2011 DCA Repertoire

Spandy

Funny, I thought certain parts sounded totally like Blue Coats. Love the Dream arrangement though.

Well, there's only so much you can do to make it different...it IS still the same melody in the end.

The best example I can use is Cascades 2002...they played Bernstein charts Cadets has used previously, but they did such a unique take on them that I forgot they WERE Cadet charts in my mind. THAT'S what makes the difference.

Well, there's only so much you can do to make it different...it IS still the same melody in the end.

The best example I can use is Cascades 2002...they played Bernstein charts Cadets has used previously, but they did such a unique take on them that I forgot they WERE Cadet charts in my mind. THAT'S what makes the difference.

If there is anything to say about the music, it lends itself to a show that I hope makes babies thrown.

Its that good.

Hence, Sam, can you make it next rehearsal?

See you there.

Edited by Dmlkmen

• 3 weeks later...

The White Sabers organization are proud to announce their 2011 production of......."Rhapsody In Shades of Blue".

Movement I - "Blue Pop Rocks!"

- Blue Morning, Blue Day....(Foreigner/Lou Gramm)

- Blue by Eiffel 65.........(Jeffery Jay, Maurizio Lobina, Massimo Gabutti)

- Devil With A Blue Dress...(Fredrick Long, Mitch Ryder)

Movement II - "Blue Rondo In The Night"

- Blues In The Night........(Harold Arlen)

- Blue Rondo ala Turk.......(Dave Brubeck)

Movement III - "Rhapsody In Blue"

- Rhapsody In Blue..........(George Gershwin)

Visit our website at www.whitesabers.net for more information

Edited by contra331

High Country Brass Announces Music and Arranger for 2011 Show

The Music

The year was 1967. A new group took musical direction away from the then-current pop music, to meld rock and blues with horn arrangements and jazz improvisation. The creation of the band was fueled by the “brass-rock” ideas of The Buckinghams, as well as the early 1960s Maynard Ferguson Orchestra. The band was a hit with the audience, who liked the innovative fusion of jazz with acid rock and psychedelia.

In 1969 the band performed a five-song set on a rain-delayed Sunday night at Woodstock. In 1970 they won Album of The Year. The name of the band came from the lead musician who had earlier cut his hand, but was focused so intensely during his show that he hardly noticed the blood covering the keyboard he was playing until the music stopped.

The name of this group? Blood, Sweat and Tears

High Country Brass’ selections from the music of Blood, Sweat and Tears include:

“You’ve Made Me So Very Happy”

“Lacretia MacEvil”

“Sometime In Winter”

“Go Down Gambling”

But without a good arrangement, four songs would be simply 12 minutes of music. With one of the most talented arrangers and musicians in the drum corps world, four songs can become a symphony of sounds, textures and emotions utilizing all of the weapons in the drum corps arsenal.

The Arranger

High Country Brass is thrilled to announce that Frank Dorritie will be arranging our musical program this year. Frank has been an instructor and arranger for many of the top junior corps including Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cadets, Bluecoats, and the DCA Open Class corps, the San Francisco Renegades. Frank Dorritie was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 2004.

Frank has been playing the bugle and trumpet since the 1960s. He was the soprano soloist for 10 years with the Long Island Sunrisers before becoming their instructor and arranger. As a performer, Frank holds the DCA Soprano/Trumpet/Tenor Individual titles for 2003, 2005 and 2006. He is also a member of the Buglers Hall of Fame.

Not only has Frank been a performer, arranger and instructor, his audio engineering skills have earned him 9 Grammy nominations and 2 Grammys. He has performed with and engineered for many artists, including Kenny Burrell, Cal Tjader, Herb Ellis Trio, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Billy Cobham, Maynard Ferguson and Wynton Marsalis.

The Show

With percussion parts arranged by David Evans, guard choreography by Lisa Cowden, and drill design by George Lindstrom, HCB will take its 2011 show to a new level. Don’t miss the chance to witness the 2nd year of competition for Colorado’s only all-age drum and bugle corps.

Performers and spectators alike will be blown away!

• Like 1

Minnesota Brass seems to be suspiciously tight-lipped. They've usually announced their show by now...

I've heard some details about it, but I won't post anything until they announce it publicly. A lot of corps like to wait until they obtain rights to make the formal announcement.

I've heard some details about it, but I won't post anything until they announce it publicly. A lot of corps like to wait until they obtain rights to make the formal announcement.

I'm pretty sure they have the rights. But I am more curious about the original composition they commissioned... :)

I can't say anything right now, however I will say Alliance has a really good show this year! They have more than a chance of making top 5! It's gonna be a great drum corps season!

Shenandoah Sound Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to announce its 2011 field show: "Crazy for You" featuring the music of George Gershwin.

Selections for this year's show include "I Got Rhythm," "Embraceable You," "Slap That Bass," "They Can't Take That Away from Me," and "Someone to Watch Over Me."

The show was revealed to the corps' members at Shenandoah Sound's open house in Janurary 9 where the members read the opener, "I Got Rhythm."

The next rehearsal for Virginia's only drum corps is Janurary 23 from 10-5 at Manassas Park High School.

For a complete schedule of events, please see the BRAND NEW www.ShenandoahSound.org