How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

Of course, cymbal lines are no longer necessary because that's covered in the pit.

Just like contralines are no longer necessary, because their parts are covered in the pit.

...and snares, bases, and tenors aren't necessary because their parts are also covered in the pit. Or can be! :smile:

Edited by jjeffeory

Trust me, I get the point. Still, I don't see why the technique couldn't be perfected by the people in the pit.

It can. But, you can't do that and play mallets at the same time. And the time it takes to switch back and forth can be problematic depending on the arrangement. Not to mention what cymbal straps do to your hands. My least favorite combination as a multi percussionist is cymbals and mallets, because the straps cut into and cramp up my hands and then I'm supposed to do crazy things with 4 mallets and have it sound good. Not gonna happen.

Playing a cymbal with a stick or mallet isn't the same sound. Piatti is a brilliant tonal color that composers have preferred for centuries. They could have just as easily written for a suspended cymbal, but they didn't because the color and attack really work in an orchestral context.

Personally, I would make the cymbal line choice based on the style of music being played. Orchestral music is meant to have piatti for most cymbal sounds. Jazz and popular music is appropriate to a stick sound.

It can. But, you can't do that and play mallets at the same time. And the time it takes to switch back and forth can be problematic depending on the arrangement. Not to mention what cymbal straps do to your hands. My least favorite combination as a multi percussionist is cymbals and mallets, because the straps cut into and cramp up my hands and then I'm supposed to do crazy things with 4 mallets and have it sound good. Not gonna happen.

Playing a cymbal with a stick or mallet isn't the same sound. Piatti is a brilliant tonal color that composers have preferred for centuries. They could have just as easily written for a suspended cymbal, but they didn't because the color and attack really work in an orchestral context.

Personally, I would make the cymbal line choice based on the style of music being played. Orchestral music is meant to have piatti for most cymbal sounds. Jazz and popular music is appropriate to a stick sound.

I can agree with basing it on music choice most definitely.