Grab a bowl, It's time to dish: 2k11 Style

PrfctTimeOfDay

any thoughts on the houston regional A class guards or open or world?

I am saddened by what winterguard has become. I went to a WGI regional at Cal State Hayward and I was bored out of my mind. The shows as a whole just lacked the excitement factor.

I am saddened by what winterguard has become. I went to a WGI regional at Cal State Hayward and I was bored out of my mind. The shows as a whole just lacked the excitement factor.

That's a matter of opinion. I personally think that if the activity looked the same as it did 20 years ago, it would incredibly boring by now. And I find many of today's shows very exciting and moving - ESPECIALLY the pretty ("boring") shows that a lot of people seem to love to groan about. Whenever I think a show is just plain dull, I stop and think that SOMEONE had to be excited about it enough to design it.

...not to say that keeps me away from the concession stand. I'm sure 10 years from now when colorguard morphs into "performance art" that includes very little spinning or movement, however, I will groaning as well...lol

Edited by colorguardboy86

jmc5682 - I understand what you mean.. I love color guard and always will, but as time goes on I find myself looking back at programs from the 1980s and 1990s and thinking to myself "wow!! such creativity and excitement!" even with the "pretty" shows there is an element of excitement that is not always found these days. I just purchase old dvds/vhs tapes and keep them around to remind myself that color guard CAN be exciting - people just need to be willing to take a risk and go out on a limb and do a crazy jazz piece or something from a broadway show - who cares if it looks "dated", if the kids are good and execute the show it'll be great fun!!

My two cents anyway.

I thought last year's Independent World Class was the best ever from top to bottom (just my opinion), and alot of what I've seen so far this year is still great and entertaining, but like someone said earlier, if down the road, the activity turns into 'performance art', I can see alot of fans disappearing.

I'm all for pushing the envelope and trying new things, but when it starts veering away from actually being color guard, that may not be a change for the better in the activity. After all, what's more exciting than seeing great ensemble features and amazing spinning?

Always a love/hate relationship with Fan Network. Love getting to see all the guards around the country and what theyre doing. Hate how the trolls on here try to judge and nit-pick them based off of it.

I urge you all to keep open minds when watching videos. What you see on the screen can never compare to seeing it live. Good example is Corona this year. Interesting concept, but I'm not falling head over heels for it yet. And then I remember that it's still mid-February... in some crappy high school gym... on a pretty crappy resolution video. Once I see the performers faces and the passion they put into it with all the elements, I'm sure I'll fall in love with the show. After all, it's Corona.

As far as FUN shows go, who wants to see super hyped up shows all the time? This isn't a cheerleading competition. I appreciate a fun show every once in a while, but the true beauty in our activity is how we continue to push ourselves to think outside the box and explore the boundaries and limitations. It transcends throughout the community, and we (as a whole) continue to evolve. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. But even last years Fan Favorite, a FUN show, was trying to push the activity.

As to your comment "As far as FUN shows go, who wants to see super hyped up shows all the time?" I have to say WHAT?? ARE YOU CRAZY? Can you name 10 colorguards in the past 5 years in IND World Class finals that did a show that involved FUN, upbeat music with smiles on their faces? Not slow pretty smiling, I mean in your Face, smiling, aka Escapade Circa 1993 style????

I can't even think of 5, I think 1 out of every 100 guards does a FUN show. Going to a local circuit show I want to off myself by the time I get through Scholastic A class. Why are they all so slow and boring. people say thats playing the A Class "Game", hmmm anyone remember St.Ann's A Guard 1996 With their Cirque d Soliel show? They had FUN, I can't think of many guards since then that have FUN in that class. Its all getting too serious. Sure everyone loves technique, but the dreadful shows are taking over and making the activity hard to watch

True there may not be many still around. But I feel a lot of criticism is being directed at recent guards, when the shift has been happening for a WHILE now. Regardless, I see what it's become, and I'm still loving the IW DVDs from the past 5 years.

If you want to see a change, then be an active part in it. But whining that you don't like what you're seeing isn't helping anyone.

It's always fun to watch old guard videos. But this isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. It's 2011, and things are different. I repeat in saying, if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. Go to the concession stand, but you may be there a while.

• Like 1

True there may not be many still around. But I feel a lot of criticism is being directed at recent guards, when the shift has been happening for a WHILE now. Regardless, I see what it's become, and I'm still loving the IW DVDs from the past 5 years.

If you want to see a change, then be an active part in it. But whining that you don't like what you're seeing isn't helping anyone.

It's always fun to watch old guard videos. But this isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. It's 2011, and things are different. I repeat in saying, if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. Go to the concession stand, but you may be there a while.

Has nothing to do with if its 2011 or any other time. Art and pushing an envelope doesn't mean its being done just because some guru says its so.

Pride showed last year how to entertain in the biggest way. I think the top 3 in world showed great diversity and THATS WHAT IS NEEDED.

I have to laugh sometimes even at my own friends who will say or approve of anything just because so and so said it. So predictable..lol

Some great designers of today ( some ) are starting to realise that pushing the envelope sometimes means looking back and maybe even improving on it. SOME smart drum corps are doing the same.

I Think the tides will and have been turning and as far as the long wait at the concession stands maybe youre right...many would rather socialize there then experience yet another sob story show.

With that said I do think there is room for all types of shows and THIS SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED. I have heard WGI judges say this. The problem is they reward alot of the opposite. Maybe with Pride doing what they did as well as SCV and Onyx all being so different we can be entertained again. :smile:

http://chromotive.blogspot.com/2008/12/not-being-able-to-create-art-they-will.html

regarding onyx,reference the work of poet charles bukowski.