The laws of music licensing

It's unfortunate, because the parts that are cut form the skeleton for the show. "Wanted, dead or alive" is obviously the theme, and the parts that portray that the most now have no audio.

From a personal standpoint, it really sucks for myself, along with the 10 other pit members from this year's Troopit, because two of our features are now cut from being heard.

What will really truly be an absolute miserable change is if they took out the trumpet solo leading in to the last big impact. After all, that is the "dead or aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........", then the brass come in to finish it. I will be truly upset if they took that out.

Edited by acolli17

It's unfortunate, because the parts that are cut form the skeleton for the show. "Wanted, dead or alive" is obviously the theme, and the parts that portray that the most now have no audio.

From a personal standpoint, it really sucks for myself, along with the 10 other pit members from this year's Troopit, because two of our features are now cut from being heard.

What will really truly be an absolute miserable change is if they took out the trumpet solo leading in to the last big impact. After all, that is the "dead or aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........", then the brass come in to finish it. I will be truly upset if they took that out.

Ummmm... anyone doing their homework would know that the song "Wanted Dead or Alive" has actually been on the Copyright Permission Restricted List for a few years; so it is no wonder there was an issue with securing all of the licenses for that particular chart.

Ummmm... anyone doing their homework would know that the song "Wanted Dead or Alive" has actually been on the Copyright Permission Restricted List for a few years; so it is no wonder there was an issue with securing all of the licenses for that particular chart.

My college marching band had a very similar themed show.. that used the same song as their opener last year. The had a bunch of videos on you tube... they had to be taken down very fast...

So I guess the Troopers 2010 show announcement video violated copyright law.

Ummmm... wasn't talking about that at all. I was saying that it sucks that that's the way that it is.

owned by the publishers and composers; (written into the Federal Constitution).

except that the founders never intended for copyright to last as long as it has now. originally it was 14 years plus an option to extend an additional 14 years if the author was still alive, not the current 'life of the author plus 70 years' or 95 years

... and on that Boo... is it true that you wrote a composition for the Cavies 35th in 1983, Jade (I believe)?

(Don't you love that you can go on DCP and actually often get things from the Horse's mouth?)

Perhaps you can share some insights on how things are different for both drum corps and DCI today regarding this licensing.

It's true. I made such an impression I haven't been asked to do anything similar ever sense.

All I know about licensing today is it's difficult and I expect it to get more difficult. Publishers have clamped down compared to several years ago. It's a totally new ballgame. That's why it takes someone like CopyCat Music Licensing to go through the process fully. Laws are changing often and different composers and publishers have different things they insist upon. Some will allow their music to be utilized, but demand a lot more money than normal. The problem here is if you pay one more, you have to pay all more. And that's why some pieces won't be performed again unless things change.

• Like 1

Ummmm... wasn't talking about that at all. I was saying that it sucks that that's the way that it is.

Ummmm... the way "it is" does not suck if you are the owner of the intellectual property! To me what sucks is if people in essence "steal" from the Copyright Owners by arranging, recording, performing, videoing, and selling those items without gaining permission and licensing.

except that the founders never intended for copyright to last as long as it has now. originally it was 14 years plus an option to extend an additional 14 years if the author was still alive, not the current 'life of the author plus 70 years' or 95 years

The Founders, in their wisdom, knew that abstract creations should be protected; and with the ever increasing situation of money changing hands with variations based on those creations (millions and millions of dollars in transactions though ticket sales, arranging, recording, performing, DVD's, Mp3's, etc) the increase in years of Copyright Protection for those creations is, in my opinion, both understandable and righteous.