Grab a bowl, It's time to dish: 2k11 Style

PrfctTimeOfDay

Can someone explain what Onyx's show is about -or what the idea behind it is - I'm totally lost!!!!

Later,

Mike

I totally do not get it either.. to me its basically last years show with a different floor and some quotes.???? wish they would do something together like a flag feature or more than a few counts.

on the other hand... LOVED carmel HS.. what an amazing show!!!!

I totally do not get it either.. to me its basically last years show with a different floor and some quotes.???? wish they would do something together like a flag feature or more than a few counts.

on the other hand... LOVED carmel HS.. what an amazing show!!!!

OK - nice to know I'm not alone :winky:

I did love Avon though - the '60's mod vibe to Strawberry Soup was very cool

Later,

Mike

Reviewing shows from the Indy Regional -

Onyx - wow.... I feel like its last year only.. better? The tarp is great and the costumes look neat. I found it hard to follow and there didn't seem to be much going on other than a lot of running around with some equipment work thrown in... I'll see it up close and personal this weekend at a circuit show so hopefully I can get a much better read. I have a feeling they are in for another medal at WGI.

O2 - I like it... it's very flag heavy (which is fine by me!) and the costuming lends itself well to their "tree" theme. Very interesting.. I don't care for the soundtrack myself, but again it works well with their theme.

Carmel - LOVE IT. Period. They are certain to get a medal at WGI. such ease of movement and equipment flow... great stuff!!

Avon - clean clean clean. I want to like it alot more than I did.

Warren Central - hmm I'm not feeling this show... two words come to mind - open class.

Center Grove - I hope they continue to improve all the way up to WGI... they have some neat things happeneing and I so want them to do well.

Lawrence Central - whoa. Not what I was expecting (or hoping for) from this group. I couldn't watch the whole show because the soundtrack was grating my nerves. They are talented and have some great choreography - I don't think this show allows that to come through very well. Costumes look great.

Greenwood - open class finals here they come!

Lake Central - loved it! Needs some cleaning and fine tuning of effects, etc but it is very sophisticated and will certainly set them apart from other units.

Naperville Central - LOVE IT. GReat stuff- I don't fully understand the show but that didn't bother me too much because they did such a great job selling it.

Westerville Central - Love it!! : )

Mt. Juliet - finals here they come! Need to clean up quite a bit, but lots of potential there. Glad to see them continuing to do well.

MBI - wow! Great music, great effects/staging. I hope to see them continue their successes for many seasons.

OK - nice to know I'm not alone :winky:

I did love Avon though - the '60's mod vibe to Strawberry Soup was very cool

Later,

Mike

You are NOT alone (because everybody hurts...sometimes) tongue.gif.

As far as I'm concerned, Onyx's show is just 5 minutes of people running around with ZERO ensemble moments. I honestly believe that if anyone else tried to do a show like that (or if Onyx tried to do a show like that 3 years ago), they'd be SLAUGHTERED.

Avon moved and spun well, as always, but IMO the show design was not up to their usual standards. I think they have quite a bit of potential to grow as the season progresses, though. I feel similarly about Carmel.

I'm excited to see Zydeco in a couple weeks - I wish they'd been in Indy!

Having only seen the show on fan network I have to agree about Onyx......when I watched the show I said the exact same thing as others have said, it was like people aimlessly running around tossing equipment periodically. I couldnt stand last years show, and I know this is wierd but everytime I saw the show it made me think of roaches circling a drain. This year it makes me think of flies and the platic is like fly paper. This is just nothing I would ever want to downlaod and watch lots of times. They do seem on their way to another medal, which will unfortunately only lead to many guards copying this same style. I appreciate the talented and prolific Miachael Lentz and his wanting to expand the horizona of the activity, I just do not think that this style is very "audience pleasing".

Another poster on another thread said that they were so happy to see Fahrenheit's show because it was FUN and the audiesnce loved it and that this was a nice change. So very true. There are just far to many groups that somehow equate drak, dreary and depressing with good. I know that music is a matter of taste and I personally love to see shows with either moving, beaustiful music (Corona) or fun, fun, fun music like Pride last year.....but some of the classical funeral procession sounding music I have heard this year just puts me to sleep.

on a positive note: I'd like to say Carmel is fabulous!!!! and I'm also really digging Avon! I think it's fun and fresh and look forward to seeing it once clean.

Blehhh. I'm not liking Onyx's show too much. I feel like it has something to do with an alien invasion or something. All of the randomness--the quotes, the floor, the running, the equipment work, the transparent flags...it's all killing me.

It took me a while to finally start appreciating "Sleeping Giant," so I'm hoping this years' show is better live. But as of now, I'd definitely put Fantasia, Blessed Sac, and Corona ahead of them.