass, tymps and cymbals) was coordinated to highlight or support what the brass line was doing.

Second the drill... all year long I watched the field judges running around clueless as to how to judge our marching show. Our diagonal company front in the opener was truly innovative... We were one of the few corps in '71 that had "pictures" ( Garfield and Anaheim also had them as I recall) on the field. A classic example was Camptown Races, where we actually formed an oval race track ( which I didn't even know was their until we watched a Charlie Haas (DrumCorpsVideos.com- he had two kids in the corps) at rehearsa), and used gurd members to form gates, before the horses took off.

The Camptown Races chart... when I first learned it I wasn't fond of it. In fact when we were going to play it off retreat at the Shriner's show ( where Garfield and 27th beat us due to a penalty), I thought, "Why are we playing this instead of blowing the fans away with American Salute... until I heard all the intricate brass tradeoffs that were going on between all the sections... then I undestood what a great arrnagement it was...

1971 was truly a great year for Junior drum corps!!!

RCC

2004 Renegades would be at the top of the lineup. :tongue: